Home

Oh my god! Best game EVER in Madden for me today!

This is a discussion on Oh my god! Best game EVER in Madden for me today! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2003, 04:54 PM   #1
Champs!

Kearnzo's Arena

OVR: 18
Oh my god! Best game EVER in Madden for me today!

Well, I just got done playing the best game of possibly my football life today in my Steelers franchise. Just so you know, it was with a fantasy draft, and my key players were Culpepper at QB, Ricky Williams at HB, Boston and Patten at WR, a really good O-Line, Kearse and Wistrom at ends, Jamie Sharper and Mike Vrabel at LB, and 2 80 or so CB's (can't remember who) and Sammy Knight as well.

Well, it was week two, and I was going into Kansas City pretty confident after winning in week 1 38-0 (on All Pro, it was just one of those lucky games in week 1 where everything goes perfectly right). Anyways, the game starts, and I check their depth chart to see who they have. It wasn't even fair. On offense, they had Bledsoe at QB, Fred Taylor at HB, and Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, and Plaxico Burress at WR! Their O-Line wasn't too great, and their D was pretty bad however.

Anyway, the game starts, and their first drive, Fred Taylor busts a 65 yard run for a TD. I figured alright, it's expected with their incredible offense. So they kick it off, and I return it 95 yards with Az Hakim for a TD, so I figured maybe I will stop them this drive. Nope, as Taylor scampers for a 27 yard touchdown, and I am starting to get frustrated with my defense. So next drive I get the ball, I drive down the field and score on a 29 yard pass to Boston for a TD. I kick it off, and yet again they drive down the field for ANOTHER Taylor touchdown, who is ripping me apart. He had 100+ and 3 TD's in the first quarter!

Anyway, it was basically more of the same until the fourth, however, a few things happened in between the 1st and 4th quarter, such as BOTH Ricky Williams and Culpepper fumbling for me and both resulting in a KC Touchdown. So, we head to the fourth...

As the 4th quarter started, KC had the ball, and I was down 17. So they get a decent drive going, and for just the FIRST time in the game, I force them to punt! I get the punt, and my free agent signing Desmond Howard returns it to the KC 40, giving me good field position. First play, I hand it off to Ricky Williams, and he breaks a couple tackles and scampers to the endzone for a 40 yard TD, his second of the game, which put him over 150 yards on the day. So I kick it off, and I get a three and out FINALLY! They punt it, and I am forced to fair catch at my own 30 or so. I put a VERY good drive together, and at one point, completed 10 passes in a row with Culpepper, but CRAP! Culpepper goes down with a pulled groin for a quarter, which means he would miss the 4th! So in comes my backup, AJ Feeley, who takes over at the KC 20 yard line. First play, I lob it into the back of the endzone to a loosely guarded Az Hakim, who makes the catch...but wait! I only got one foot in! So 2nd down now, I hand the ball off to Ricky, who busts a 10 yard gain, and I hurry to the line. I audibled to a pass, and hit Boston in the back of the endzone who barely keeps both feet in bounds for the Touchdown! So there is now 2:00 minutes left in the game, and I kick it off, down 55-52. They return it to about their 30 or so, and start their drive. Taylor rushes 3 straight times to pick up the first, and gets me down to one timeout. I then shut them down the next three plays, but waste my last timeout to stop the clock with 19 seconds left, and they are punting. I recieve the punt, and Howard breaks an AWESOME punt return to about the KC 30 yard line! So there is about 9 seconds left or so, and I am down 3. I call a VERY risky play to try and get closer to a field goal, but I see Boston out in front of the corner and safety downfield, so I HEAVE it long with Feeley to the back of the endzone, and Boston comes down with it!! But WAIT AGAIN, Boston didn't quite get two feet in bounds! So, this leaves me with 3 seconds, and I call Kris Brown in for the 47 yard field goal. He drills it right down the middle, sending the game to overtime!

So OT starts, and KC wins the coin toss, so I NEED a big defensive stop here. They get the kick returned to about their own 25, and start the drive. Predictably, since they have been running all over me the whole game, they hand the ball off to Taylor, but this time I am ready, and stuff him twice in a row. So, they have 3rd an 11 or so, and Bledsoe hits Burress on a post route, but RIGHT as he catches it, I clean his clock with Sammy Knight and jar the ball loose, resulting in an incomplete pass. So they punt, and Desmond Howard is on the attack again, and this time returns this one to the 50. So I run a couple passing plays, and wind up at 3rd and 1. I figure they will stuff the run, so I go with a quick WR screen with Culpepper to Boston, and he breaks a tackle and scampers all the way down to the 27 yard line or so, on the right hashmark. I take no chance at fumbling, and immediately call the field goal until on to go for the win. Kris Brown drills it square through the middle of the uprights, and I wind up coming out on top 58-55!

Honestly, that was probably in the top 3 greatest games I have EVER had in a football game in my life. It was a fun shootout, and I made a huge comeback for the win, which added to it. I don't remember having a game NEARLY this good or fun in any Madden games in the past, so I REALLY enjoyed it.

I hope you guys were able to read all that

So any of you guys have any other REALLY good games they want to share?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2003, 05:50 PM   #2
Bacon

CM1847's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Oh my god! Best game EVER in Madden for me today!

Sounds like a really crazy game. I don't mind having unrealistic games every now and then as long as they are fun like you had there, sometimes a little too much emphasis is put into getting extremely perfect stats......

anyway, i had another good superbowl(second in a row, i posted the first earlier). I took the Cowboys to their second straight superbowl(year 5 of my franchise). This time against he Titans. They come out storming off of the kickoff and take it all the way downfield, i stop them though to hold them to only a FG. Then their defense is absolutely nasty. I have NO time to throw the ball and they record a safety on my first drive. They take it again right down the field on my but, again, I hold for them to only a FG. Their defense continues to dominate but I start stopping them too, so we go back and forth till near the end of the first half. They have the ball and an aging Eddie George busts about a 40 yard TD on me to go up 15-0 at about the 2 minute warning. I get something going in the two minute drill but throw a pick in the red zone and we goto halftime down 15-0

Come out in the second half and get a TD on the board finally on a good drive capped by a 20 yard or so TD pass to Antonio Bryant. I stop them again and Antwan Randle El returns the punt for a TD. Down 15-14. late in the 3rd they put together nice drive which takes them into the 4th quarter and gets them a TD, they're up 22-14. I get the ball at about the 20 and run off an amazing 15-20 play drive lasting over 7 minutes and I punch it in with Curtis Martin to bring it to 22-20 with about 4 minutes left. I go for two but get stuffed. I kick it to them and they pick up a couple of first downs before i am able to stop them. I get it back with somewhere around 1:30 left in their territory after another good Randle El return. I quickly hit my 3rd WR(a rookie rated 67) to get at about the 20. I can't do anything with the next three downs, they called some TOs & i passed so I kick the FG to go up 23-22 but there's still about a minute left. They get it back and pick up a huge first down to get around midfield but times starting to run out. Derek Ross ends up jumping on a deep slant and picking it off to put the game to rest. He's player of the game with 2 INTs(but unlike Larry Brown he doesn't sign a huge contract with another team only to fade away... ).

But their defense was absolulelty nasty against me. I think they got 3 INTs and at least 5 sacks, Kearse & Carter were still on the ends in year 4 and they didn't let me breathe. A great game, probably my 2nd greatest single player game of videogame football(right behind the last Supebowl where I lost 24-21).
Old 09-24-2003, 09:27 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 11

Here is one I posted a long time ago, it was in Madden 2004:

Colts @ Chargers

Chargers (me) are getting dominated on both sides of the ball. I am 4-1 and want another win. I am down 34-14 at the start of the 4th quarter. After a few completions, I get into the endzone with my 22nd overall pick WR, Cedric Glaser.

So score now is 34-21, them, so I force them to punt, and return the punt for a TD! Now I am down by 6 with about 3 minutes left. I got worried because I was getting dominated on offense. THey drive to about the 30, kick a FG, and.....MISS! I am still in it with 2 minutes left!

On the second pass of my drive, Brees throws and INT, so I am like It's over. THey drive down to the 8 or so, and fumble! But they recover. However, next play......INTERCEPTED BY SAMMY DAVIS! Runs it all the way back for a TD, 103 yards!

There is 1:17 left, so I am getting worried they will score. THey march down the field to about the 50, and its tipped, and intercepted by Kwamie Lassiter! I do two run plays, and then kneel, game over, Chargers win! 35-34! 5-1!

To anyone who says there is comeback AI, it is for the human, not the CPU!

Old 09-25-2003, 10:21 AM   #4
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Respondendo a:

MSUSPartanPride said:

Yeah, I benefited from some Human Comeback code in 2003. It helped me back into a game that I was getting blown out it. Many people probably would have liked the excitement, but it just felt cheesy and unrealistic to me.

58-55 Sounds like a great game on NFL Blitz, but I thought most Madden folks preferred a sim type game. Just curious, but I suppose it is a testament to a game that can cater so well to both the sim and arcade crowd.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:21 PM   #5
Champs!

Kearnzo's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:

Cardot said:
Quote:

MSUSPartanPride said:

Yeah, I benefited from some Human Comeback code in 2003. It helped me back into a game that I was getting blown out it. Many people probably would have liked the excitement, but it just felt cheesy and unrealistic to me.

58-55 Sounds like a great game on NFL Blitz, but I thought most Madden folks preferred a sim type game. Just curious, but I suppose it is a testament to a game that can cater so well to both the sim and arcade crowd.

These types of games RARELY happen for me though, so it was a breath of fresh air. Most of my games are in the 10-20 point range, so it is realistic, but at the same time, you have to be ready for an occasional shootout.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »