Home

Madden 12 Draft Strategy Guide

This is a discussion on Madden 12 Draft Strategy Guide within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
Madden 12 Draft Strategy Guide

Hello all, after reading last year's excellent by PGaither, I realized I was ill-prepared for this year's fantasy draft. I realized I needed a Potential Guide to work off of, and a clear grasp of how the system and Madden work. I made my own Potential Guide WIP , which is now complete!

The only thing left to do is add the walkthrough to help the lost like me. This is my first attempt at a guide with commentary, and it will not be finished immediately. I hope to have it finished by soon, but I do not want any restrictions as I have no idea how long this will take.

Also, my restrictions for players are harsher than PGaither's. For example, only 4 quarterbacks will be suggested as possible starters. I also value overall MUCH higher than PGaither, and I rarely draft someone that does not have A potential at under 25 years old. I have also checked all of players with the excellent Player Ratings Guide, which shows progression after a couple of years. Incredibly useful utility.

Anyway, in the style of PGaither, here goes.

Finished
  • Quarterbacks
  • Half-Backs
  • Full-Backs
  • Wide Receivers

WIP
  • Offensive Tackles

Offense
Spoiler

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Last edited by funnyfiggy; 04-03-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Madden 12 Draft Strategy Guide

Thank you! It's looking good, and you understand all the time Ihad to put into mine.

I wouldn't focus on the OVR rating. Focus on individual ratings. That's where the real sleepers are. Players who are young and may not have all the skills, but have the skills you need. Maybe their Awareness rating is what is really low keeping their OVR lower than it "should" be.

I just got the game one week ago and I may build something like this, but last year I started my project early in the season and continued to update it until the final roster file.

For me, the trick was to list all of the A potential players, then cut out everyone who was already a star. Those are the sleepers who are supposed to progress. Next, I went back in and looked at players who may not have A potential but have specific skill sets. For example, a Defensive lineman with 90+ block shedding but no pass rushing moves would be good for short yardage situations and as a back up. Another might be a linebacker with 85+ speed and nice tackling. He may not have any coverage skills, but he can run sideline to sideline to try and stop fast HBs or just rush the passer... just make sure to blitz with him every play he is on the field... don't ask him to do too much.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
Rookie

I don't play every game; I only play about 6 per season, so it is really hard for me to put in a player so limited in their abilities. Also, in a 4-3, wouldn't it be better regardless to have a DE with pass rushing moves.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

Yeah, a 4-3 lineman should be a pass rusher first. That's why I tried my best to make a thorough guide that can cater to various users.

Another problem is that Madden doesn't have a realistic pass rush or line interactions.

Some people DO want to play each game with their fantasy team and on the back end of the draft you are not going to find too many well rounded players, so it's also good to identify the better back ups. I ply with 54-56 fatigue and players rotate in and out more often that way, and it is far more realistic, so it's a good idea to have the kind of back ups you want too.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
Rookie

I definitely plan on identifying the backups and the personnel for each formation. I hate switching people's positions, so it will be a fairly narrow personnel section for each set. Though, some players will likely make an appearance in both(J.J. Watt, Von Miller etc.)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Rookie

Crunk3nstein's Arena

OVR: 0

Can't wait for it to be finished, I've been using your potential guide and it has been really helpful!
Old 02-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
Rookie

Whenever I put a spoiler tag over the wide receiver position, it totally bugs out on me and adds either one dummy spoiler tage with nothing in it or 4. Can I get a moderator to fix this for me? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

You might have to check your HTML code... your original post can look like a mess after while, trust me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »