Home

The community wants better sideline models in Madden vote for it here

This is a discussion on The community wants better sideline models in Madden vote for it here within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #17
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: The community wants better sideline models in Madden vote for it here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyReign
Unless the sideline is interactive like.... well, lets not bring that game up.

Basically, if it isn't interactive don't worry about it -- go hard or not at all in my book.
Yeah that's what the idea I wanted people to vote on is talking about, interactive sidelines. Interacting with players, chain gang, coaches, fans, etc...
Old 06-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
http://mgi-gc.easports.com/a/dtd/Sidelines/138005-18503

"Let's be honest the sidelines in our favorite football games have been the same, eyesore, they have been for quite some time now with little improvement. I want to see actual players on my team on the sidelines. I want to see them react to players charging out of bounds near them. Better collision with chain gang, coaches, refs, and the environment."
Heck yeah man..they have literally been untouched since day one of this current gen. I use to gripe about this for 3 years straight years ago and i finally tossed in the towel on it as my cries were not heard..i am glad to see others feel that they stick out like a sore thumb and REALLY put a hit on the overall atmosphere of the game visually.

I know system ram has to have something to do with this but there are work around and software methods that other developers are using these last few years of t his gen of consoles that really are enhancing the visuals of things... One of the new games that just came out that has excellent looking fans and sideline personnel is the new London Olympic's game by Sega... they look phenomenal in these huge stadiums..granted its not a football game but there has to be ways to improve the look of the crowd and especially the robotic sideline players that look like blow up doll dummies

If there is a petition..show me the link, i'll gladly sign it lol

I woud love to see some head movement of the sideline players tracking where the play is o the field and i would ABSOLUTELY love to see sideline players waving their hands in the air as a playing is running down a sideline to the endzone..stuff like that. Again..i know memory constraints is probably an issues..but there are ways to work around this..many many other developers use this method during the end of a consoles life cycle to get more out of it and they usually do it using software methods rather than having to rely on ram.

Last edited by Moegames; 06-27-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #19
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Did I ever say the player animations or on the field models didn't need any work? Why does everyone have to look at it like if they fix one thing they won't fix anything else?
JP, the reality of the situation is that improving the sideline models will take away from something else. They'd have to reduce the on-field graphics in order to render the sideline stuff at a higher poly count.

I just wish people actually thought about this stuff. Taking away from what's on the field in order to make the crowd and sidelines look better is not worth it, IMO.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #20
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
JP, the reality of the situation is that improving the sideline models will take away from something else. They'd have to reduce the on-field graphics in order to render the sideline stuff at a higher poly count.

I just wish people actually thought about this stuff. Taking away from what's on the field in order to make the crowd and sidelines look better is not worth it, IMO.
True (to an extent), but you are making assumptions as well, just on the other end of the spectrum. You don't know where they could pull the resources since other games manage good primary graphics while having better secondary/peripheral graphics than Madden does. We are told a lot of things about limitations, but often it eventually comes down to optimization of resources over time. In other words, it may be possible for future installments (especially as we move on to the next generation of consoles).

To be honest, I have little concern for sideline stuff more than what's in already (I too feel there are more pressing issues), but I also don't think the request is as "thoughtless" as you imply.

If you are that strongly against it, vote it down, but anything that can enhance the experience of the game is worth bringing to EA's attention IMO.

Last edited by SoxFan01605; 06-27-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: clarified...
Old 06-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #21
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
True (to an extent), but you are making assumptions as well, just on the other end of the spectrum. You don't know where they could pull the resources since other games manage good primary graphics while having better secondary/peripheral graphics than Madden does. We are told a lot of things about limitations, but often it eventually comes down to optimization of resources over time. In other words, it may be possible for future installments (especially as we move on to the next generation of consoles).

To be honest, I have little concern for sideline stuff more than what's in already (I too feel there are more pressing issues), but I also don't think the request is as "thoughtless" as you imply.

If you are that strongly against it, vote it down, but anything that can enhance the experience of the game is worth bringing to EA's attention IMO.
How many other games model 22 full poly characters with complicated AI plus the stadium architecture?

It's obviously a drain on both systems. From what I understand, they push it as far as it can go. To take resources from anything that's happening on the field, whether it's AI routines or lighting or polys, and put it towards something in the periphery, is not worth it.

It's like the Mortal Kombat Vita game. They have the fully-animated backgrounds of the console version, but the models stink because of it. That's not a worthy trade off.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #22
MVP

With current generation consoles going on 8 years, I'd rather them wait until the next gen consoles (PS4/XBOX 720) to improve the sidelines. No point of doing it now if something else on the field will take an impact.

Real time physics in all faucets of the game, Interactive sidelines, along with other great improvements on Next Generation consoles will be a treat to see!
Old 06-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #23
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
How many other games model 22 full poly characters with complicated AI plus the stadium architecture?

It's obviously a drain on both systems. From what I understand, they push it as far as it can go. To take resources from anything that's happening on the field, whether it's AI routines or lighting or polys, and put it towards something in the periphery, is not worth it.

It's like the Mortal Kombat Vita game. They have the fully-animated backgrounds of the console version, but the models stink because of it. That's not a worthy trade off.
It doesn't have to be to the same exact standard of the on-field players. It also doesn't have to be complicated AI. The request was for reactions/collisions, which can be very basic.

NBA 2K has the full bench react with animations and decent characters (not as high quality as on the court) along with decent crowd models right behind the bench, etc. Both baseball games have a full dugout that animates and detects (to a small extent) collision, along with crowds that react to plays as well.

My point is that it doesn't have to be as dramatic as you are making it sound and developers always find ways to optimize within constraints. Every year it seems limits are reached and yet ways are found to squeeze just a bit more.

We don't know where they could pull the resources that could potentially strike a balance. If it functioned in a way like 3D grass, for example (looks 3D when up close but not when at a distance) it might be more feasible.

Again, my point isn't whether or not they should (we essentially agree on whether or not it should be a priority). In fact, I agree with djordan that it would best be something saved for the next generation of consoles. I just simply disagree with the notion that it's an unreasonable request.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #24
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

I think perhaps you're overblowing my argument, but whatever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »