Home

Do ratings mean a darn thing?!?

This is a discussion on Do ratings mean a darn thing?!? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Do ratings mean a darn thing?!?

So I was wondering when it was going to happen... but I finally played a "classic" game of Madden online.

I was the 49ers and he was the Dolphins and he was just running the same play over and over again. A simple go route with Marshall and a deep out to Bess. If Bess was covered, he threw deep to Marshall... with Moore. Yes, 86 Throwing Power 73 Deep Accuracy Matt Moore. I would go for he user pick, drop one or two and then he would complete one for the first or a TD. If it was only for a big first down, it was time to throw another dropped user pick and then another completion to Marshall.

As my title suggests, how was he even able to throw such consistently accurate and deep passes with those ratings?

On top of that, I couldn't win a dice roll to save my life. I had SO MANY dropped user pick attempts. Then when I got a pick with Willis... the ball gets striped and recovered by the offense. Running the ball, I couldn't get pas the LoS thanks to my blocks getting instantly shed at the snap by the AI, not even user control. I just don't get it... other than my Center, I have an amazing run blocking line. Silly me for trying to play football.

P.S. I have always said there are WAY too many dropped picks in Madden online. It really makes me sick. Before the game I talked about in my thread, I had 1 pick and 5 dropped picks in a close game. In the few games where my team actually catches the user picks, it gets out of hand really fast and leads to quits. People should be punished for making mistakes. I am, and have always been in favor of punishing the user for messing up, not giving him a do over and 14 second chances. Don't give me the "it's game/fun" argument. Fun for who? Not for me.

Last edited by PGaither84; 02-23-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Do ratings mean a darn thing?!?

I've actually had pretty good experiences getting picks in online games. But, I understand your frustration. It's like defenders hands are made of stone. In my franchise, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie drops a TON of picks and he had like 86 catching. That's really high. The problem is that they don't want someone throwing like 10 INTs in one game. And if defenders caught all the passes that touched theirs hands, 10 INTs per game would probably be the norm. The problem with this is the way the pass defense works. You have three main options that lead to an incomplete pass: a drop by the receiver, a deflection by the defender or an interception (attempt) by the defender. You'll see the occasional overthrow, but that doesn't happen too often.

The problem is there is too much contact with the ball. There are too many drops and too many failed INTs. In real life, most incompletions are poorly thrown passes that miss the receiver. In Madden, they try to replicate the completion/ incompletion ratio by increasing drops, deflections and interception attempts. That's the main problem. And since they don't want to have so many INTs, they just make them dropped INTs.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

scene you talking about Accuracy im going to add my 2 cents on the rating part lol (not like it matters but o well)

the Speed and Acceleration in this game as no impact on this game ill give example.

DeJon Gomes is a FS 85 Speed and 82 Acceleration can keep up with Desean jackson in the slot for 65+ yards and jackson got 100 speed and 97 Acceleration with the threshold is at zero..

Old 02-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbranson
The problem is there is too much contact with the ball. There are too many drops and too many failed INTs. In real life, most incompletions are poorly thrown passes that miss the receiver. In Madden, they try to replicate the completion/ incompletion ratio by increasing drops, deflections and interception attempts. That's the main problem. And since they don't want to have so many INTs, they just make them dropped INTs.
Completely agree.

I wish for the day where there's more "plain" incomplete passes than all this dropped INT/tips/drops by WR stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshawnLynch
scene you talking about Accuracy im going to add my 2 cents on the rating part lol (not like it matters but o well)

the Speed and Acceleration in this game as no impact on this game ill give example.

DeJon Gomes is a FS 85 Speed and 82 Acceleration can keep up with Desean jackson in the slot for 65+ yards and jackson got 100 speed and 97 Acceleration with the threshold is at zero..

Yeah, the speed threshold thing is just screwy. Low is supposed to increase the difference in running/movement speeds...yet this happens.

Sometimes it doesn't happen, sometimes the speed WR is stuck to like glue on a simple fly route where all the WR needs is raw speed.

Last edited by KBLover; 02-24-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 28
Pg, what kind of fronts are you running against? Do you adjust your line when you run? Do you utilize your fullback? If you ate attempting to run against 8 or 9 in the box you aren't going to have much success, regardless of your line. Try adjusting your line depending on what front the defense is showing you and attack that bubble. I know in our game I ran mostly a 4-3 under defense which is tough to run on.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbranson
I've actually had pretty good experiences getting picks in online games. But, I understand your frustration. It's like defenders hands are made of stone. In my franchise, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie drops a TON of picks and he had like 86 catching. That's really high. The problem is that they don't want someone throwing like 10 INTs in one game. And if defenders caught all the passes that touched theirs hands, 10 INTs per game would probably be the norm. The problem with this is the way the pass defense works. You have three main options that lead to an incomplete pass: a drop by the receiver, a deflection by the defender or an interception (attempt) by the defender. You'll see the occasional overthrow, but that doesn't happen too often.

What causes there to be such few underthrows and overthrows and madden, and what do you think the madden team could do to fix that problem?
Old 02-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

I try to use the slide protect feature, but that doesn't look like it does a darned thing in the running game. What else do you mean?

Sometimes I use my FB. Sometimes I don't. That doesn't have anything to do with Anthony Davis or Adam Snyder having their blocks instantly shed at the line.

When I have a hard time running the ball, it's almost all game long. Not just a play here or there. I am not asking for pancakes or huge holes, but when I take the hand off, I don't want two people in my face and getting tackled for a loss... only to see my RG and or RT running down field not blocking anyone. They have 92 and 95 Run blocking strength. That is supposed to help determine how well/long they hold their blocks. I guess asking for more than 1 second is too much at times. I don't mind getting stuffed thanks to good gap control and pursuit. I mind it hen it feels like the ratings don't matter.

Why is it that Matt Moore can fire pin point long bombs play after play while my line can't hold a block? Oh... because that is how the game is tuned. The game is still fun... when you aren't getting killed by bad luck/bad dice rolls.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
When I have a hard time running the ball, it's almost all game long. Not just a play here or there. I am not asking for pancakes or huge holes, but when I take the hand off, I don't want two people in my face and getting tackled for a loss... only to see my RG and or RT running down field not blocking anyone. They have 92 and 95 Run blocking strength. That is supposed to help determine how well/long they hold their blocks. I guess asking for more than 1 second is too much at times. I don't mind getting stuffed thanks to good gap control and pursuit. I mind it hen it feels like the ratings don't matter.

Why is it that Matt Moore can fire pin point long bombs play after play while my line can't hold a block? Oh... because that is how the game is tuned. The game is still fun... when you aren't getting killed by bad luck/bad dice rolls.

You can curtail some of that with sliders, but it definitely needs fixing, especially since online play doesn't have the option for sliders - even if they could fix everything.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »