Home

Physics and Ratings"will this year matter"

This is a discussion on Physics and Ratings"will this year matter" within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #49
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Physics and Ratings"will this year matter"

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Fos
I think they will matter more, once all of these slider gurus get together and customize it. Im looking fwd to seeing how much things like 100 threshold or 100 fatigue can create a more sim style game
I might try 100 threshold this coming season in my franchise.

If it does make defense better...that's actually a scary thought...

My MLB might get 250 tackles! LOL
Old 07-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #50
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

I might try the 100 threshold too. Right now I am using auto sprint off and NOT using sprint. 100 threshold with auto sprint on might be worth messing with. Right now speed KILLS even with out pressing sprint once.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #51
Banned

D_Fos's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I might try 100 threshold this coming season in my franchise.

If it does make defense better...that's actually a scary thought...

My MLB might get 250 tackles! LOL
In my limited experience, it tended to tighten up the playing field, and allowed players with higher pursuit ie. Linebackers like P. Willis to really become beastly and rack up the tackles like they do irl.
It allowed the defensive front 7 to shine imo. Pursuit ratings mean something for once.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #52
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Fos
In my limited experience, it tended to tighten up the playing field, and allowed players with higher pursuit ie. Linebackers like P. Willis to really become beastly and rack up the tackles like they do irl.
It allowed the defensive front 7 to shine imo. Pursuit ratings mean something for once.
Yeah, that's the scary part. My MLB already had a 200 tackle season and several 170 (CPU controlled, always) with 16 threshold.

And them PUR means more with 100 thresh? I pity the CPU fools LOL
Old 07-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #53
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Reading people discuss the speed threshold and the improvement of defensive pursuit got me to wondering. I realize there is no direct way to fix swerving/zig zag running but would indirectly improving pursuit universally through speed threshold or some other method be a band aid for it, by allowing defenders to make contact?

For example in this infamous KR at the 11:30 mark (be sure to watch the slow-mo instant replay as well), would some indirect universal improvement to pursuit potentially allow defenders to make contact with a player left stick swerving/zig zag running like this, therefore making attempting moves to actually allude and/or break tackles necessary? Also, with the added benefit of the Infinity engine being a factor sense contact would be made.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #54
Banned

D_Fos's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Reading people discuss the speed threshold and the improvement of defensive pursuit got me to wondering. I realize there is no direct way to fix swerving/zig zag running but would indirectly improving pursuit universally through speed threshold or some other method be a band aid for it, by allowing defenders to make contact?

For example in this infamous KR at the 11:30 mark (be sure to watch the slow-mo instant replay as well), would some indirect universal improvement to pursuit potentially allow defenders to make contact with a player left stick swerving/zig zag running like this, therefore making attempting moves to actually allude and/or break tackles necessary? Also, with the added benefit of the Infinity engine being a factor sense contact would be made.

Imo, yes. I havent played M13 but in M12 it allowed defenders to close faster and the tackling animation would kick in sooner, not allowing the offense player to be too many steps ahead, if that makes sense.
Now with infinity, supposedly you can loose your balance/momentum easier bc of the RTP incorporated into it, so I would imagine the defense could be even better with the threshold higher. Thats what im hoping to see. I love the defensive type games, when 1 or 2 plays can decide your teams fate. So I look forward to getting some sliders/settings to suit that
Old 07-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #55
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

I would imagine threshold being higher could/would help. I've also heard that the Tackle slider actually impacts response to movement by the offense - probably what it's doing is aiding PUR (and maybe PRC?) in addition to the obvious (TAK rating). I believe in Playmakers' thread he mentions that it "impacts how close the defenders are to/get to the ball/ball carrier". I can't remember exactly as it's been a while, but maybe searching his threads might uncover it.

The tackling slider also adds the POW rating it seems and/or pressures the ball carrier's CAR rating - as it causes more fumbles from my experience.

Run Reaction is supposed to aid that as well, which is why I have it jacked to the moon for both User and CPU. Defenders responding better to changes of direction and falling for jukes and spins less (the timing window to pull them off is probably shrunk, given how the game works).

Jarodd and I had some discussions about Run Reaction and I convinced him to up it some. He tried 25 (from 0) and noticed better performance from his defense on run plays, making me think it's probably PRC and maybe also PUR to a degree. This was with his Black sliders as well - his toughest set.

Assuming M13 is going to play largely the same until Infinity comes into play on actual contact, I wouldn't be surprised if it works the same way in that game as well.

Last edited by KBLover; 07-23-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2012, 12:14 AM   #56
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Appreciate the feedback guys and I am all for anything that will potentially diminish the effectiveness of left stick swerving/zig zagging. I am very hopeful that a culmination of various slider settings will make Madden play more true to football or at least give that impression. I despise the need for a large list of external rules just to play football in Madden, gamers having the freedom to attempt whatever they want, within reason and the game internally providing parameters to reasonably realistically regulate the success of those actions, is far better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »