Home

End of Console Generations is Not an Excuse for No Innovation

This is a discussion on End of Console Generations is Not an Excuse for No Innovation within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #33
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37
The back of the Madden 95 box is better than anything we have been given recently.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #34
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: End of Console Generations is Not an Excuse for No Innovation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmallwood
Your commentary is slightly belittling to members who are not jaded but rather are tired of the same excuses year after year. You should understand that outside of sales, Madden this gen has done virtually nothing to be successful as a franchise. That's why people mention 2K5 or NBA 2K11, FIFA, The Show etc. Those games and their companies earn our $65 almost every year. People respect the efforts they put into their product. Madden used to do the same, but now with no competition, we are 8 games into next gen with basic features and core gameplay still broken.
I agree with this, but I feel strongly that 13 will be turning the corner. Game play video on GT TV for NCAA is Friday morning at 1:00 am.

NCAA and Madden usually mirror each other with game play, but we'll see.

All I'm saying is that I'm cautiously optimistic for 13. If folks want to keep going back over history, that's fine, but I'm trying to look forward. And I understand folks that keep looking back.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #35
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I agree with this, but I feel strongly that 13 will be turning the corner. Game play video on GT TV for NCAA is Friday morning at 1:00 am.

NCAA and Madden usually mirror each other with game play, but we'll see.

All I'm saying is that I'm cautiously optimistic for 13. If folks want to keep going back over history, that's fine, but I'm trying to look forward. And I understand folks that keep looking back.
I agree with all that you have just said. I want to move forward. I too am hoping that the new Madden is a huge step in the right direction.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmallwood
Your commentary is slightly belittling to members who are not jaded but rather are tired of the same excuses year after year. You should understand that outside of sales, Madden this gen has done virtually nothing to be successful as a franchise. That's why people mention 2K5 or NBA 2K11, FIFA, The Show etc. Those games and their companies earn our $65 almost every year. People respect the efforts they put into their product. Madden used to do the same, but now with no competition, we are 8 games into next gen with basic features and core gameplay still broken.
I'd have to piggy back on this as the guy seems to be in another realm or is just satisfied too easily. Maybe he doesnt play anything outside of madden in which he can graciously explain why in the world are we just now getting features ThAT ARE AND HAVE BEEN A PART OF THE GAME FOR YEARS?

Its easy to counter nitpick with stuff know one really cares about, I would gladly trade in the GFX for gameplay anyday of the week, but the fact remains that there are games out there that DO IT ALL and yet EA keeps coming with excuse after excuse after excuse.

Now you wanna play the :"Sticky rules card" so people can be silent on the fact that for the past 7 maddens this gen, we have gotten nothing but minor tweaks and fixes.

But be kind and post stuff that makes the gameplay better than what it is so we can all stop complaining!
Old 04-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #37
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

FYI..........The sitcky rules is enforced on OS year round in ALL forums. Just because somebody doesn't agree with you or don't like a game as much as you do, it don't mean a person should be banned or a thread should get locked.

Nothing in this thread violates the TOS.

You like graphics and presentation of run outs...........other people prefer game play.

The world goes on.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #38
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
I really don't think Madden needs new innovations because that's what they've been trying to do for far too long with things like the Vision Cone, a repetitive football radio show, that blocking crap they tried to pull, etc. Hit stick was necessary with the advent of dual joysticks because it made no sense not to utilize the extra stick so console control innovation forced that one, so to speak.

I think EA needs to work on completing the basic, core game of football, full circle, first. Things like gang tackling and multiple hit tackles/add on tackling is not an innovation, per se. THAT IS APART OF THE BASIC, CORE GAME OF FOOTBALL, period. We need more of that and the lil things that make football, football more than grandiose not quite needed right now 'innovations' because it almost makes no sense how they don't have those things down pat , yet.
Agreed. The gameplay needs enhancements and while innovation is welcome to the core game modes, generally speaking, innovation is not exactly what Madden has been missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Just more of the same, as if EA finds millions of new customers every year (they dont), and invoking the sacred 2k5 (again, will be happy when the sticky rules are finally enforced again). You'd think the gameplay has been the same since Madden 06 by many of the posts here, of course many probably consider Madden a roster update and little more every year which is probably the least genuine statement anyone can make.

Agree with this too. That's not to suggest that people should be pleased or satisfied with the gameplay -- I'm not. But the notion that the gameplay hasn't improved at all over the past three years is, umm, ill-informed.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Just more of the same, as if EA finds millions of new customers every year (they dont), and invoking the sacred 2k5 (again, will be happy when the sticky rules are finally enforced again). You'd think the gameplay has been the same since Madden 06 by many of the posts here, of course many probably consider Madden a roster update and little more every year which is probably the least genuine statement anyone can make.

If we get half as many improvements to 13 as we saw in 12, many here will be pretty happy - but we have no idea what they've done with 13 yet, but this gen has been written off, nothing to see here.

I would have expected the "can you be objective..." thread to come from a staff member and this thread created by one of the many jaded who post here, not the other way around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Let me help you out and you tell me if you are happy with these results...

Money plays?

Morphing players still?

Progression and franchise issues?

Glitches and bugs from past maddens?

Missing features from the previous to past maddens that some affected game play?

Speed has been the only stat to really matter?

No D/O line interaction?

No DB/WR jostling or fighting for the ball before and after a catch?

DBs not capable of dropping one handing interceptions while tackled or engaged in this animation?

NO PENALTIES!!! Outside of face mask, offsides, delay of game, and roughing the passer with your occasional QB throwing while past the LOS?

No foot planting, players still seem to ice skate and change direction like the wind?

DB's mirror the WR's routes or sometimes run them for them?

Pick your poison bro, I can go on for quite a while and so can everyone else, and I am sure the bad outweighs the good and its been like this for the past 7yrs.

So give me or anyone else a reason why we shouldnt feel the way we do about madden!
Old 04-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #40

m1ke_nyc's Arena

OVR: 7

Has the gameplay improved over the past couple years yes, but lets be honest here the gameplay is below average. When double hit tackles is a selling point for Madden 12 and NCAAF 12 for that matter we have a problem.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »