Home

Pass Interference Finally Back???

This is a discussion on Pass Interference Finally Back??? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #49
Banned

OVR: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
C'mon though CR, that's NFL football and if someone is going to get upset about the game better representing real NFL football, even on a default setting, they shouldn't be buying a NFL simulation. I hope you realize I am not being snide towards you, just this notion that the devs are in some untenable position when it comes to making the game more realistic.

All these internal conflicts within the Madden community are of EA's own making, imo because not only do they refuse to to leave the arcade football elements strictly for their arcade football games but they refuse to even make a factory distinction between arcade and realistic game play parameters in Madden.

I appreciate EA/Tiburon providing slider sets, difficulty settings and other options but why does EA/Tiburon consistently refuse to place a factory setting in Madden, tuned and programmed to be what the devs think is the most realistic representation of NFL football Madden can provide?

I don't expect you to know the answer to that question CR or any person in the Madden community but please, please, ask Mike Young, Cam Weber or whomever is in a position to make something like this happen, that question for me.
Oh I know, like I said, I want it in there. I look at it as either way they go people are gonna be PISSED OFF. I hope they do put it in really, its on my list of things to he tuned next week.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #50
MVP

Danimal's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Pass Interference Finally Back???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
I don't have an answer for you man. I wasn't side stepping any questions, never do. My post was basically saying that as soon as they put PI in where it should be, people will throw a fit saying "that's not PI, I got screwed".
You mean like every NFL fan does every Sunday when his team gets called?

IMO this was a lame excuse. I actually asked the question that Ian and Donny responded to on the podcast. I think Donny said that people don't want that called in the end zone yada yada, which showed me why I hope he never gets put on game play.

I'm hoping a new person in charge with a better focus on making an actual NFL game will lead to this being changed someday. When they start calling DPI and DH I'm positive people will complain, they always do when things change. However I think a little complaining for a more realistic scenario in the long run will be worth it.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #51
Pro

OVR: 4

I do remember Ian, Donny & Co. saying PI was difficult to tune because of its randomness in gameplay. However, just like they've done with holding and roughing the passer, this can be done to some extent.

I think we can all agree when/if PI gets fixed it will lead to a wave of complainers whining about being called PI when there was nothing there... I say that's much better than having it hardly ever called (as someone else pointed out, it's like that in real life too)

However, this made me think of something... after PI gets fixed, I can almost guarantee it won't be 2 months before people start saying... Bah, that wasn't enough... PI needs to be complemented with REAL PERSONALITY REF CREWS!!!!

Mark my words, this will happen. lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #52
Banned

OVR: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal
You mean like every NFL fan does every Sunday when his team gets called?

IMO this was a lame excuse. I actually asked the question that Ian and Donny responded to on the podcast. I think Donny said that people don't want that called in the end zone yada yada, which showed me why I hope he never gets put on game play.

I'm hoping a new person in charge with a better focus on making an actual NFL game will lead to this being changed someday. When they start calling DPI and DH I'm positive people will complain, they always do when things change. However I think a little complaining for a more realistic scenario in the long run will be worth it.
Yeah I wasn't going with the EA company line on that, just my own personal view. Obviously I want it in the game, but I am already looking towards the effects it will have on the users. I don't think it will be pretty.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #53
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

I'm not usually one who is nostalgic about how great old versions of a sports game were in comparison to newer versions, but I do feel that way when it comes to PI.

Back during the Genesis and PS 1 days it was tuned really well. If you were running with a receiver and some slight jostling occurred, no call, but it you bumped him off his route or made full speed contact while the ball was in the air, then the call was made.

This was back when I still played H2H all the time, and no Users complained because the calls were legit, so everybody just adjusted.

This last part is just speculation on my part, but I think that the introduction of the Hit Stick(One of the worst design decisions ever, IMO) is when they ruined the awesome balance that existed before.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #54
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Exactly jfsolo. I think people, I know I do, get tired of hearing excuses unique to next-gen Madden that we never heard from past football games or current sports games. All the other next-gen games can accomplish x but Madden can't for any litany of excuses. Then we conveniently have the NFL exclusive which prevents direct comparison with what other companies could accomplish with the same sport and time constraints.

Over these past going on 4 years since I first began to search the internet for answers about next-gen Madden, I have discovered plenty of excuses about the first 6-7 years of next-gen Madden but very little facts. It seems so often when someone has a valid constructive criticism about something missing, lacking or not working correctly in next-gen Madden, that wasn't the case in a last-gen Madden, another sports game period, or even another next-gen EA football game, some excuse is made for it.

I am one that is quick to say to anyone, even myself, "try to look at things from a different POV" but this DPI issue and this whole premise that devs have to be careful how realistic a NFL simulation video game is capable of being played, is ridiculous nonsense.

Common sense dictates that Madden should play the most realistic by EA/Tiburon's standards "out the box" or at the very least have a factory setting for optimal realism considering it's a NFL simulation game. However, here we are talking about DPI, not just "out the box" but that even the DPI slider is broken and doesn't even allow for personally tuning of the penalty.

How can there be any excuse for that?
Old 05-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #55
MVP

TWOSILK's Arena

OVR: 19

Ok lets be honest here the people who dont want PI in the game will be the user heavy stick skill studs who are used to running around with their safety knocking people off of their routes, or who get in front of the streak and slow down your WR with no call, If PI was correctly put in, people would have to change the way they play and most wouldn't want that. In madden if you throw a slant the LB can literally impede your route, and then make a play on the ball, and no penalty, in the NFL YOU CANT TOUCH A WR AFTER 5 YARDS, AND WHEN THE BALL IS IN THE AIR!!!!! That is the issue, and lets not talk about throwing a post route against a safety user, he can literally cut you off and then make a play for the ball, if EA just fixed those small issues the game would play sooooo different IMO.

I still play 2k5 and they have it right, ball in the air you better be playing the ball or the flag comes out, and that makes you play responsible user football, and takes away from being able to cover more space than you should, and speaking of things 2k5 got right thats not in madden 12........ well nevermind i have to work tomorrow so dont have THAT much time on my hand lol!!

Last edited by TWOSILK; 05-06-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #56
Banned

steelersfan77's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOSILK
Ok lets be honest here the people who dont want PI in the game will be the user heavy stick skill studs who are used to running around with their safety knocking people off of their routes, or who get in front of the streak and slow down your WR with no call, If PI was correctly put in, people would have to change the way they play and most wouldn't want that. In madden if you throw a slant the LB can literally impede your route, and then make a play on the ball, and no penalty, in the NFL YOU CANT TOUCH A WR AFTER 5 YARDS, AND WHEN THE BALL IS IN THE AIR!!!!! That is the issue, and lets not talk about throwing a post route against a safety user, he can literally cut you off and then make a play for the ball, if EA just fixed those small issues the game would play sooooo different IMO.

I still play 2k5 and they have it right, ball in the air you better be playing the ball or the flag comes out, and that makes you play responsible user football, and takes away from being able to cover more space than you should, and speaking of things 2k5 got right thats not in madden 12........ well nevermind i have to work tomorrow so dont have THAT much time on my hand lol!!
Exactly,

To this day I still play 2k5 because of the "realism" of simulation. Updated roster guru's make this game so replayable it's not funny. There is no doubt that you have to play the ball and not the reciever. If you play the reciever and bump him after 5 yards in 2k5 it's going to be a flag fest.

I still play every Madden. The gameplay can be really frustrating but the look of the game is so beautiful. I guess that's what keeps me coming back.

I don't think complaining about too many pass interference penalties should be a concern if a correct PI system was in place. Right now it's just an eye candy slider that doesn't work. You can bump a reciever, heck completely impede a reciever from the route and nothing gets called. A stick skill lover's delight. I'm not the greatest at stick skills so if I tried that I'd miss the reciever and get beaten by 20 yards.

Madden is a fun game, I've played it for years, but you can't call it a true NFL football game simulation. Sure it has some sim in it but any arcadish bull throws that out the door and there is a good bit there.

I know former dev Ian touched up on this a few years ago but I'd like to see a more updated response instead of going off something so outdated. This issue hasn't been addressed at all this gen Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »