Home

Your Top 3 Likes and Dislikes About Madden NFL 12

This is a discussion on Your Top 3 Likes and Dislikes About Madden NFL 12 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Your Top 3 Likes and Dislikes About Madden NFL 12

List them here. I want to bring them up, during conversations with the developers next week.

Please be as detailed as possible.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Your Top 3 Likes and Dislikes About Madden NFL 12

1. The game itself looks really good. I bring up replays after I make a great play sometimes, and I'm taken aback by the detail, the stitching of the jerseys, the mesh, the stadiums. The game really looks the part.

2. The offensive playbooks have really come a long way. Very diverse, and well put together. For the longest time the Bengals playbook went all but untouched, but I found myself last season looking at games on Sundays and noticing more and more plays straight out of Madden.

3. New offseason stuff. The expanded rosters and futures draft picks have added a new dimension to the game for me. I'm putting together more creative trade packages. I haven't mastered the scouting yet, but the fact that I had 5 players who's ratings I could completely unlock allowed to be re-do my board and grab a few gems. I actually enjoy playing preseason games and strategizing before the game how I'm going to divide snaps to unlock ratings. I found a few good project players on my offensive line that way. I like how the preseason games are programmed to sub out the starters(1st preseason game, starters play a quarter -- by the 3rd they automatically play a half).

Dislikes:

1. Movement - the way the game moves just doesn't work for me. To be specific, the weight of the players isn't balanced. If I'm on defense my players seem bound by weight. I'll manually move my linebacker into an open gap that the back is hitting. In a split second, he sees me and glides, not cuts but glides back into the B gap before I can respond. In Madden 11, the game was still unbalanced in this manner, but I could more closely mirror the movements of the back, because they were more pronounced, whereas now, the backs, even 260lb. Legarrette Blount seem to have no weigh when it comes to these types of movements.

2. Trench Play - the lack of true offensive/defensive line interactions. That's where games are won and lost, and the lack of true jostling (dictated by weight and momentum), engaged player movement, no true gap assignments, which leads to ineffective stunts, which leads to elite pass rushers not being a factor is a killer. When I am on offense against the CPU, most of the sacks against me come from the tackles, not the edge.

3. CPU Quirks - there are some janky bugs that just take me out of the game. My secondary will stand with their back to the ball while the CPU receiver turns and makes a play, or the other one where CPU will motion a TE across the formation for better pass pro and at the snap the TE will just glide back with his hands out as my Defensive End runs around him untouched for a sack.

Last edited by Senator Palmer; 04-08-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

• The stadiums are very detailed and look great.

• The NFL Films music that's in the game is great (though there should be way more!).

• The wristbands, sleeves and towels are custom-fitted for most players. This gives each player some personality.
Dislikes
  • All player movement is extremely unrealistic and robotic, with lots of sliding/warping/teleporting/clipping. There is also a severe lack of momentum while a player is running. Players should not be able to turn on a dime.

• Quarterbacks should not be able to drop back 20 yards at the start of the play and throw with any accuracy, especially when throwing off their back foot or across their body or while scrambling. Setting your feet and stepping into your throw should be rewarded, and scrambling blindly and idiotically should be punished.

• The entire defense should not be keying on the ball and moving like a herd of animals towards the ball as soon as it leaves the quarterback's hand. Defenders should only react to the ball if they are facing the play and can see the ball first. If defenders' backs are to the play, they shouldn't be reacting to it!

Last edited by jyoung; 04-07-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
Pro

juggalotusx's Arena

OVR: 5

1.That they update the rosters during the season even though its not often enough.
2Real faces for rookies when drafting
3.The adding of rookies at the start of the season Walkons even though the teams do not cut the right players and leave good FAs to sit, its still a nice touch for Franchise players.
Dislikes
1The challenge and replay system= I want to pick what I challenge and be able to watch the whole replay when I do.
2.How FS does not get many tackles in a year like 30 or under when simming, you must play each game to get a good amount of tackles this is true with the SS but they get about 60 or less a year when simming.
3. No shows=no pre-game,halftime,post game show,No Top Rookies going on stage when drafted by teams,No weekly recap or Draft Recap show, No pre Draft show to tell us about upcoming rookies who's doing good raising there stock,sleepers and who is falling of the boards,Crummy entrances where they say here is your starting WR and your starting QB,
4.I have to add this No Owner Mode for Franchise=Build a stadium in the same spot with the same logo why cant I keep the 49ers name and logo and keep the uniforms,Team chemistry,player moral,set prices and get fired for doing bad.
Thanks man Good luck at EA..

Last edited by juggalotusx; 04-08-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Dislikes

1. Run Defense

I hate how LBs play. They take silly routes to the ball carrier sometimes (like my MLB going all the way around the OL when if he would have just stayed home, he'd be in perfect position - and this is basically the god of linebackers). They don't read the play, but try to make a beeline to where the ball carrier is currently. I've seen LBs go to where the HB was two seconds ago while now he's past the line of scrimmage. If the LB read how the play was developing, he could better anticipate where the ball carrier is going, and get in better position (or see that the play is coming at him and that maybe he should just...stay home and get ready.

2. Run Offense

It seems too "moves" oriented. Backs don't seem to just be able to use their power and balance (STR and AGI), but instead have to do a juke to make defenders fall over themselves or stiff arms that slap people to the ground, and spins that make the defenders fall over themselves again.

HBs do more smaller, last-second moves to destroy pursuit angles, not just these overt jukes and stuff. Stiff arms don't always knock people down, sometimes, they just negate the defender's power by using leverage.

On the CPU side - why don't HBs take the 4-5 yd runs more often? I see HBs that see a defender in the hole, but 3 yds away from the line. Why not take the 3 yds and then try to slip by/power through the defender to get a 4-5 yd gain? It seems like the HB is too much trying to get "sexy" runs, but not the "blue collar" runs that help keep drives alive.

3. Line Blocking/Penetration

These interactions seem so all-or-nothing. Not enough "gradual success/failures". For example, a OL that has the advantage, but not just throw the DL to the ground, but steadily drives him back. Same for the other side on pass rush - DL not often keep pushing the offensive linemen back into the QB, steadily collapsing the pocket. Instead, they blow past if they win, or get "patty caked" if they don't.

OL when blocking laterally moving plays (like outside zone plays or pitches/sweeps) they don't drive the defenders laterally. It's basically the same forward blocking with a few of the guys pulling and such.

There's no double team pass blocking. As such, it's one reason why the 3-4 doesn't work right. There's not enough double team blocking at all, imo. A guy like Suh shouldn't get one-on-one blocking all game long.

1. DPP, Roles, and Traits

This was a great addition and I hope MORE is done with this going forward. It is a good foundation for creating diversity in how players play on the field. I like all of the various traits that are there and most of the roles (some seem useless overall - like 1st round pick or Project Player).

2. UDFAs

This is a good idea done bad. I guess it's not a pure "like" in that I don't like how the CPU is clueless with who to cut. I do like the concept and idea of it, and hopefully, there's some tweaking to make the CPU much more intelligent about who to cut and who to develop and keep.

3. Scouting System.

Again, I like the idea behind the new-style scouting system and hopefully there's some tweaks to make it more realistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2012, 11:57 PM   #6
Rookie

DUDERMAN's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
The NFL Films music that's in the game is great
Pretty sure that was taken out of the game in Madden 12.

Eagles | Phillies | Flyers | Sixers
Old 04-08-2012, 12:31 AM   #7
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

1. DPP - I love the premise of this feature and hope they continue to expand on this ever year. Want to see it encompass techniques, mannerisms and emotional reactions to add even more player distinction.

2. Graphics - The colors of Madden 12 really "popped" on an HD LED TV just like they said. Very detailed visuals that really make me appreciate next-consoles and how far we have come visually from last gen.

3. Online Franchise - Again, I love the premise of being able to potentially have 32 Users manage teams and compete with each other online. Want to see this feature become integrated into offline franchise so it's just one mode like the NCAA dynasty.

Dislikes:

1. The lack of representation of applicable real life parameters - If Madden focused on representing the applicable real life parameters of NFL football as accurately as possible, like penalties, injuries, fatigue, play design assignments/responsibility, timing, mental/physical/skill/social player limitations, physics, coaching, environmental effects and player to player interaction, everything else would fall into place to simulate a NFL football experience and challenge. Also, aging and wear-n-tear for Career modes.

Player Ratings - I feel every NFL player has hard unbiased numbers/data that can be used, in a standard formula, to create player ratings in Madden. If that was done, the only thing subjective would be the parameters of the standard formula, not the ratings themselves, which is potentially less controversial and easier to acquire a consensus around.

Just because Madden has a scale from 0-100 doesn't mean the best in the league have to be close that 100. How about 100 being super human and something no one has ever achieved, even the best ever. With respect to skill ratings, 92-99 only be achievable when "in the zone"/on a hot streak and 85-92 being something that players can only maintain at the height of their careers for a limited window?

According to Madden, why would Brady, Brees and Manning ever retire when they can still have 95+ THP/THA/AWR/INJ etc, after 20+ years in the league? Most players retire because they have to, not because they want to, They can't play at a high level anymore and they, along with potential teams, know it.

3. Injury System - Playing in the NFL is not question of whether you are injured or not, that is a given. The questions is how many injuries do you have and how severe are they. There has to be a multiple and progressive injury system added to the game for realism. The only reason my third dislike isn't penalties is because injuries is the number one penalty system in the NFL. There needs to be something done, maybe adopting HC09's body part system and FIFA 12's Self Injuries system.

Can somebody discuss with the developers, a way to have INJ ratings utilized to factor in a player's size and frailty in relation to who they collide with. Most small players, like Marvin Harrison, attributed their being able to stay reasonably healthy for long stretches to them getting down and out the way, to avoid "the big hit". I want to see this represented in Madden, with the smaller and generally more inept at absorbing contact players, like Punters, Kickers and QB's, having lower INJ ratings applied appropriately. We have all seen the infamous occurrence of a Dlineman or LB colliding with an average size QB and when the dust clears, the defender is the one being carted off.

If gamers want to expose the QB to knockdown collisions with defenders all game by not utilizing the pocket and/or holding on to the ball too long, the injury potential should be realistic. Likewise for wanting to run a Wildcat style offense with just anybody, attempting hit stick tackles with small DBs against bigger players, attempting tackles with QB's/smaller offensive players after turnovers, etc.

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 04-08-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:47 AM   #8
MVP

BlackBetty15's Arena

OVR: 12

1. Graphics- always nice and always on point with the out of box player models.
2. Player traits- love this as it gives players "identities"
3. Blank

Dislikes
1. Penalty system is broken and have lack animations to support them.

2. Special teams stink. AI makes no effort to coffin corner me and there is NEVER a special teams threat vs the CPU.

3. Dynasty lacks true immersion/gameplay animations and physics non existent.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »