Home

Old 05-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
Banned

Ninjas N Grits's Arena

OVR: 3
QB Vision

I like when game company's try to be inventive. It doesn't always work, but it shows gamers that they are trying. The vision cone was a new (note: not a rehashed) idea to Madden. And while it wasn't my favorite, and most people hated it, it presented a good representation of what a QB can see. Some QBs, manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, can see the field better than others. But its hard to replicate that on a video game.

So how about instead of a cone to control, you have to select a receiver using the icon, and then either hit it again for your throw type, or hold it down?

****Everybody knows Jackie Robinson was #42****
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 25
I had a similar thought using just the QB's head movement. Something along the lines of use the right stick to make the qb look left and right. Not as specific as the old cone and probably less tedious but still representing the fact that you need to look in the general direction of where you are throwing to achieve maximum accuracy.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: QB Vision

I didn't like it, but some people liked it because it gave awareness some meaning. I say just have the LB/RB or LT/RT buttons switch the sides of the field your QB can look at and have awareness dictate how aware the QB notices an open receiver by flashing the open receivers icon but not every single time a receiver is open, maybe just 75% of the time or something.

But maybe QB Vision wouldn't be so bad if an actual pocket was better represented in the game.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

I would be in favor of an under the hood solution where awareness will act as negative modifier to other ratings when the player is user controlled.

I'm not sure if this could be applied to all positions as I'm not sure how the game checks to see if a player is user controlled or not.

Ideally they would add "user controlled" as a trigger for such a modifier. Awareness needs to have an impact on user controlled players.

For QBs maybe it could slow down the animation or reduce accuracy a few points. Now most people would hate anything that would make them less superhuman so I doubt to ever see something implemented.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
MVP

berad88's Arena

OVR: 10

A method under the hood based on awareness I am all for.
Any user control though to make the quarterback look a certain way to see a receiver and then throw the ball is just to slow and clumsy and not a great idea.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

I know I'm in the minority when I say this, but I think QB vision was one of the best things EA ever did with Madden. People always complain how it made offense harder, but I thought it actually in at least one way gave the offense an advantage. It gave you the ability to look off your WRs.

There was nothing better than playing someone that was user controlling their FS and baiting them with the vision cone setting up a big play to another WR. I remember one play I was scrambling and switch my vision cone 6 times before finding an open WR in the back of the endzone. It did make things harder at times, but that difficulty made it more rewarding when you pulled off an awesome play.

Madden currently, IMO, is boring. The passing is as basic as it was in Madden '98, and the running is even worse. The RB has absolutely no moves except for break tackle moves. A well timed juke means nothing because you can't really juke unless you enter the tackle animation and then you have to rely on ratings instead of skill. EA has done as much as possible to take user skill out of the game, IMO. Of course, the better player is still going to win the majority of the time, but its more about playing percentages. There is no thrill because the entire game is canned to the max.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
Rookie

nosaints26's Arena

OVR: 3

I really think QB Vision was, and is, hands-down the best way to account for the differences between a true veteran QB with a good arm and a rookie with a good arm. It added flavor to passing and spice to playing defense (particularly free safety).

Now Madden is watered down on both sides of the ball. I mean, come on now- defensive assist??? All I have to do is hold down a button and the CPU controls my defender for me?? Playing outfield at FS used to be fun and exciting, now you have leagues banning players from switching while the ball is in the air because it's so incredibly easy to user control and user pick balls.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjas N Grits
I like when game company's try to be inventive. It doesn't always work, but it shows gamers that they are trying. The vision cone was a new (note: not a rehashed) idea to Madden. And while it wasn't my favorite, and most people hated it, it presented a good representation of what a QB can see. Some QBs, manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, can see the field better than others. But its hard to replicate that on a video game.

So how about instead of a cone to control, you have to select a receiver using the icon, and then either hit it again for your throw type, or hold it down?

****Everybody knows Jackie Robinson was #42****
I guess I didn't really answer your question. Yes, I think that would be good improvement. Just have two button presses. What I'd prefer however, is to use the face buttons to select the WRs and use the RT to throw the pass. Then you vary the touch based on how hard you pull the trigger. By doing that, you could put lead passing on the R-Stick so that it doesn't interfere with your scrambling.

Of course this would make it so that you couldn't sprint with the QB. I think clicking in on the R-Stick or maybe the L-Stick should switch from passing and running mode. I know this would be slightly cumbersome, but I believe it would be great to reduce people wanting to sprint out of the pocket all the time.

Madden 13 is reworking pass leading. I hope they are doing it so that, you lead based on how long you hold the stick in a direction. You should be able to over lead so that there is a skill aspect involved. Better WRs should be better at adjusting on off target passes so that they give you more freedom to throw them open.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »