Home

Should Madden fans vote on Player Ratings?

This is a discussion on Should Madden fans vote on Player Ratings? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Should fans decide on how players are rated in Madden?
Yes 3 2.50%
No 117 97.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #33
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Should Madden fans vote on Player Ratings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Doesn't matter in the slightest. No one will ever be rated to where everyone agrees.
If EA does it people complain that they need to have input from fans etc....
Now they let people vote and some say only EA should do it.
Whether it's Vince Lombardi or Miley Cyrus doing the ratings there will be those that don't agree and some that will agree.
It shows the focus of the game, though.

Input shouldn't come from fans or made up on the fly by EA, it should come from what the players actually do. How fast they run, how well they cover, etc.

To me, it not about "will everyone ever agree" (because, obviously, no, everyone will not agree), it's what's the baseline and what is driving the ratings for the players.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #34
Rookie

riggs6taters's Arena

OVR: 0

Alright who was the 1 guy?
Old 08-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #35
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingteeth
I say, "no,"

but hear me out completely.

How many folks are just casual football fans? How many people are suddenly football fans? How many people are die hard about stats and realism? How do you prevent even the actual NFL players from sneaking in and/or onto other accounts for voting themselves up? What do you do when NFL players or worse yet, their most stalkerish fan(s) get on twitter or facebook and ebomb millions to go online and vote to make said player the most highly rated? Don't think it'll happen? It's exactly how American Idol winners are chosen. Prove me wrong.
Seems like you was expecting a backlash with your "No" as a answer

As you can see with the vote totals you have plenty of company
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #36
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
It shows the focus of the game, though.

Input shouldn't come from fans or made up on the fly by EA, it should come from what the players actually do. How fast they run, how well they cover, etc.

To me, it not about "will everyone ever agree" (because, obviously, no, everyone will not agree), it's what's the baseline and what is driving the ratings for the players.
I agree with this totally. You dont need a bunch of fans voting just a solid formula to rate the players physical abilities is needed, and should be handled by one team.

Then we should just have a separate category explain the players behavior type on the football field.

This would help and explain a ton. Like for a example why a player like Megatron fights for the football where another WR with almost the same physical attributes don't.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #37
Pro

cuttingteeth's Arena

OVR: 14
Location: I live on the road - ghosting servers of family members...haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
Seems like you was expecting a backlash with your "No" as a answer

As you can see with the vote totals you have plenty of company
Haha...yeah...I've been institutionalized.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #38
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

I wonder whether the Madden "ratings team" process is more like the one used to decide NFL Blitz player ratings or Head Coach 09's....

I mean that as a serious question, not as a shot at Donny Moore because he worked on HC09 with Josh Looman. So if the powers that be are instructing Moore to "fun" up the ratings in Madden similar to how I would think they would be in NFL Blitz, nothing much he can do.

On the other hand, if Donny Moore was in fact the "ratings Czar" for HC09 and is now using that same method in Madden, I guess that would be a testament to how good the other elements of HC09 were to make that game NFL realistic, in spite of Moore's ratings, lol.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #39
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
While I definitely agree it shouldn't be like this, hear me out.

EA Sports picks the 3 top rated candidates in the given category. Those top 3 will have the highest rating for that given category. It's not an overall rating adjustment, those are already locked in.

For example.

Who is the fastest NFL QB in Madden?

Their choices Vick, RGIII and Pryor. (Not fan choices, but EA's decision)

ATM, RGIII has it locked up with Vick easily in 2nd w/ Pryor getting zero love, in third.

OK, so EA Sports picked THEIR 3 candidates, the fans vote on those 3 based off of speed.

What happens now?

Let's say they give RGIII a 94 speed, well, they'd give Vick a 93 and Pryor a 92. Every other QB in the game would have a 91 or slower QB speed rating. NONE would match any of those three, in terms of overall speed.

Add to the fact Donnie will update as the season progresses, to make these ratings moot.

Like I said, I don't like the way it is handled either, but it's marketing. It's an easy way to spread the word about Madden, it's a way to get fans involved. Do OS readers like it? No, but there are many fans of the game out there that love that sort of thing.

Carry on.
This post says it all.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Like I said, I don't like the way it is handled either, but it's marketing. It's an easy way to spread the word about Madden, it's a way to get fans involved.
Again, I ask why is realism not marketable?

Why must real differentiation of ability based on...actual ability be subverted in order to "create buzz"? Wanna get the fans involved? Have a contest where they guess who the highest rated player will be, the highest rated rookie, heck, do whatever got Hope Bromley in the game last year. It's utterly fictional, but at least the NFL players would still be in tact (and they gave her just C potential, even!)

I guess I just don't get Madden! It's becoming more an more apparent!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »