Home

Instead of ratings why not just abilities..

This is a discussion on Instead of ratings why not just abilities.. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #17
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Instead of ratings why not just abilities..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
I always liked the idea, but it's just not the way EA wants to do things. I remember this subject came up a few years ago, and the way it was explained - by Ian if I remember correctly - was that no matter if you have abilities or not, there is still a number representing everything a player does. APF had ratings behind all of those abilities, they were just hidden from my understanding. So, all you're doing is hiding that number from the user, but the CPU/AI would always have it when it evaluated things.

So, it's not really changing the way the game functions, it's just handicapping the user.
Exactly. I like the abilities system as well, but when you get right down to it, it's almost just a visual change rather than anything fundamental. Even with proposals of having animations driven by those abilities, the same can be done with the ratings today.

I think a more reasonable expectation for the ratings is for them to be eventually be grouped in a way that makes sense for each position. Scrolling through stiff arm ratings for your OL is for the birds.

One idea that I recall Dembroski floating is decreasing the scale for the ratings. So instead of having values 12-99 or whatever it currently is, the ratings instead would run from 1-10 or 1-15. Players would still be differentiated, but the ratings would probably be more significant. You probably can't tell the difference between a receiver w/ a catch rating of 88-90 (a diff of two ticks on current rating scale). What if that receiver went from an 8-10 on a 10 point scale? Same amount of ticks, but presumably a lot more impact. Plus players would be easier to rate IMO.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #18
bnb
Rookie

OVR: 4

i like the idea as well, and would be the first to praise such a change, but i think the general madden buying public (not implying that they're stupid, either) NEEDS a number affixed to their favorite players. they're also less concerned with IR, medical redshirts, practice squads, custom playbooks, etc. we're all pretty rabid football fans on this site, but we're also in the minority where sales numbers are concerned.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #19
Rookie

Riggins's Arena

OVR: 0

Another idea with drafts could be showing a player's college stats. Not sure how well that would work, but the three things that would make sense would be university (already shown,) combine results, and college stats. That way the draft could be based more on that and then red flag issues rather than rating and potential.

Fratagonia on YouTube, Fratagonia Sports Gaming.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #20
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggins
Another idea with drafts could be showing a player's college stats. Not sure how well that would work, but the three things that would make sense would be university (already shown,) combine results, and college stats. That way the draft could be based more on that and then red flag issues rather than rating and potential.
It would be cool if a college season was being simmed along while you are playing your franchise so you could see who's having a breakout year in college who in the running for the heisman and all this affecting draft stock.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #21
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyj123_321
I think APF2K8 had the right idea, as i have seen so do a few people on here. The problem with the ratings is what is really the difference between 99 THP and 93 THP? I can't seen one and the same goes for throwing accuracy. The ratings also don't really make elite players seem different from just average players. Madden 12 for example, I won a super bowl with LEVI BROWN in a first year chise btw. I played on All-star(I believe that's the one just before all-madden?) and finished 2nd in MVP race. What i'm getting at with that little story is that I shouldn't be able to carve up D's and put up MVP numbers with a 70 OVR QB. I think just having abilities like Cannon Arm, Laser Arm, Glue Hands, etc. instead of ratings would result in more accurate play styles of players. It's just my opinion and i would love to hear some of you all to elaborate on this further.
YOU are controlling Levi Brown, which allows you to put up those numbers.

In real life, the physical attributes of players are very similar. The only things that separate Ryan Leaf from Tom Brady are non physical attributes like work ethic, preparation, ANTICIPATION, and AWARENESS.

When you're controlling Levi Brown in a videogame it's not actually Levi Brown playing the game, it's YOU.

Edit: Go into player editing in Madden 12 and change Levi Brown's "Awareness" rating to match Tom Brady's. You'll see his OVR skyrocket. His low awareness rating means nothing when YOU control him, and is also one of the main reasons his OVR is 70.

Last edited by TeamBuilder; 08-01-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #22
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

I like the way Madden is supposedly doing it this year, where each team has a different philosophy and it changes the overall rating.

Having to assign our own ratings would be way too time-consuming for most gamers in my opinion; not to mention you would never know if trading for someone is a good idea.

And the abilities was interesting, but I think it was severely limited in 2k8.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 08-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #23
Pro

cuttingteeth's Arena

OVR: 14
Location: I live on the road - ghosting servers of family members...haha.

Very, very true. I think the answer/solution that everyone wants and that would be the end all is full Artificial Intelligence (meaning that computers are fully aware and reason like humans can). The reason you can be Levi Brown and win is due to your human ability of decision making - something computers can't replicate. Computers will only base any move on ratios/percentages of works vs. doesn't work and will never take a "what if" chance to try something.

It's weird, but I've gotten into long discussions with computer dev. friends before per what would make for better gaming - use what is considered AI, which is an algorithm of percentages...or...to just be randomly picked moves (or in the case of football, plays called). The conclusion we came to is that per football, on 1st down and 3rd down should be AI algorithm/percentage based selected plays, but every 2nd down call should be randomly picked from any run or pass play. 4th down and 1 would be the only time the whole thing gets muddy because depending on where you are and how much time is left on the clock, the options are wide open.

Last edited by cuttingteeth; 08-01-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: for clarity
Old 08-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyj123_321
I agree, but i'm suggesting something like let's say a rookie goes undrafted and his THP & THA are like a 80 and 76 but he is a gem and his true stats are actually like a 93 & 87 but you can only earn there true numbers by playing with them. Then you would add more depth to drafting and could have your guys who end up being the next Tom Brady(nobody expected Brady to be an all time great, but once he got his shot he never looked back) it may be a little complicated to put in a game and really make it work but if somehow they did that'd make CC/franchise whatever you wanna call it a 1000x times better.

If you all understand the idea i'm trying to get across.
How was Levi Brown a 70 QB, I don't get it. Levi Brown did also play DT, and OT at Penn state but not QB. Now similarly I Changed Michael Robinson (who was Levi's QB in college) to a QB but I upped his THP and THA a bit but he actaully use to play QB, He did take his team to the playoff in my first chise I'd think Levi would be rated a 58 at QB.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »