Home

The Untapped Potential Of DPP

This is a discussion on The Untapped Potential Of DPP within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What Potential Grade Would You Give DPP?
A 3 60.00%
B 1 20.00%
C 0 0%
D 1 20.00%
F 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
The Untapped Potential Of DPP

With the buzz around the June 4th "monumental" game play addition to Madden 13, I wanted to discuss the potential of DPP 2.0 and beyond. I consider OS to be a hub for hardcore Madden and NFL gamers but I don't see enough interest or general acknowledgement about the seemingly vast potential for Dynamic Player Performance. It was the marquee feature for Madden 12 and even though I hope and believe a physics upgrade is the big news for Madden 13, I hope DPP is not completely untouched.

Aside from player movement, including foot planting, I believe DPP could be utilized to greatly diminish the issues some are understandably concerned about for Madden 13.

OL/DL Interactions- I read a lot of complaints about the "patty cake" hand fighting in the trenches in Madden on OS but I no longer believe the only help is a complete overhaul. This video posted in the NCAA forum has me convinced that available offensive and defensive User mechanics, can be applied to OL/DL DPP, in the form of traits and tendencies, to access complete techniques/combos, not just one and done moves.

Player Ratings- I personally have an issue with the way player ratings seem to not be grounded in any sort of data based formula. There was just a thread made recently asking about overrated rookies but DPP could diminish this issue. A great equalizer for exceptionally skilled unproven players warranting high individual ratings, is initially very low consistency ratings in DPP. Luck and RG3 have high OVR but if the learning curve difference as a rookie QB opposed to that of a rookie RB, as well as accounting for what system a player is coming from, was reflected in consistency and other DPP aspects, on field performance would become far more decisive than numerical ratings.

Progression- People are constantly debating whether players should progress from better performance or better performance should come from progression. Streaks and confidence in DPP is the perfect compromise. Player potential in Madden is predestined so the progression for players ratings are capped but not their DPP. Allowing continuous progressive hot/cold streaks and confidence for players based on their on field performance is an ideal way to represent the overachievers in the NFL. A 65OVR RB with D potential that consistently has big games would be capable of stringing together a virtual career long hot streak, accounting for missed games, bye weeks and the off season. Likewise, a 90OVR WR with A potential would be capable of a virtual career long cold streak, accounting for the same variables and represent a NFL bust.

Coaching- Everyone knows that having Joe Gibbs or Steve Spurrier at Head Coach in Madden 12 wouldn't have any affect on how the team plays but with DPP it could. Coaches and coordinators affecting specific positions DPP aspects or the whole team's for Head Coaches that are more controlling like Belicheat and Parcells. For instance Rex Ryan affecting LBs to have aggressive traits or Mike McCarthy affecting the whole teams consistency ratings.

Player AI- This is probably the most obvious area for DPP to have a substantial impact but it seems people don't give this as much credence as they should. No matter if a gamer is User control to the nth degree, there are always up to 21 other AI controlled players on the field. Just like watching AI controlled Kobe Bryant shot his signature fade away or AI Blake Griffin go flying hard to the rim to posterize someone in a basketball game, DPP can be used the same way in Madden. Imagine watching AI Ray Lewis, Ed Reed or Troy Polamolu, deviate from a play's design and ad lib to blow up a play or get burned. AI Asante Samuel jumping routes for INTs or getting setup for a double move. The possibilities are endless.

I realize this all reads like a wishlist but it's seemingly very practical considering DPP is already in the game. What do you think of the potential for DPP in Madden 13 and beyond?

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 04-27-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: The Untapped Potential Of DPP

I love franchise mode, so my sincere hope is that DPP and player roles become at least as important as player ratings. I think Madden 12 was a good start. I hope EA/Tiburon improves upon it.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: The Untapped Potential Of DPP

I gave DPP a "B" largely for the things you mentioned as being untapped potential.

Good start, good prospect. Hopefully with another year of experience and refinement, DPP will make the jump to the next level.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »