Home

Infinity Engine and Injuries?

This is a discussion on Infinity Engine and Injuries? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 2
Re: Infinity Engine and Injuries?

Well I wondered about this as well after hearing about physics. I was relieved to see Josh Looman still on the madden team. Anyone that played head coach 09 knows they had a pretty good injury system in place. I believe that system would show off the physics engine the best. Basically each part of the body took hit points that would reflect damage based on hits to that particular part of the body. Each limb as well as the head and torso was accounted for. Now w a team solely focused on the physics engine they could implement this system to create real time injuries as well as have some kind of calculation where you could have random injuries as well depending on force of impact. Head coach had some of the best features I've ever seen in a football game. If EA is able to bring some of these features over and upgrade them along with their new physics engine, the results could be limitless. I think what I'm worried about is ball security while being hit. I know this was an early build that was shown at E3 but none of the hits showed seemed to knock the ball free. Obviously they have time to tune this but there were a few videos where the ball carrier would have the ball completely seperated from his body only to suffer another hit but still maintain complete possession of the ball. Hopefully they tune this to make the ball an object and not so much a part of the offensive player's equipment that can't be taken from him. I think that's where the physics engine will either succeed or fail is if the football is a dynamic object on the field that any player has a right to possess. Sorry about the long post but I'm excited about the possibilities with this new engine and just interested to see how far EA will take this cuz they've promised things b4 and didn't back it up. So hopefully they're all in as far as really implementing this engine the right way

Last edited by dman08; 06-05-2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANT_P1989
I HIGHLY doubt the NFL will allow Madden to have "visual injuries". The NFL doesn't allow knocking off helmets anymore, so I'd say no to the physics showing real time injuries.
I'd guess that's probably a good point.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #11
Banned

Cre8's Arena

OVR: 9

It will do this game a great disservice if they don't include correct injuries to accompany the physics. Injuries are part of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre8
It will do this game a great disservice if they don't include correct injuries to accompany the physics. Injuries are part of the game.
True, but if the NFL wont let them do it there's not much to be done.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 8

This is one thing that doesn't make that much of a difference IMO. As long as the injuries are of realistic frequency and severity I personally don't care if it visually shows a player to get injured or not.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #14
EA Game Changer

OVR: 28

I actually asked fellow EA SPORTS Game Changer Shopmaster about this topic yesterday on Twitter:

I agree with all of you-it probably has a lot to do with the NFL. Just like they won't allow the "hit stick" to mean devastating injuries...I doubt the league wants the new engine to be precise in terms of injuries.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
Straight cash homie

FreAk47's Arena

OVR: 3

They can still have hit specific injuries without making bones snap and limbs contort. I think what people are looking for is just that it makes sense as far as where a guy was hit. If a QB gets hit low while standing in the pocket, we don't want to see him leave the game with a concussion...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #16
Banned

Cre8's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreAk47
They can still have hit specific injuries without making bones snap and limbs contort. I think what people are looking for is just that it makes sense as far as where a guy was hit. If a QB gets hit low while standing in the pocket, we don't want to see him leave the game with a concussion...
They can take concussions out if they want to but this game is missing real injuries that really happen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »