Home

Would a Long Snapper rating really matter?

This is a discussion on Would a Long Snapper rating really matter? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #17
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Would a Long Snapper rating really matter?

I want this in the game more, but long snapper would be nice too. Brian Jennings is in Madden 12 for the 49ers finally and I can start him as my long snapper... but it doesn't really matter. Next year the 49ers will be using a new long snapper as my understanding is that Jennings is hanging up his cleats. At least he got in Madden 12 before the end.

This would be nice too.

[Hit like if you hate the Cowboys too ]
Old 05-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #18
All Star

azdawgpound's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
I want this in the game more, but long snapper would be nice too. Brian Jennings is in Madden 12 for the 49ers finally and I can start him as my long snapper... but it doesn't really matter. Next year the 49ers will be using a new long snapper as my understanding is that Jennings is hanging up his cleats. At least he got in Madden 12 before the end.

This would be nice too.

[Hit like if you hate the Cowboys too ]
yea u guys grabbed our old LS last yr Ryan Pontbriand hes one that botched a snap against rams i think and after the game got axed for that play he went to pro bowl 3 outta his last 4 yrs.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 4

It would matter if we controlled the long snap. I always thought having the right analog used for long snaps would add a nice dynamic to the game.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 6

Its more of a Franchise problem since its a spot that you shoulnt release the guy but you can create a free extra spot
Old 05-20-2012, 03:13 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 1

What about having a snap rating, instead of a long snap specific rating? This would make it so that not every lineman can play center. Also, you do see instances of bad snapping, especially if you watched the Cowboys the past few years. Both Gurode and Costa really struggled at shotgun snaps compared to other centers in the league.

For long snappers, you would just have guys that have snap ratings in the 90s but don't have any other actual skills. Perhaps the best center in the game only has a snap rating of 85 or something, so that all long snappers are better than centers at long snapping.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
You know, I was just reading over this thread and a simple way to address the issue of player miscues like fumbled snaps, off target long snaps, mishandled hands offs and even penalties is a composure trait in DPP, imo.

Illy mentioned in another thread about having a penalty rating, which I think was a good idea but it might be easier to branch all this stuff under a Composure trait tied to position AWR. That way a 57OVR OL with 60AWR at LT could still have 80AWR at LS, making them capable of the job. However, a 90OVR OL with 90AWR at LT could have 60AWR at LS and struggle.

Now the reason I think this would be most effective tied in with a Composure trait in DPP is that, I think the different pressure situations on the field, during the game should affect it.
What's sad is that it's almost there. I firmly believe AWR impacts OL penalties (maybe not for other positions, or other ratings might take precedence, like my CBs are always called the most for facemask...and they have the lowest TAK ratings on the team...)

So adding in Composure with it applying differently to various aspects and potential errors sounds like a great idea - and anything making DPP more impacting and fleshed out, I'm all for.

It's like, if the game would just take the next step to make things less purely "roll of the dice" but add in more factors the shift and sway the possibilities, a lot of things we talk about might already have existed.

Composure + Relevant ratings + Situations + AWR influence = a robust system for mistakes and penalties.

Last edited by KBLover; 05-20-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #23
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Heck, a simplified view of long snapping could just be to keep the current rating calculation as-is, but have a new DPP trait for all FBs, TEs, OLs, DLs, and LBs: "Long Snapper". Have it be a simple yes/no (maybe a third "emergency" option, but start at yes/no). If the player with "no" as his long snapper trait is placed into the position, his relevant ratings take a massive nosedive for any plays he is on the field as a long snapper.

The problem with this approach is that it might make it difficult to find a long snapper at all, there'd have to be a free agent search feature where one could filter all the available free agents by DPP traits and/or ratings. The CPU roster management would also explicitly have to take this DPP trait into account when reorganizing its depth chart; I don't know that it takes DPP into account at all right now.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 05-20-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #24
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
What's sad is that it's almost there. I firmly believe AWR impacts OL penalties (maybe not for other positions, or other ratings might take precedence, like my CBs are always called the most for facemask...and they have the lowest TAK ratings on the team...)

So adding in Composure with it applying differently to various aspects and potential errors sounds like a great idea - and anything making DPP more impacting and fleshed out, I'm all for.

It's like, if the game would just take the next step to make things less purely "roll of the dice" but add in more factors the shift and sway the possibilities, a lot of things we talk about might already have existed.

Composure + Relevant ratings + Situations + AWR influence = a robust system for mistakes and penalties.
Exactly. The hesitation in fleshing out realism in Madden seems so blatant, in comparison to a game like HC09. Looman stated when making that game, their main focus was having the most realistic representation of applicable aspects of NFL management and it showed. However, in Madden we are constantly being told that the focus is NFL authenticity in every area in the game but the final product has yet to reflect that.

The POV for approaching Madden is just so backwards, imo. Games like MLB The Show and NBA2k are about focusing on creating a top notch authentic career mode, league wide experience and then allows gamers to utilize the game play portion of that, for head to head, play now. However, Madden has been created from a head to head, play now POV, then attempts to plug that into its' career modes and it shows in the quality or lack thereof in those modes and game play in general. Most gamers that participate in career modes online or offline are not the type of gamers that want some quick game, they are looking for something more in-depth and fleshed out, not what amounts to a 17+ week play now tournament.

Anyway, Connected Careers and the other announcements for June 4th will be indicators of what the POV is for this new team, imo. If an advanced on field AI and more fleshed out player management aspects are included, it will be a good sign of change.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »