Home

Old 04-03-2012, 03:24 AM   #1
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Why?

Just why?

Why can't I enjoy this game? What am I doing wrong?

How do you enjoy this game? I really want to. I keep putting it in my xbox. I keep turning it on. I want to enjoy it. I keep telling myself this time I will ignore the little things that bother me. this time I will try to just have fun... but it never works.

I want to run the ball with Gore and Hunter. I want to throw passes to Walker and Davis. I want to mix my FB into the offense from time to time. I want to play tough D. Sometimes I want to mess around with Vick and that explosive Eagles team. Perhaps I want to call draws and screens to Danny Woodhead as I march the Patriots offense down the field for another score and hope the Defense can hold. I love football... but when I play Madden each victory and most nice plays feel hallow, and most bad play look and feel like the result of poor game play.

I don't know what I want with this game anymore.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2012, 03:55 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Why?

I don't know what to tell you

You and I are on a similar plane with what's wrong with the on-field action, but I'm having fun progressing through year 9 of my franchise in-spite of the issues.

I wish I could say something meaningful - I don't really think about "why" I enjoy a game - I just do...or don't.

I guess I change stuff up enough to where it seems fresh, even within the same franchise. I don't know.

Maybe...it's just not resonating with you on a level and it's like having a thorn in your foot. No matter what shoes you try, every step - you feel the thorn.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:08 AM   #3
Rookie

Calipup's Arena

OVR: 12

Take a break, if you don't play it for a month the chances are when you come back you will get some enjoyment out of it. Don't play a game that you know you are not going to have fun playing, games are for having fun.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I guess I change stuff up enough to where it seems fresh, even within the same franchise. I don't know.

+1

Although customization is still a bit limited compared to other sports games, there's enough options in Madden to keep it fresh for me.

Like I've said in some other threads, I've recently crossed over to a slightly modified version of All-Madden instead of customizing sliders to the Nth degree. The challenge has increased for me in a realistic way, and it's tough to keep the CPU's offense in check as a result. I love that.

I also recently went from slow game speed to normal. That small change challenges me to be more decisive and makes my experience slightly more difficult.

When I get tired of playing w/ the Cowboys and/or running through their playbook, I grab another team to play w/ that week like the Raiders.

I wouldn't say there's infinite replay value to Madden, but the current level of customization allows me to stay engaged and keep things quasi-fresh.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 9

largely there has to be an acceptance of it's flaws. It offers many good things about it but if one gets hung up with the leaping LB's and qb's who never miss....that can bleed the fun out of it.
I do the following:'
1. Stuff that's just total BS, I change with sliders. Ie. I hate superhuman running backs who plow through DT's like they were paper cutouts. Solution? Lower the cpu btk slider. Same with throwing too many picks. Lower the cpu int slider (of course if it gets to easy you adjust back up some).
2. Instead of complaining that "Linebackers shouldn't jump like that, CB's should'nt be that psychic etc." i just say "When i see _____ I know i can complete the pass." If I get picked i try not to repeat the mistake - unfortunately even if my TE is 15 yards behind the LB he can still leap and pick the ball. So i don't make that throw or wait for the TE to clear to an open throwing lane.
3. Improve stick skills. When i started playing on next gen 2 years ago...I struggled on default all pro. Now I'm on all madden with slider modifications to make it harder. My secret? I just kept getting better the more I played.

Believe me, sore loser that I am, i still slam some controllers (although i'm breaking that expensive habit now) but i'm enjoying far more than I thought I would.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Suspend your disbelief, learn Maddenball, and just go with it. That's really the only way. I would say find other things that the game does well -- things that you also enjoy -- and immerse yourself. I enjoy the GM part of the game, and I get a certain satisfaction from building a football team, making mistakes, uncovering hidden gems, but from your posts, gameplay seems to be #1 on your agenda. If that is the only potential source of enjoyment, then you might just have to charge this one to the game and look to Madden 13, because the gameplay is what it is. And I don't know if you've played 2K recently, but that certainly won't help, because you'll always be making that play-by-play comparison.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

PG, I feel you. I go through the same thing with this game. The big thing for me is I still have yet to lock-in on a good slider set for my skill level. I'm between All-Pro and All-Madden and prefer to play on Slow game speed. I think once I find a set, I'll be able to finish a couple of seasons in Franchise.

One suggestion is to pick a lower-rated team and try and build them back up. The Giants are my favorite team, but with the year-end rosters, they aren't much of a challenge to use, so I'm thinking of running with a team like Cleveland, St. Louis, Jacksonville or Buffalo to change things up. It makes playing GM easier as I'm not emotionally invested in the players on the roster like I am with the Giants.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 04-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

I "liked" Madden 12, but I liked NCAA 12 a lot more. And honestly, Madden 12 left my possession months ago. Do what I did: trade in Madden 12 now, while you can get some decent value out of it. Get away from the Madden and NCAA series now and come back when the demos hit and we can check out this new read/react defense and new passing mechanics.

You're not going to get any happier with Madden 12. There are some flaws in the game that if you aren't able to look past now, you won't at all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »