Home

Why Do O-lineman Suck So Bad?

This is a discussion on Why Do O-lineman Suck So Bad? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
Rookie

sologamer69's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Why Do O-lineman Suck So Bad?

Don't use auto sprint it stay's off. Also don't think I'm bad at running the ball or anything I usually get over 100 yards and around 150 or so but when it comes to seeing stuff like that I almost go off the handles. And truthfully I'll handle the run it's the fact that with a 85+ overall o-line I can't get more than about 2-3 secs in the pockets with a 3 man pass rush.

Last edited by sologamer69; 03-08-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65

Its perspective. Dont put so much stock in overalls but instead look at individual ratings (pass block strength/footwork) and matchups. Your best pass blocker should be @RG imo. This is done to combat the overdone DTs. It works. Its what I do. My LT plays RG. As far as being sacked after 2-3 seconds. just use quick passing/3 step drops until you get the personnel that you want. Also it helps to know all your hot reads and protections. From my experience this years O line play is solid. I only play online and Online franchise but same principles apply.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713

..Typically, this happens when you're running an ISO or HB Dive with no double-team up front and you're hitting the sprint button while you're in the backfield. Try to stay off the sprint button until you get to the line of scrimmage...

Even so, you will still see the O-line miss blocks. If it becomes too bad to handle, run from a formation with a fullback to give yourself one extra protector. Stay on his butt until he engages - then cut away from the defender's exposed shoulder....

This happens when you press SPRINT. When you sprint, the defenders sprint. Any defender that is engaged doesn't SPRINT, they PUSH to disengage. When you see the defensive linemen break blocks at the same time, it's 99.9% because you have pressed SPRINT while still in the backfield.

Don't sprint til you get to daylight - but be warned - this is one of the toughest habits to break....

Hopefully somebody from CD can answer this but did this get discussed at CD by anyone and do you personally have an issue with how this works?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Hopefully somebody from CD can answer this but did this get discussed at CD by anyone and do you personally have an issue with how this works?
I didn't talk about it, but it was a big room with people all over - someone might have. I only have access to my own notes, so I can't be sure. I might have asked if not for the other 151 pages worth of other stuff I was trying to get to. LOL

Personally, I don't have an issue with the premise of having defenders sprint when the ball carrier sprints, nor with the sprint being a push for engaged defenders. The connection between ball carrier and defender could be more organic - but I do understand the link.

Later
Old 03-09-2012, 01:00 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
I didn't talk about it, but it was a big room with people all over - someone might have. I only have access to my own notes, so I can't be sure. I might have asked if not for the other 151 pages worth of other stuff I was trying to get to. LOL

Personally, I don't have an issue with the premise of having defenders sprint when the ball carrier sprints, nor with the sprint being a push for engaged defenders. The connection between ball carrier and defender could be more organic - but I do understand the link.

Later
Does this happen with auto sprint on?
Old 03-09-2012, 04:45 AM   #14
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
Does this happen with auto sprint on?
No idea. I've never intentionally played a game with Auto-Sprint ON. If you make me guess - I'd say probably. But it would only be a guess.

Later
Old 03-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 3

TNT is right. The way Madden works is that defenders react automatically to button presses to simulate awareness. If you hit the sprint button, defenders will automatically come off their blocks and come get you, and when you are in the semi-open field (i.e., when you are one or two blocks away from daylight), it seems like your blockers react to it as well, tending to spin around and run behind you instead of blocking ahead once the sprint button is enabled. You almost always have to save it until you are running to daylight if you don't want exceptionally wonky CPU behavior to manifest.

I've found success in runs between the tackles by waiting for the blocks to set up, and then angling toward my o-lineman's outside shoulder without hitting the speed burst. He'll inevitably let the defender beat the block as soon as you are about to run by, but the CPU defender will beat the block to the side away from the hole, letting you oftentimes cut back in without running right into a disengaged defender. If you're running an ISO, this is especially effective, because your FB should pick up the LB playing the gap, and unless the defense is running a double-A gap blitz or some sort of pinch technique, you should get a fair amount of yards.

Similarly, has anybody noticed that the protect ball button, or the angled "lean" with the RS often seems to have the opposite effect, making your RB invisible to defenders?

I think with auto-sprint on, the CPU is rather conservative with when it engages the auto-sprint, so if you use it, these problems should be minimized.

Madden AI players reacting to button presses and not to any kind of procedural vision and awareness is something that mars a lot of facets of the game. I really hope this can be quelled within a development cycle or two (but that's a rehash of a million other threads).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2012, 12:37 AM   #16
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephyW
TNT is right. The way Madden works is that defenders react automatically to button presses to simulate awareness.
Would be interesting if this effect was curtailed by AWR (or allowed only for high AWR defenders). Wonder if that would at least put a ratings differential on it and let elite intellectual players have something of an edge. Smart players would "input read" more often than stupid ones.

Of course, it would be best if it's gone, but barring that, putting AWR on it might at least save for the most annoying defenders and then they'd make more plays than other players with same physical skills but worse football minds.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »