Home

Your favorite should be a bust draftee

This is a discussion on Your favorite should be a bust draftee within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-04-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
Denny 3K

HighCmpPct's Arena

OVR: 28
Your favorite should be a bust draftee

In year 2 of my Jags chise, and i drafted this LE Tiger Clay 66ovr with C pot.

He hasn't exactly put up great stats not starting either, but the mans a beast at coming off the block almost never gets caked or slowed down when hes in the game.(He doesn't get sacks either but puts on great pressure)

So just wondering if anyone else has a story about a should've been draft bust that actually played well for ya?

Join us in the 3K Gaming Discord for the best Sim Sports Setups!!
3K Gaming Discord

Check out my 6-League NYC Universe Chise in the Discord and my YouTube!
Denny 3K Gaming

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
All Star

azdawgpound's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Your favorite should be a bust draftee

i had a wr i drafted cant remember his name but he had F pot but dude was a beast caught everything thrown his way had a monster riookie season over 1,000 yards recieving like 89 catches and then for some odd reason he was removed from the game after his rookie season pissed me off because he was my #1 target because others would drop ball way to much. he also had like 98 speed 95 acc.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdawgpound
i had a wr i drafted cant remember his name but he had F pot but dude was a beast caught everything thrown his way had a monster riookie season over 1,000 yards recieving like 89 catches and then for some odd reason he was removed from the game after his rookie season pissed me off because he was my #1 target because others would drop ball way to much. he also had like 98 speed 95 acc.
@the bold: Wait, the game took him off your roster and he disappeared? That's crazy.

For me, I have a WR that was disappointing out of the draft - had speed and quickness, and I thought he'd be something - came out as a raw C potential player. I was like "ugh" and put him at #5 in the depth chart.

Then my #4 guy (who was also my KR/PR) got hurt so this kid had to step in. First game or two, it's like he had rookie jitters or something. Muffing punts, doing nothing on offense when I call 3 and 4 WR sets.

But then last game, he stepped up. Got some decent returns and caught what would be the game winning TD pass on a 78 yd catch and run. Since that, I moved him up to #3. Never know when he might sneak through the secondary out of the slot.

I did try some 57 OVR DE, but he just...wasn't ready lol. I think he really wil be a bust, although at least he was a 7th rounder.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
All Star

azdawgpound's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
@the bold: Wait, the game took him off your roster and he disappeared? That's crazy.

For me, I have a WR that was disappointing out of the draft - had speed and quickness, and I thought he'd be something - came out as a raw C potential player. I was like "ugh" and put him at #5 in the depth chart.

Then my #4 guy (who was also my KR/PR) got hurt so this kid had to step in. First game or two, it's like he had rookie jitters or something. Muffing punts, doing nothing on offense when I call 3 and 4 WR sets.

But then last game, he stepped up. Got some decent returns and caught what would be the game winning TD pass on a 78 yd catch and run. Since that, I moved him up to #3. Never know when he might sneak through the secondary out of the slot.

I did try some 57 OVR DE, but he just...wasn't ready lol. I think he really wil be a bust, although at least he was a 7th rounder.
yea i looked threw all rosters of teams and FA pool and he was nowhere to be found i asked around after it happened and i got the response its because had F pot which i find odd.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Banned

goravens2052's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdawgpound
yea i looked threw all rosters of teams and FA pool and he was nowhere to be found i asked around after it happened and i got the response its because had F pot which i find odd.
Wow, that's stupid. I'm thinking you should have just raised his potential to something better if he was doing well, that way he could progress the way he should too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

I found an UDFA DE who was rated like 63 ovr with C potential, but he had 99 power moves and 99 pusuit. I've tested this pretty entensively and the number one player rating that determines if the DE wins the battle at the line of scrimmage is power moves. Needless to see this guy could get after the QB. Some of his other ratings were poor. He was slow, like 62 speed, which is odd considering he was only 254 lbs. And he had really low awareness, but I've found awareness to be a non factor with DE's. You get some players with really strange ratings when they are UDFA's.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Agreed. I always chuckle at the 50 spd WR and such. And the player you described is why OVR is pointless. He's effective "in spite of" a 60 ovr.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabs2
I found an UDFA DE who was rated like 63 ovr with C potential, but he had 99 power moves and 99 pusuit. I've tested this pretty entensively and the number one player rating that determines if the DE wins the battle at the line of scrimmage is power moves. Needless to see this guy could get after the QB. Some of his other ratings were poor. He was slow, like 62 speed, which is odd considering he was only 254 lbs. And he had really low awareness, but I've found awareness to be a non factor with DE's. You get some players with really strange ratings when they are UDFA's.
The only problem I've found with low Speed is that more often than not, those slow DEs give the QB a lot of time to get rid of the ball before the DE gets there, that's why I love using the LB Pass Rush sub package on 3rd & long because those 85+ Speed LBs are getting there so quickly.

While Awareness doesn't seem to have any impact on pass rushing as such, I've found it to be somewhat relevant in run defense, at least I get the feeling that players with high Awareness are more "drawn to the ball" than those with low, you will often see Dlinemen with low awareness simply running away from the ballcarrier or missing him while veterans with high AWR always seem to get in the way and make the tackle.

That's just my subjective opinion, of course there's a ton of ratings that could play a role in this (Play Recognition? or is that only against Play-Action? I'd really wish EA was telling us what those ratings actually do...)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »