Home

Here's a novel Idea to fix scouting....

This is a discussion on Here's a novel Idea to fix scouting.... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 9
Here's a novel Idea to fix scouting....

Well, I'm being a tad sarcastic but earnest at the same time. It would bring back some old gen features that I like and combine with new gen for a realistic feel.

How about, as the current system goes you scout players...select those you want etc. You get info for pro days like you do know, giving you some general ideas. But to unlock actual ratings, you have to workout the players...but only those you scouted. You put them through all the old drills for each player (and/or some new ones). You complete the drills you get THP, SAC, MAC and DAC for qb's etc and the all important awareness.

I'd like this in that if i felt like it I could get real solid numbers to work with when I draft and not draft a guy #1 who's scouting report was glowing and ends up a 54. Yeah you could throw in a random bust, or leave out ratings like awareness so that guy with the tools could be a bust anyway. I could skip this if I didn't want to take the time but to me actually using the guy would be more interesting and revealing as to how he'll play.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Here's a novel Idea to fix scouting....

I'd like to see scouting give us a range for the important ratings (say 5-10 points depending on how much you scout them). Sort of like the youth scouting in FIFA where you get overall, potential, physical attributes all in a range (say speed 71-82). Then following up your idea you can unlock specifics by doing those drills from the ps2 days which were awesome, give us say 10-15 workouts so we can compare players (if you run a player through 3 drills his full ratings are unlocked but you can only do it for 5 total players).

I still remember beating the controller during that QB avoidance drill which was both my favourite and most frustrating one to do.

Last edited by aussiepats89; 04-08-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
How about, as the current system goes you scout players...select those you want etc. You get info for pro days like you do know, giving you some general ideas. But to unlock actual ratings, you have to workout the players...but only those you scouted. You put them through all the old drills for each player (and/or some new ones). You complete the drills you get THP, SAC, MAC and DAC for qb's etc and the all important awareness.
Sounds very interesting - would be almost like the Scouting Combine with the position drills portion (that would be fun to put in, and maybe show the guys you selected actually run the drills).

Adding in a Senior Bowl would be interesting too - a way to also use the players and see how they play.

I think this would be fun to have in. Anything to make scouting more real and interactive would be a good thing, imo.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 1

wunderlic/gpa like 06 should be indicator for awr scouting but why was it dropped?
Old 04-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

I think scouting is way over done and should be streamlined/simplified.

I want to see all the generated/imported draft classes have initial hard data unhidden/displayed like 40 times, bench press, cone drills, etc along with descriptions/NFL player comparisons again like strong arm, speed rusher, power back/Jerry Rice like WR, Micheal Vick like QB, etc and have their collegiate stats become available as the hypothetical college season progresses. So the only new data that would be updating each week would be the stats progression and general collegiate season info like injuries, award candidates, draft projections, etc. (Keep in mind that every draft class is uploaded prior to the season so all this data is presumably already generated, it's just a matter of releasing/displaying as the NFL season progresses in Franchise Mode.)

At the end of the chronological collegiate season, presuming they add NFL 2k5 like highlight reels for simulated games, do that for the Senior Bowl, East West Shrine and other All-Star bowl games so teams have a point of reference for stats and some video to boot.

Next release/generate that year's NFL Combine data and update the initial unhidden/displayed data, then when advancing to Pro Days and individual workouts allow teams to actually bring a limited number of targeted/preselected players in to either watch(CPU control) on College's Pro Days or manually(User control) for individual workouts, them perform designated position drills. (I would also like to see all these events designated and broken down into a calender form like in Superstar mode and NBA2k12.)

Finally, don't have any actual numerical ratings displayed for rookies until after the preseason, at the earliest. However, I personally would prefer if every rookie had their numerical ratings hidden until the end of their first NFL season.

So in a nutshell, I would prefer to see scouting be about each team deciding the best players to use their limited individual/Pro Day workouts on versus this whole premise of unlocking numerical ratings.

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 04-08-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »