Home

ROBO-Kicker?

This is a discussion on ROBO-Kicker? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 9
ROBO-Kicker?

Recently became more aware of another small but important issue to me. Robo Kicker.....Robo Qb, Yeah he rears his head from time to time but I get a variety of games so no complaints there. However...I've got my FG slider down to 40. If I go lower I can't kick anything near 50 and ever come close...but cpu Robo kicker bangs them in from 55+ yards in every condition, weather, wind you name it. Pretty annoying. I get a stop on my 39 and think he'll punt...nope.....go for it? Nope....he calmly sends his robokicker in to bang another 56 yarder....they need to do something about this as well. Now I'll admit they miss once in a while. Played today and the Bengals kicker (Its Nugent in my chise) attempted 5 FG's all over 53 yards.....he made 4 or 5 and one was wide right...not short. Tell me if I'm wrong but isn't that a tad unrealistic?

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: ROBO-Kicker?

Paralysis by analysis?

I've seen the AI miss plenty of kicks. I'm good on that front.

The key is making the kicks harder for the user -- that's where EA has struggled as of late.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

While on the subject of Kickers, has there ever been an answer for why there is not a "real percentage" option for FGs and QB passing too when I think about it?

I just booted up NBA2k12 last night and that option for "real player percentage" in regards to free throws and shots, jumped out at me as an ideal and seemingly simple number based system for EA football games.

Now that I think about it, that would certainly be a step in the right direction of having even User control players limited by their inherent limitations. Why the eff isn't this an option in Madden? lol. Can some returning CD person find out please.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Now that I think about it, that would certainly be a step in the right direction of having even User control players limited by their inherent limitations. Why the eff isn't this an option in Madden? lol. Can some returning CD person find out please.
My thoughts:

"Real percentages" are in play for 2K b/c there's great opportunity to misfire on the shot stick. If you are an amateur to NBA2K yet desire to use the shot stick, you could literally BOMB your free throws and field goals. There's a higher degree for error using that stick I guess you could say (IMO).

If there was no shot stick in NBA2K, I don't know that they would've birthed a "real percentages" feature. But in a game where players shot animations & release points are very different, I think you have to have some sort of functionality to offset that.

On the other hand, I don't think there's that same opportunity for misfortune in Madden as it relates to current controls. The current control is scheme is pretty basic -- you press the corresponding passing/kicking button and keep it moving.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
My thoughts:

"Real percentages" are in play for 2K b/c there's great opportunity to misfire on the shot stick. If you are an amateur to NBA2K yet desire to use the shot stick, you could literally BOMB your free throws and field goals. There's a higher degree for error using that stick I guess you could say (IMO).

If there was no shot stick in NBA2K, I don't know that they would've birthed a "real percentages" feature. But in a game where players shot animations & release points are very different, I think you have to have some sort of functionality to offset that.

On the other hand, I don't think there's that same opportunity for misfortune in Madden as it relates to current controls. The current control is scheme is pretty basic -- you press the corresponding passing/kicking button and keep it moving.
I will address the FG part of this since this is a FG thread but I do want to find some appropriate thread to discuss the passing aspect too.

Anyway, it seems like you are implying when kicking a FG in Madden all we have to do is utilize button presses without any stick movement, which isn't the case. Seeing as the current kicking mechanic does require stick movement for accuracy, I am not really understanding why a "real percentage" option for Madden would be any less relevant.

The way i understand the option in NBA2k is that it doesn't mean that no matter what the User does, the shot or FT will go in based on that players real percentage but that even with optimal mechanics, the User can only be as successful as the in-game players real percentage allows.

Anybody feel free to correct me if I am misunderstanding this mechanic though. So if that is the case, a real percentage option seems like a good fix for RoboKickers and the lack of difficulty of User FGs, imo.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
The way i understand the option in NBA2k is that it doesn't mean that no matter what the User does, the shot or FT will go in based on that players real percentage but that even with optimal mechanics, the User can only be as successful as the in-game players real percentage allows.
I actually think it does the former also. I don't play NBA2K excessively, but I've certainly had times where I know I didn't get a good flick of the stick on a free throw and it swooshes right in.

It's an override mechanic if you strip it down to its nuts and bolts.

Honestly, if a feature like this was first seen in Madden, I'm willing to bet Monopoly money that it would've been mocked as another casual-oriented feature.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
Just Bad at Everything

TheNumber35's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
I actually think it does the former also. I don't play NBA2K excessively, but I've certainly had times where I know I didn't get a good flick of the stick on a free throw and it swooshes right in.

It's an override mechanic if you strip it down to its nuts and bolts.

Honestly, if a feature like this was first seen in Madden, I'm willing to bet Monopoly money that it would've been mocked as another casual-oriented feature.
Agreed...you'll get guys who come in here and make threads like "EA sucks" and "Madden screwed up bad", with subject matter that varies from why Tim Tebow can't complete more than 50% of his passes and why you can't complete 100% with Rodgers, Brady, and Manning anymore. Personally I'd embrace a system like 2K's because I've played 2K12 a little bit this year and I really like the realistic percentages option.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the "What a waste of disc space" and "Why do this when your gameplay is broken" threads lol

Last edited by TheNumber35; 04-09-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Robo-kicker? I almost wish, because then I could gimp the FG sliders to challenge me and the CPU would still have a realistic FG %.

As it is, with the stupid joined FG sliders (WHY EA WHY), it's hard to achieve both.

That said, my kicker was at 83%, which is pretty solid, but not ridiculous. I probably could stand to drop some % since I think I'm doing too well from 50 yards and probably from 40 (though I did miss a 30 yd FG and I was like "How the **** did I miss that?")

Last edited by KBLover; 04-09-2012 at 06:25 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »