Home

Offensive Lineman Getting Extra Ratings Attention for Madden NFL 13

This is a discussion on Offensive Lineman Getting Extra Ratings Attention for Madden NFL 13 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-02-2012, 01:29 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Offensive Lineman Getting Extra Ratings Attention for Madden NFL 13

I think it's pretty obvious that this is a hint towards a large focus on OL interaction with new ratings. Why would they hire an Olineman to help with them meaningless ratings?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #10
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
I think it's pretty obvious that this is a hint towards a large focus on OL interaction with new ratings. Why would they hire an Olineman to help with them meaningless ratings?
This is what I was thinking too. How would a former Olineman EA intern have much knowledge about just ratings as we currently have them? This seems to allude to, like you stated, a focus on improving the representation of the position as a direct response to people proving you can put any player their and it doesn't matter.

If Olineman ratings begin to matter and maybe even giving them some specific DPP traits/tendencies, that potentially starts a domino effect. Olinemen are all about blocking, so to focus on Olineman's ratings actually differentiating how well they block, then impacts every player when trying to block, so that potentially changes how Special Teams are executed, along with obviously running and passing.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 10

Double-team pass blocking is a fundamental aspect of football and we have not had that since next-gen with Madden. It really doesn't matter how they do the ratings if this is nor accomplished. It just looks stupid, when u have a 3 man rush and 3 O/L are engaging and the other 2 are running in place like they on a marathon..lol. They have too add this like they did double-team run blocking, it's fundamentals of football. Also the blocking on special teams are terrible and we have complained about this for years. They need too get this right, or it's really not going too accomplish much with how they rate the players. The OL/DL have been a problem that the community have addressed for years and it's time too get it right, along with WR/DB interactions. FUNDAMENTALS EA get with it!!!!!!!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #12
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
This is what I was thinking too. How would a former Olineman EA intern have much knowledge about just ratings as we currently have them? This seems to allude to, like you stated, a focus on improving the representation of the position as a direct response to people proving you can put any player their and it doesn't matter.

If Olineman ratings begin to matter and maybe even giving them some specific DPP traits/tendencies, that potentially starts a domino effect. Olinemen are all about blocking, so to focus on Olineman's ratings actually differentiating how well they block, then impacts every player when trying to block, so that potentially changes how Special Teams are executed, along with obviously running and passing.
Never know about EA. It's not like their current ratings guy knows what the ratings do other than change the OVR.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #13
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJOHNS18
Never know about EA. It's not like their current ratings guy knows what the ratings do other than change the OVR.
I get that but in Moore's defense, I am not sure if it's him or the leadership perspective that has lead to the current seemingly arcadey ratings system. I say this because if I am not mistaken, Moore worked with Looman on the player ratings for HC09 and people loved the ratings in that game.

That's why my central gripe about Madden has been pin pointed to the POV that realism and fun are at odds with each other and my belief that M13 will be better is because that no longer seems to be espoused. The POV now seems to be authenticity and I can only hope that includes player ratings for M13.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #14
Banned

Cre8's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
Ratings without animations are meaningless in this day and age.
You are right, but in the current gen we still have to deal with Canimations that don't really allow the game to progress organically. It is disappointing to see that they think they can fix everything by adding more ratings.

There are other things to worry about at this point and I am sad to say that my interest in this game is starting to die by the minute. I don't want the hype machine to start up or anything... but at the same time, I feel like by the time this game starts to play like we want it to we will be buying the XBox 720 and PS4.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #15
Banned

I don't believe it's canned animations, because allpro2k8 had excellent blocking in the initial contact at the line and at the second level of the play. We can't let EA get away with this that they can't do it, because other next-gen games have done it. I believe that because they wanted to cater too the casual gamer and tournament crowd, they have dummed down the fundamentals of football for a more open and RUN & GUN style of gameplay. THE Lack of pass interference is one example of catering too the casual gamer, because it's not stopping the run back 15 yards and throw 60 yards and complete a leaping catch style. It would be more strategy involved when doing plays and going for catches on the defense. Also since offensive pass interference is none existent, the players only mirror each other as they go for the ball, no fighting at all.

Consumers have evolved and when they see other games like THE SHOW and NBA2K series, that it's all about the simulation style of gameplay and it's selling well, people are like since Madden is the only NFL title I can buy, they want that as well and the casual style of gameplay is fading away. We are getting older and we want too play what we see on TV. That means penalties, correct blocking technique, fighting for the possession..etc etc. If EA continue with that DAVID ORTIZ gameplay style, they will continue too lose there base and sales will continue too drop every year. Madden2011 still have sold more copies than Madden2012 globally. Its funny, because in the beginning u heard about the 15% initial jump in sales, after that and people started too play Madden again and start saying " Here we go again" the sales stayed flat and dropped ever since. So that Corporate mindset has too change at EA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #16
You know why I'm here...

jWILL253's Arena

OVR: 25

I think I'm on to something.

I think the problem with the OL/DB ratings and interaction may have to do with the positions on the line. Judging my the way the game plays, it seems that guards are better run blockers than pass blockers, while the opposite is true for tackles. I don't know if that theory plays out in the real NFL, but maybe that's why defensive tackles get more sacks than defensive ends and outside linebackers.

I'ma look at all the ratings of all the offensive linemen in Madden 12, and see if my theory is correct. If so, then the fix would be to balance out the ratings a bit...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »