Home

Madden on HDTV.. Please help! game Looks like crap

This is a discussion on Madden on HDTV.. Please help! game Looks like crap within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2012, 12:10 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Madden on HDTV.. Please help! game Looks like crap

to get better framerates it looks like they completely removed anti aliasing and any filtering settings from the ps3
Old 10-03-2012, 12:51 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by goNAVYbeatarmy
I just bought madden 12 for the PS3 so I can play it on my roommates big screen HDTV. Frankly, the graphics look like **** on this thing. Its a great TV, am I doing something wrong? Are there settings I can fix?
Im not a big techie so any advice will be greatly appreciated.
What im seeing is a very pixelated game especially when the action starts and when the camera zooms out. I feel as though I got a boot-leg version of Madde

Please help!
First off... HDTV picture settings really do make a HUGE difference when it comes to connecting the console to it. Also some games simply look better than others but let me just say this. I have a very high end Panasonic Plasma HDTV that i paid to have a guy come to my house and professional calibrate the picture settings...they dont just tweak the basic user settings of the HDTV but they go into "service mode" of the tv which the consumer cannot do this unless they find out the service code to get into it..i advise you not EVER do this unless you know what the heck you are doing..you can go to avs forums http://www.avsforum.com/f/ and learn all about making the HDTV picture settings look best as possible.

Anyways... my guess is this. Either the xbox or ps3 is not set to the correct resolution output..i.e. 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p ...OR the console is connected using regular RED, WHITE, YELLOW cables *three input plugs* which are composite cables..those are standard definition cables which cannot produce a high resolution picture....it can only do 480p at best.

As others have mentioned... you need HDMI or component cables..component cables are the RED, WHITE, BLUE, GREEN, RED...they have 5 inputs plugs. Component can do 720p and 1080i.... but not 1080p.

Just so you know the (i) means interlaced..which is a thing of the past and if you can avoid it..avoid it. (p) means progressive scan and it removes all interlaced lines you see on a tv display..personally the difference of 720p vs 1080i are minimal..its hard to tell the difference.

HDMI is the best you can go right now..which is full 1080p resolution ...you can learn about all this here at this quick guide http://reviews.cnet.com/hdtv-resolution/ HDMI is 100% digital while component is analog but honestly..component at 720p or 1080i look pretty close to HDMI...the main benefit of HDMI is that it carries a bit higher color bandwidth producing a richer image that some cant even notice to the eye and of course HDMI carries digital sound all in one cable..unlike component with its 5 cables.

HDMI and component cables are the only two that can do High Definition.

Oh by the way..make sure if your using component cables on a xbox 360 that the switch on the cables is switched to HDTV...the switch is located near the cable plug that you plug into the back of the xbox...there is a switch there.

Personally i think Madden 13 looks good...besides the jaggies, This year has more jaggies imho than some previous maddens. Unless my recent upgrade from my 52inch Plasma to my newer 58 inch plasma with the larger screen size brings out the jaggies more..which the bigger the screen you have..the more apparent the artifacts,etc are noticed to the eye.

One more thing.... never use "vivid" mode and never jack up the contrast or brightness to 100. People think it looks better but in reality if you go online look for a good guide for your tv adjustments ..you will see that contrast and brightness are never set to the max/100.

Sharpness is another thing that people abuse with their HDTV's... sharpness actually add's artificial elements to the picture to make it look sharper. Keeping sharpness set at half or 50% is where it should be.

So who knows what the problem is..but Madden differently is not a ugly game..its not the best looking game on current gen consoles but its definitely not the ugliest. I would say Madden 13 is probably one of the best looking madden to date....in some area's no but in other area's, yes.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:10 AM   #19
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moegames
Component can do 720p and 1080i.... but not 1080p.
Uh,yes component CAN do 1080p. It all depends on whether or not the T.V can accept the signal.

I know for a fact that it can,as this is how I ran my 360 20 gig model,and had no problems displaying a 1080P image.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Old 10-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #20
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Derek
The game is a huge step back this year. PS3 is very jaggy l;ooking, and the xox version is very soft and blurry.

pick your poison.
Man I feel you on the PS3...the jaggies these past 2 years in NCAA and Madden is off da hook. The worst thing about it is that when you see the close-up replays in Madden they look beautiful. But when the game is in motion...ugh!

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Old 10-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebizarrojerry
to get better framerates it looks like they completely removed anti aliasing and any filtering settings from the ps3

Also from the 360 version. But it looks like they softened the picture to hide it. The 360 isn't jaggy at all this year, but it is super soft.

If you A/b Madden 12 & 13 on the same TV, same settings, Madden 13 will look blurry
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #22
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Derek
Also from the 360 version. But it looks like they softened the picture to hide it. The 360 isn't jaggy at all this year, but it is super soft.

If you A/b Madden 12 & 13 on the same TV, same settings, Madden 13 will look blurry
Again, this is on 360. I didn't like Madden 12 on PS3...one of the reasons I went out and bought a Xbox again after having 2-3 go RROD on me,lol.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkcil
Man I feel you on the PS3...the jaggies these past 2 years in NCAA and Madden is off da hook. The worst thing about it is that when you see the close-up replays in Madden they look beautiful. But when the game is in motion...ugh!
LOL!
Here is Madden 13 during cut scenes & there 1080p rendered marketing videos:

Here is Madden during gameplay time:
Old 10-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #24
Rookie

Shogun613's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
Uh,yes component CAN do 1080p. It all depends on whether or not the T.V can accept the signal.

I know for a fact that it can,as this is how I ran my 360 20 gig model,and had no problems displaying a 1080P image.

It displayed a 1080p image b/c your TV scaled it to fit it's native resolution. All HDTV's do this. They cannot magically rearrange the pixels to show 720 or 1080. The only difference when not sending a matched resolution to the TV is that you are making it do extra work to get the image to display on itself. The actual difference is not noticed unless your TV is huge or if you're up close.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »