Home

A Proposal for a New Passing Engine - Post Your Thoughts

This is a discussion on A Proposal for a New Passing Engine - Post Your Thoughts within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2003, 04:08 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: A Proposal for a New Passing Engine - Post Your Thoughts

if you ask me, that sounds like a great idea...i'd love to be able to just press harder on the stick and have the animations change...trying to push L2 all the time can be a pain in the arse...i'd welcome this change with open arms
Old 09-24-2003, 04:38 PM   #10
Bacon

CM1847's Arena

OVR: 19

Well thought out. It sounds pretty good to me but one thing is that Xbox uses the Y button to bring down passing icons, so holding it wouldn't allow you to preform running moves.......i also think pressing down on the analog stick could be used pretty well in helping smooth out your proposed system(maybe hold it down instead of L2?). But i think by far the best point you make is about the awareness rating, that's a very very good idea having that tie into where the ball is held. These are very good ideas but they are pretty large changes and will almost certainly have to wait until 2006 when new consoles result in a new engine, great thoughts though.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:14 PM   #11
Rookie

Personally, I think the scrambling controls are fine the way they are. The main reason is this: If you were to hold L2 and came unpon a situation where you had to juke (or L1), then you would have to maneuver you left finger so that it still holds L2 while pressing L1 with the right amount of pressure sensitivity needed. For me, that creates an awkward situation for your finger. I suppose you could use two fingers for L1 & L2, but that feels really weird. With L2 being a toggle(on or off) button, you fingers are free to use whatever move desired.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2003, 09:14 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 6

What they really need to change in regards to passing is letting the computer control your man.....I tried doing drop step passes in the pocket instead of backing up 10 yards, but nooooooo, while waiting for my reciever to run his route, the computer always throws the ball for me.......
Old 09-25-2003, 01:11 AM   #13
Darth_Dorn

OVR:

I'm fine with the controls for the exact same reason that HotrodderZ is. The whole juking thing just doesn't seem it'd work in my opinion. The running system isn't flawed at all. I do agree that different quarterbacks should hold the ball differently, but the running game is fine.

Old 09-25-2003, 10:16 AM   #14
Rookie

Quote:

HotrodderZ said:
Personally, I think the scrambling controls are fine the way they are. The main reason is this: If you were to hold L2 and came unpon a situation where you had to juke (or L1), then you would have to maneuver you left finger so that it still holds L2 while pressing L1 with the right amount of pressure sensitivity needed. For me, that creates an awkward situation for your finger. I suppose you could use two fingers for L1 & L2, but that feels really weird. With L2 being a toggle(on or off) button, you fingers are free to use whatever move desired.

i think you can get around this...while scrambling with the qb, allow the R3 stick to be utilized, but for qb only when fully scrambling..this will allow you to perform jukes and not have to worry about your left finger.. what do you think about that idea?
Old 09-25-2003, 07:43 PM   #15
Think Different

onetonmartin's Arena

OVR: 9

I like your ideas. Hopefully football gaming's next step will be to customize every NFL QB's mannerisms & motions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2003, 08:49 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 16

While I like your points about awareness and the varying points where the QBs should hold the ball, I disagree with your critique of scrambling.

You are basically suggesting that QBs in Madden should be able to scramble and throw seemlessly. While I agree that this would be accurate, it would make QBs almost superhuman. People could scramble around at full speed like Fran Tarkenton, and then be able to pass instantly.

I like the way it is now, because you have to commit to running with your QB - and give up your ability to pass - unless you use the run to set up a throw (like I often do with Kordell Stewart on planned rollouts - which are risky)...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »