Home

Gaming Examiner: Madden 13 Interview with the Developers

This is a discussion on Gaming Examiner: Madden 13 Interview with the Developers within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #65
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Gaming Examiner: Madden 13 Interview with the Developers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
How is a clear, concise explanation regarding the excluded editing features, a basic answer? He was asked, and he gave a reasonable explanation along with an encouraging comment for the future. You either accept it or you don't. Either way, people need to move on now.
No he was talking about NCAA Imports...Not Player editing..Though I am happy for the people who loved their imports and that they acknowledge it was important to people.....Ive seen no such contrition for Player Editing for example

And Looman again side stepped another opportunity to calm people down about the loss of some of these things....

The Interviewer let him get away with it......Where was the follow up of

What about

Custom Playbooks
Watch/Play Any Other Franchise Game
Full Player Editing(Ratings Too) In CC Mode
Start CC with our own Rosters
Fantasy Draft
32-Team Control
CC Couch Co-op

????

"Well we built CC Mode from the Ground Up.....**Insert Feature**....For that we just didn't have time to make it Gel with CC Modes new Code"

Them using That Line and picking choosing a feature that we lost every other year for the next Decade is what people are so worried about

My CFB Teams:
Marshall..WVU-Go Herd/Eeers!!!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #66
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan
No he was talking about NCAA Imports...Not Player editing..Though I am happy for the people who loved their imports and that they acknowledge it was important to people.....Ive seen no such contrition for Player Editing for example

And Looman again side stepped another opportunity to calm people down about the loss of some of these things....

The Interviewer let him get away with it......Where was the follow up of

What about

Custom Playbooks
Watch/Play Any Other Franchise Game
Full Player Editing(Ratings Too) In CC Mode
Start CC with our own Rosters
Fantasy Draft
32-Team Control
CC Couch Co-op

????

"Well we built CC Mode from the Ground Up.....**Insert Feature**....For that we just didn't have time to make it Gel with CC Modes new Code"

Them using That Line and picking choosing a feature that we lost every other year for the next Decade is what people are so worried about
A. It was the end of the interview, no need to pin it on the interviewer because you are still upset, 3 weeks after the announcement.

B. I would think that answer would bring a ray hope for the other modes that people are disappointed were left out, but that is not the case.

C. Looman didn't sidestep anything, he was asked a question, and gave the answer in full detail.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #67
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Choosing abilities/ratings to increase by how many XP points are gained is unrealistic. That made it into the game.
I posted this yesterday in a now closed thread, and it's pertinent here as well:

Quote:
On this point you're completely correct - but this is one of those areas that EA, let alone any company who attempts to make an NFL game, past, present, or future, will never be able to replicate realistically. The simple reason for that is because there is no reasonable explanation for a player's potential, ever. Who saw Tom Brady or Miles Austin coming? On the opposite side, Joey Harrington? David Carr? In 1996, 25 players were chosen ahead of Ray Lewis, and other than Indy I'm sure 24 of those teams would like to have those picks back. You can't accurately replicate real-life potential - it's impossible.
So to use progression as an example of allowing an unrealistic mechanic to exist in the game isn't a great point to stand on.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #68
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftershock9958
I posted this yesterday in a now closed thread, and it's pertinent here as well:

On this point you're completely correct - but this is one of those areas that EA, let alone any company who attempts to make an NFL game, past, present, or future, will never be able to replicate realistically.

So to use progression as an example of allowing an unrealistic mechanic to exist in the game isn't a great point to stand on.
And this is where you are absolutely wrong. Yes they will be able to replicate a real world model of progression. It's just code. What they won't be able to do is MIMIC the real world. But the can most definitely replicate a real world model. You are just flat out wrong here.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #69
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
A. It was the end of the interview, no need to pin it on the interviewer because you are still upset, 3 weeks after the announcement.

B. I would think that answer would bring a ray hope for the other modes that people are disappointed were left out, but that is not the case.

C. Looman didn't sidestep anything, he was asked a question, and gave the answer in full detail.
A. I am disappointed wth this interviewer and every other Intviewer since E3 who hasn't gotten him to talk about where they view the importance of those things left out this year

B. NCAA Imports are the only thing that Ive seen them express some sense of loss over.....In other Tweets and Podcasts they appear to be dumbfounded why this is an issue for some people

C. That was a two part question....He answered the 1st part in his opinion and didn't answer the 2nd part about are Features taking a Hit???Some Clearly did

My CFB Teams:
Marshall..WVU-Go Herd/Eeers!!!

Last edited by SteelerSpartan; 06-26-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #70
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
And this is where you are absolutely wrong. Yes they will be able to replicate a real world model of progression. It's just code. What they won't be able to do is MIMIC the real world. But the can most definitely replicate a real world model. You are just flat out wrong here.
It's 100% impossible. There is no formula in the world that can come close to accurately replicating boom and bust athletes.

I've said this similarly about three separate times, and the individual responses amount to "yes you can" - so why don't you surprise me, prove me wrong, and explain how this can be done realistically?

(pro-tip: You can't)
Old 06-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #71
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman

I have nothing really to add to A...

B. I think the trouble is that NCAA imports was mentioned from the jump as something EA wants to get back in. It was made to sound like a priority once it's up to speed for the new mode. Great, but that ONLY addresses NCAA imports.

That is not the case with the other missing features. In fact, on a few occasions Looman referred to editing as minor and seemed surprised people thought it was important. That is why the acknowledgement of imports don't necessarily correlate to understanding of the importance of the other features.

Further, much of the rationale given by those who defend or are accepting of the decision to exclude the editing, multi-team control, custom rosters, etc often make claims about the "code" and programming difficulties, conflicts, etc.

If this is actually the case, what makes people think that these features can just be plugged back in next year? In other words, constraints in programming aren't going to change, only constraints in time. Since we have no idea of the time it will take to implement the features into CCM (another common explanation given), then we can't possibly have any assurance they'll make it in for 14.

To summarize, the lack of assurance of priority given to such features, coupled with potential restraints doesn't give anyone any reason to have confidence these features will all be back soon.

And that's ignoring spotty series history, which could understandably sway someone's optimism as well. It's fair for people to be concerned, especially in light of the fact that this series has been extremely unstable in terms of feature integration and development leadership and direction.

C. I won't pretend to know the mind of SteelerSpartan, but I think the point he was making here was that Looman missed an opportunity to actually put the concern for these other features to rest.

In other words, when asked about missing features, he passed on a chance to give the same acknowledgement to custom rosters, editing, and multi offline user control that he gave to NCAA imports. That's what I took from "sidestepped another opportunity." It's not so much ducking the question as it is avoiding the issue.

Now, from my perspective, none of that's not to say it means gloom and doom for those features, but the point is there is nothing positive to hang one's hat on in regards to them either. That's also not to say that EA is required to acknowledge them. It's only to say that inferring anything positive about other features from Looman's comments on NCAA imports is, at best, a stretch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #72
Rookie

Sheen_O_Mack's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftershock9958

I don't see it as being completely unrealistic. As a coach when you draft a player/take over a team you are going to coach them in the areas that are going to most benefit your scheme, i.e if you play primarily zone then your are going to coach up your player on zone coverage, same if you are going to play man. With DE if you want a guy to be a premier pass rusher you are going to spend less time on run stopping mechanics. You will get guys who are studs all around so you may just teach them both but most players are not those studs. This gives you the option of progressing players in a way that fits your scheme not just hope the game develops him in a way that will help you.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »