Home

Madden vs Real Football

This is a discussion on Madden vs Real Football within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #65
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: Madden vs Real Football

Tracking HUM tendencies would be a sweet move. The only adjusting I really see in EA's games are in seeing them move the Safeties up or down during the game. 2k5's VIP system is pretty cool, as I would see the CPU start to jump on a money route I had found the games before, or attack an area I would blitz from.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #66
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soprano00
You see? there's something more to work on Madden to make it more similar to real football, other than firing gamers
I see your point, but I can always find a reason to fire the user.

I play humans to ensure I'm playing an opponent that adjusts organically - but sometimes even humans who know the CPU won't make organic adjustments won't make the football adjustments they wish the CPU would make even though they could... Those guys should be fired. Knowing the right adjustment and failing/refusing to make it is not grounds to hate on the CPU.

Later
Old 03-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #67
Pro

NYwRiter94's Arena

OVR: 13

I didn't read the whole thread, so I apologize if someone on pages 2-6 addressed this already, but everyone on the first page seemed to ignore the fair catches on punts. If anything, that's being more conservative, and is a completely different point.

Kick returns also fall under the same category. In the real NFL, even though they added 5 yards to the kickoff, and guys are receiving the ball deep in their own endzone, they are running it out because they are confident they can return the ball more than 20 yards. Thanks to poor return blocking in Madden, that's nigh impossible, and you're lucky if you even get it to the 20.

As for punts, whenever I punt to the CPU, I am able to control my "gunners" (the players on the outsides) and get to the punt returner as he catches the ball. In Madden (and probably real life too) the likelihood of a fumble if a fair catch is not called is some insanely high number. Because the blocking is terrible and prevents long returns, most people just decide to take what they can get.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #68
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
I see your point, but I can always find a reason to fire the user.

I play humans to ensure I'm playing an opponent that adjusts organically - but sometimes even humans who know the CPU won't make organic adjustments won't make the football adjustments they wish the CPU would make even though they could... Those guys should be fired. Knowing the right adjustment and failing/refusing to make it is not grounds to hate on the CPU.

Later
I see that point, but I think a better solution than attempting to ban players from playing the game they paid for just because they might not be as good as they need to be on it is to have more organic adjustments in Madden to begin with. That sounds more like a win/win for EA/the player (new feature on the back of the box, something new for the player to experiment and use his skill on at the strategic level).

Trying to ban players not because they hacked or glitched or broke some other ToS rule, but because they lost a game or two "more than they should" is just going to open all kinds of cans of worms.

If you use a bad team, say it's your favorite and you want to play with them even though you know they are struggling...shouldn't you lose a lot...that's why...it's a bad team?

Last edited by KBLover; 03-27-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #69
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYwRiter94
As for punts, whenever I punt to the CPU, I am able to control my "gunners" (the players on the outsides) and get to the punt returner as he catches the ball. In Madden (and probably real life too) the likelihood of a fumble if a fair catch is not called is some insanely high number. Because the blocking is terrible and prevents long returns, most people just decide to take what they can get.
And if you're playing the CPU, it seems horribly incapable of knowing when to fair catch sometimes. I don't know what causes it (Ratings? Traits? Sliders?) but there's been games where it happened like every punt. I just try to punt it out of bounds every time now because of that since I haven't deciphered what makes this happen sometimes, but not every time.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #70
Rookie

elijah53johnston's Arena

OVR: 3

the one problem I have with firing people is you dont have control over your roster like real NFL coaches and GM's do.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #71
Just Bad at Everything

TheNumber35's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijah53johnston
the one problem I have with firing people is you dont have control over your roster like real NFL coaches and GM's do.
That, and the fact that everyone should be able to enjoy the game...no matter their skill level. Just because I'm not a Sean Payton-esque offensive mind or a Rex Ryan type of defensive genius doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to enjoy a game with applicable NFL parameters. Let me fail, but let me fail with real NFL concepts and the parameters Big FN outlined. I'd rather suck really bad in a game like he described than succeed in the current version of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #72
Banned

OVR: 8

I think there may be some confusion about what I mean when I say "Fire the User." Personally, I find it hard to discuss the differences between real football and Madden without talking how the consequences for poor performance are incongruous.

If there's no penalty for skipping practices, failing to watch film, prepare for opponents, or any of the things professional teams must do to avoid embarrassment on game day - it's almost impossible to simulate the pro football environment where firings happen all the time for less...

Unfortunately, EA can't fire customers and it only exacerbates the other differences between reality and the virtual world when the least common denominator is allowed to play alongside the most serious players. Of all the things that would never happen in the NFL, having players consistently perform poorly and maintain their position is the most important and most overlooked.

Later

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »