Home

Madden More Than Just a Game?

This is a discussion on Madden More Than Just a Game? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #17
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Madden More Than Just a Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pats3912
This is exactly why online is NOT the future of Madden. I do play in an online league and it is a lot of fun. But usually after 5 or 6 seasons I get sick of it due to our Competitiveness getting the best of us and exploiting weaknesses in the AI. Sometimes I just want to sit back and enjoy the experience as "just a game" and not always be stressed about what other people are doing in the league.

This is also why I am so upset at the direction of CCM.

I love all the improvements to the mode, but it is built from the ground up for online play first.

I don't want to or care about online play. I want my franchise and from everything I have read, Madden 12 will have to suffice.

I want to use my own customized rosters. I want to play games not on my schedule. I want to edit players in franchise mode. I want to start a fantasy draft. I want to play franchise on the same 360 with my friend who comes over once a week. I want to play as his opponent for that week and I want him to play as mine.

I don't want to play randoms online, and I don't have 5 people on my friends list who I trust to start an online franchise with, let alone 32. I don't have TIME to be in an online franchise. Sometime I rip off 4 games in a row... and then don't touch Madden again for a week. Sometimes when I am playing, my wife needs me to help her with something, so I have to pause the game for like half an hour.

So, again, I love all the additions to franchise mode... but for what I want to do, I am completely turned off by the game.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #18
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

I guess to answer the question, yes and no. I mean, it is a game. Football is a game... but it's a game I have a lot of passion for. Heck, here in Peru I recently found out someone started up and American Football club. There are around 30 guys, who are mostly Peruvian with some Europeans and only 3 actual Americans [My boss, my friend and myself.] I am playing, but I am also helping to coach these guys up.

You see, I am not a Madden fanboy, or a Madden *****. I didn't grow up playing Madden. My first football video game was Troy Aikeman Football for the SNES. My first Madden was Madden 99 for the N64. I then moved to NFL 2k on my friend's Sega Dream Cast where we would play at his house all the time. Eventually he got 2k2 and I got Madden 02 for my NGC. When I got Madden 03 though, he switched over. We played the life out of 03 and 04. After that obviously came 2k5, a game I took with me down here to South America. I pretty much skipped most of Madden 05 and 06. I played a ton of Madden 07 though and loved it. I made the move to the 360 back in April of 08 and ought a used copy of 08. UGH... and I have been playing the current generation of Madden and 2k8 since.

The 2k franchise showed that football could be accurately represented a lot better than Madden ever has. While there were still problems in some areas of the AI, the game play and animations are still far superior to this day. It's really embarrassing that it has taken this long and Madden STILL looks like an inferior product on the field.

What kept me playing madden though was the NFL license and all the things we could do off of the field. I remember staying up with Madden 04 building custom formations and plays in the play creator and saving them on my memory card. One day my neighbor's older son found out I played Madden and invited me to play with his buddies. So, I brought over my memory card and loaded up my custom book and quickly wreaked face. The other guys couldn't move the ball, they couldn't stop me. They all thought they were good at the game beating up on each other... and then I tore them all apart, but it was fun. Everyone was laughing and people were commenting on my plays and formations.

After a while they asked me to just use a normal play book, so I agreed... and still smashed them. One guy said "I know how I'll beat him!" and took the Falcons... so I called QB spy plays and covered deep, giving him everything thing he wanted mid range... but Vick only had like 78 throwing accuracy in that game, and couldn't hit a fat bull in the butt. At least, not consistently.

Half the fun there was talking to the guys after game and explaining what I was doing and helping them get better at the game. They would invite me back over and start asking questions on how to counter things they couldn't stop that the other guys liked to do... and I did it all with sim tactics, teaching them X's and O's.

So, back to Madden 12... I have been working with Jarodd on creating custom sliders that fit my play style/skill and what I want out of the game. I have a set that I am enjoying right now... and one of the real keys is thanks to KBLover and his 100 fatigue/5 Injury & substitution settings. The stamina rating really matters now as some players get tired very quickly while others don't. It also has an impact late in games as some players are just more tired than others. A #2 HB with speed coming in against a tired defense can be a real game changer.

So, sure, the game play isn't as realistic as 2k8, but I found my own way to enjoy it and get plays to play out as best as I can. Right now, if your team doesn't have good block shedders, they have a hard time containing the run. If you use the 49ers or Patriots who have block shedders, it is a lot easier. If you don't have good run blockers, you will struggle, but if you have good run blockers you won't break NFL records either. If you don't have good man coverage corners, then you will get chewed up... but if you do, you can slow down and stop offenses. I have gotten to a point where I feel the ratings matter more than they ever have when I played Madden. So, I am really starting to enjoy the game again.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #19
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

I just want to add, for those that hate online. I dont want to try to change your mind but I would really give one of the better run online franchises here on OS or even at TSO a look. They can be a bit time consuming. But, with good leadership and active users the experience alone can be worth a purchase.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't be getting Madden 13 of not for OS Vets PS3 franchise and my feeling of unfinished business there. (Hated the 3-4 and how I couldn't get pressure with Orakpo and had Rex Grossman as my QB...enough said) With EA FINALLY giving onine franchise the tools to do everything off-season from within the game I think it could be a great year to be in a good online franchise.

Just a thought.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 06-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #20
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Just a game to me. It's hard to speak about Madden specifically because I haven't played much the past 7 years. But sports games in general are just games to me.

Sure, I'm an ex ametuer athelte & a big sports fan, so I guess I live through gaming a bit. Though my friends & I are quite competetive, it doesn't approach the win at all cost level. I have friends that play run & gun style basketball, pass every down style football, but most are completely unaware of the tourney tactics that exist.

As for the fun, my friends & I still get together on occasion & play for hours. It's just not nearly as often, & doesn't inlcude much Madden any more. The fun is a combination of competition & the quality of the particular game. NBA 2K & Fight Night Champion get the most run. MLB The Show get's love because of how great the game is, but I'm one of the few big baseball fans in my clique. Same for FIFA to a lesser extent. And my only boy that still buys Madden faithfully always gets someone to play him, but Madden rarely ever gets a 2nd spin.

I'm not sure Madden's success is due to marketing its game in a competitve light, at least no more than anyone else. I just think they have more resources, longer history & "recreate" the most popular sport in the US. It's a winning combination.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #21
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I'm not sure Madden's success is due to marketing its game in a competitve light, at least no more than anyone else. I just think they have more resources, longer history & "recreate" the most popular sport in the US. It's a winning combination.
Madden's success comes down to two things only: exclusive licence + football-mad North Americans. That's all. If there was a better NFL-licenced option for gamers to purchase, they'd buy that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #22
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Just a game to me. It's hard to speak about Madden specifically because I haven't played much the past 7 years. But sports games in general are just games to me.

Sure, I'm an ex ametuer athelte & a big sports fan, so I guess I live through gaming a bit. Though my friends & I are quite competetive, it doesn't approach the win at all cost level. I have friends that play run & gun style basketball, pass every down style football, but most are completely unaware of the tourney tactics that exist.

As for the fun, my friends & I still get together on occasion & play for hours. It's just not nearly as often, & doesn't inlcude much Madden any more. The fun is a combination of competition & the quality of the particular game. NBA 2K & Fight Night Champion get the most run. MLB The Show get's love because of how great the game is, but I'm one of the few big baseball fans in my clique. Same for FIFA to a lesser extent. And my only boy that still buys Madden faithfully always gets someone to play him, but Madden rarely ever gets a 2nd spin.

*Off Topic*

Bezo, give the hockey game a try. Even if you aren't a fan of hockey it translates into videogames extremely well. It is very fun to play against friends and also fun to play co-op either offline or online. Pick up NHL 13 and take a day or two to learn the controls. You can thank me after!
Old 06-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 2

For me it's just a game, but it is thee game (Madden) by far which I anticipate the most every year. It's my retreat for an hour or two every night. The only time I played Madden on-line was '10, and just for 3 games. Two of which my opponent's quit early. I don't have as much time as I would like to game, and having people quit just wasted precious gaming time. I prefer to stay off-line and lose myself in franchise mode (or CC now).
Old 06-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #24
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by R9NALD9
I simply refuse to play online at all...
There will always be some people ruining the experience for everyone simply because they aren't mature enough to lose with respect.

Whether it's soccer, madden, call of duty or a racing game(which is the worst imo) these people just ruin the experience for everyone to such and extent that playing online isn't enjoyable to me at all.

It's a sickness of this world, everyone demands success and just can't get to grips with the fact that you will not be the best all the time. Respect, integrity are 2 values that are very rare in this world of ours. Especially when there is prizes or money on the line, then people really lose perspective.

I choose to play madden offline, franchise(or CC) is what it is all about for me. It's also the only way I really enjoy Madden. I love making up my own story lines...and actually enjoy losing games throughout the season without some punk trashtalking me.
QFT. Outstanding post and it's why I choose to play Offline-only as well.

The ONLY time I had fun playing online was when we had the ACQB league for APF 2K8. It was comprised of a lot of like-minded individuals and the games were very SIM. Heck, we booted a guy when we moved over to Madden 10 because we saw he was cheesing the CPU in his games.

I can't take playing random people, though. The level of immaturity is just something I really don't have the patience for.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »