Home

When does the exclusivitiy deal end?

This is a discussion on When does the exclusivitiy deal end? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #57
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: When does the exclusivitiy deal end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
If its a rumor... It has no basis or source or else WE ALL would have heard it reported by a legitimate news source. Me personally , I couldn't care less what happens really.

Business wise it would be the move that ends 2k and I could promise you that. If it were non exclusive and both companies had to pay for the rights again, I don't know the figures but let's say it costs 1 mill. That means that 2k is 1 million dollars in the hole before they even start making the game. Include development costs and they are probably down 2 mill before the game is even pressed. It would take probably 3 years of development before they even came out with a decent game. The best sales outlook they can have based on the past is getting half as many sales as Madden. Financially they would be better off starting a fire in a trash can and just dumping money into it. They would lose money faster than any of their titles (that are currently losing money like crazy) could recoup it. It would be business suicide.

I think the ONLY way the deal ends is if EA decides they no longer want it. That imo would be the only way.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
What was crazy is that when the deal first came about. I believe it was in the area of $500 million for 5 years. I can't see how EA made thier money back with that on Madden Alone. Especailly when sales kept declining every year.

Anyone know how that turned out for them?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #58
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
What was crazy is that when the deal first came about. I believe it was in the area of $500 million for 5 years. I can't see how EA made thier money back with that on Madden Alone. Especailly when sales kept declining every year.

Anyone know how that turned out for them?
They haven't and now with the deal reaching the nine figures, couple that with lower sales each year. I DON'T SEE EA DOING AN EXCLUSIVE LICENSE next-gen. This isn't FIFA it just doesn't pay off.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #59
Banned

OVR: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetpac
They haven't and now with the deal reaching the nine figures, couple that with lower sales each year. I DON'T SEE EA DOING AN EXCLUSIVE LICENSE next-gen. This isn't FIFA it just doesn't pay off.
They do make their money back. My only issue with the deal is takes money away that would be used towards game development. Other than that I don't care if there are 400 different NFL games.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #60
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
They do make their money back. My only issue with the deal is takes money away that would be used towards game development. Other than that I don't care if there are 400 different NFL games.

By making the money back I don't mean turning a profit, I mean recouping the cost of the deal, development AND revenue. And I know for a FACT EA does not make it money back from this deal. In order for that to happen they'd have to have strong sales in America, Europe AND at-least one other territory.

With the development cost rising as Next Gen rolls around - I just don't see a smart move in trying to go exclusive again.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #61
Banned

OVR: 25
Quote:
By making the money back I don't mean turning a profit, I mean recouping the cost of the deal, development AND revenue. And I know for a FACT EA does not make it money back from this deal. In order for that to happen they'd have to have strong sales in America, Europe AND at-least one other territory.

With the development cost rising as Next Gen rolls around - I just don't see a smart move in trying to go exclusive again.
On sales alone? No. But with DLC... Yes they do, if not its really close. The NFL wants it to be exclusive however I don't see EA buying in again... But ya never know.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #62
Rookie

OVR: 4

Exclusives will never end for the NFL. The NFL game will always bring up the rear in sports gaming for this reason.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #63
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Quote:
On sales alone? No. But with DLC... Yes they do, if not its really close. The NFL wants it to be exclusive however I don't see EA buying in again... But ya never know.

So don't you think it would be smart if the license was paid for by various companies. EA knows it is a killer of a price, and to make that amount back is so tough.

The NFL should be reasonable to allow 3 companies to split the bill and make a NFL game. They will be getting their Money, and at the same time giving these companies a much better opportunity in making their money back and some.

I just don't know what that 3rd company would be , or dare to join the mix if the other 2 are 2K and EA. It would have to be a company that is extremely confident in their product.

What do you guys think about this?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #64
Banned

OVR: 10

It wouldnt take 2k that long too produce a quality NFL title if they where allowed back in the game ALLPRO2k8 was a great game with plenty of animations. Side-line catches alone was beautiful. Next-gen is even going too be more expenses too produce and fund. I know the NFL love exclusiveness, but next-gen might be different. I'm sure thousands of gamers have called the NFL like myself with our displeasure of the exclusive license deal.

If the NFL promotes competition so much, then they should also do that in there other business ventures. EA had lose sales for the pass three years now, and it's going too be more expenses. I just hope madden goes in a simulation model and more realistic too the NFL with the little things. I don't think we will be getting double-team pass blocking, OPI/DPI...etc till next gen. Which is a shame. I hope I'm wrong, but we have a track record. I hope we have at lest two companies that can produce a NFL title next-gen, hopefully giving gamers options and that's all we want as a community.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »