Home

What does simulation mean to you?

This is a discussion on What does simulation mean to you? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #73
Pro

StayPlation82's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: What does simulation mean to you?

I feel like a sim game doesn't need signature animations to be sim or immersive. because then i don't know what is being simulated. the sport, the player himself or the idea. like since it's NFL and Manning is in the NFL his thowing mechanic should be in there. it does add immersion and in that "true" sim it would be apart of it.

and that has me thinking...do we want a corner to play corner? yes. do we want a corner to play like champ bailey does? yes. do we want the AI to think like champ bailey? how? not that anyone asked the question!
Old 03-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #74
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayPlation82
I feel like a sim game doesn't need signature animations to be sim or immersive. because then i don't know what is being simulated. the sport, the player himself or the idea. like since it's NFL and Manning is in the NFL his thowing mechanic should be in there. it does add immersion and in that "true" sim it would be apart of it.
It's simulating what you see on Sundays pal .

Using myself as an example, signature animations was one of the reasons I put 2K5 down after M10 launched. I think 2K5 still offered more in respect to polished gameplay, but M10 was solid enough in gameplay + the inclusion of player likeness boosted my immersion.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #75
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

I agree, Russ. That is why I like 2K basketball so much. It's the combination of gameplay & player likeness. It's also why I couldn't get into 2K8, in part. Too many players I couldn't identify with.

I think some signature animations could add to the gameplay as well. Quick releases, footwork, body control animations, etc. Players having access to certain animations could certainly have them perform better than others.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #76
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayPlation82
and that has me thinking...do we want a corner to play corner? yes. do we want a corner to play like champ bailey does? yes. do we want the AI to think like champ bailey? how? not that anyone asked the question!
I think positions have styles and reproducing those styles would do a lot for replicating players.

For corners, some are more physical. Some rely more on their speed & quickness. Some anticipate & gamble more. Some have better ball skills.

RBs... power backs, scat backs, receiving threats, good blockers. Some cut back more than others. Some are better between the tackles vs on the edge.

WRs... deep threats, route runners, physical dominance, leapers. Some are better over the middle while some are better outside the numbers.

I think these styles would do a lot for play calling for bother user & CPU as well as separating their performance on the field.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #77
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

It almost seems that 7 years of having only one licensed NFL game has stunted some people's expectations about what's possible in a football "sim".

I honestly don't read or think I have suggested too many things that if added to Madden would increase the realism, that already hasn't been done, in some form, in another game. So the notion that myself or others are asking for EA/Tiburon to do the impossible with Madden, I completely disagree with.

Madden 12 blew me away with the premise of DPP and if somebody suggested it back in 2008 or so, which somebody probably did, there would be somebody else saying how grandiose it is, which there probably was. Just because Madden hasn't done or isn't currently offering something doesn't mean it's beyond the scope of being added, possibly in one year.

Madden 13 has allegedly doubled the development team with a central focus being on NFL authenticity and I can't wait to see how that translates into the final product. Some people think that a lack of imagination is what causes many people to not be able to enjoy Madden for what it is but I believe the opposite is true for me. My ever expanding imagination for what Madden should be offering by now, fueled in part by what other games have and are accomplishing, prevent me from being able to accept most of what has been offered in Madden as "sim" this generation.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #78
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31
I'll make it simple: "sim" is when you finish a game and say "THAT was football!" if Madden makes you do that, it succeeds at being a simulator. It's all relative.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #79
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Just wanna drop in and say good thread/discussion here fellas. Really enjoying the read.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 03-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #80
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
This isn't directed at you, just that this sentence was a good one to quote for what I'm about to ask.

Why are people anti-stats?

Maybe I don't get it because I like the stats side of sports just as much as physical/mental/strategic/tactical side that's on the field, and use as many data points as I can in my own testing for production as well as game play.

Obviously, it's not going to match 100%, but it should be plausible, imo. If I run the Ravens like the real Ravens, I want to give Rice tons of catches. I want to see Suggs rack up sacks, Lewis to dwarf the other LBs in tackles, etc.

How can that not be part of the equation for realism? If Flacco gets 6000 yds - wouldn't that be a problem?
For me, it's because stats are relative to what users do. If I'm playing online and my opponent wants to try and rush 7-8 guys every single play, would it be unrealistic for Joe Flacco to pass for an NFL record day in yardage?

Choosing to manually control Suggs means the user decides how often he rushes the qb and how often he drops into coverage. Then it depends on how good they are at the game that decides if he gets a sack or not.

I don't see how people can expect "realsitic" stats when this is the case.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »