Home

Four Years Ago...

This is a discussion on Four Years Ago... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2012, 12:47 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Four Years Ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota822
That's your opinion, Madden has never advertised its gameplay as being a simulation. Games like NBA 2k, FIFA, pride themselves on being more of a "sim." Madden's thing has always been it's presentation which besides the audio (hopefully that changes this year) has been pretty good.

I'm not arguing that some gameplay changes should be made, but I don't expect this franchise to ever be a full representation of simulation football. Never has been, never will be.
"Never has been"? What was "If it's in the game, it's in the game" supposed to mean then?

If Madden isn't supposed to replicate the NFL then what is it trying to do exactly?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #26
Rookie

Dakota822's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi
"Never has been"? What was "If it's in the game, it's in the game" supposed to mean then?

If Madden isn't supposed to replicate the NFL then what is it trying to do exactly?
You don't think that quote falls along with presentation?

"If it's in the game, it's in the game."

I don't take that as translating to the gameplay being a complete simulation. Madden will always have that "arcadey" aspect to it gameplay wise because it just applies to a larger customer base. The only people that want hardcore Sim football area minority. Do you think Madden's younger audience really cares that the gameplay doesn't completely replicate real life? Or even the casual players that just pick it up and play with their buddies on occasion?

Catch me streaming @ http://www.twitch.tv/dakota_o/profile

Last edited by Dakota822; 08-08-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:56 AM   #27
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi

Yeah spending all that money buying up every freaking exclusive license they could get their hands on NFL, NCAA, Arena, HOF Players, ESPN, Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders, oxygen, Natural Gas, the Moon, NASA, my 1st Born, DLC's etc..etc... you would think they would want a true representation of the sport.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:

I don't take that as translating to the gameplay being a complete simulation.

I never said I wanted a hardcore gameplay sim, I said I want a product which resembles the sport I enjoy watching on TV.

Madden doesn't look like the NFL, Madden doesn't sound like the NFL, Madden doesn't feel like the NFL. It tries but it fails miserably.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #29
Rookie

Gaycandybacon's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionMaximus
Yeah spending all that money buying up every freaking exclusive license they could get their hands on NFL, NCAA, Arena, HOF Players, ESPN, Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders, oxygen, Natural Gas, the Moon, NASA, my 1st Born, DLC's etc..etc... you would think they would want a true representation of the sport.
I wouldn't blame them for not meeting the fans expectations because they have the NFL license. It's not like they're purposely taking advantage of the License so they can release any game without putting any work into it. Sure you may argue that. But you don't know whats going on behind the doors of the Madden Creators.. They haven't impeached EA from their NFL rights yet, so they must be doing something right. Even if the game isn't up to our standards.

Gamertag: Gaycandybacon Add me :D

Twitter: @Gaycandybacon
Old 08-08-2012, 01:11 AM   #30
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:

I don't take that as translating to the gameplay being a complete simulation. Madden will always have that "arcadey" aspect to it gameplay wise because it just applies to a larger customer base. The only people that want hardcore Sim football area minority. Do you think Madden's younger audience really cares that the gameplay doesn't completely replicate real life? Or even the casual players that just pick it up and play with their buddies on occasion?
Here is just a few statements made by various developers for next-gen Madden over the years.

David Ortiz- "With the advent of Next-Gen technology and our partnership with the NFL, we are able to bring to life the most realistic professional football experience possible. In Madden NFL 07, you will now be immersed like never before. While you are on the line, you will hear actual NFL players’ voices, celebrating and calling plays while their actions on the field are exactly as they are in a real game. Graphically, we have drastically increased detail of the players and the stadiums. Just as an example, you will now see the individual blades of grass on the field, as it slowly degrades, depending on where the action on the field is occurring. These are just a couple things that would have never been possible without the new hardware. This is an exciting time for the Madden franchise because the hardware is young and as we continue to learn more about it we will continue to make Madden truly the most realistic sports game, ever created." http://www.gamezone.com/editorials/m...z-phil-frazier

Ian Cummings- "The goal at the end of the day is a realistic simulation that gives you the feeling where every play feels dynamic and different with fresh animations and realistic reactions. You guys shouldn't have to worry about what technologies need to be used to get there - you should just know that end goal." Can't we all just get along?

Phil Frazier- "There are a couple of games that I draw inspiration from. First is within our label – FIFA. They have worked over the years to provide an amazing core football (soccer) experience and that focus has helped them to become the #1 selling sports title on the planet. Their core gameplay engine is amazing and provides an incredibly fun experience each and every year. I hope to be able to provide a core experience as polished as theirs in the coming years as we continue to refine our engine and eliminate problem areas." http://gomadden.com/news/footballgam...features-more/

Cam Weber- "First and foremost, we need to deliver an amazing simulation football gameplay experience on both of our franchises. In other words, our fans want to see fluid, realistic player movement and deep football AI and behaviors on the field. This includes what players are doing between the whistles in the middle of a play, and how they behave in our pre- and post-play moments as well." http://www.operationsports.com/featu...-gm-cam-weber/

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
There is nothing 2k5, 2k8, or any other sports game has ever done that the existing "engine" in Madden can't accomplish. We simply have to get around too it. It takes time. I am not coping out here, I've only been with EA for 2 months, and before that I was on these forums saying the exact same thing. Since that time, I've dealt with a lot of people on the gameplay team and on the Madden specific team, and there's plenty of room for improvement, but we're getting there, one piece at a time.
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2042180703

Victor Lugo- “To not have an element that another game has gives people the right to complain, but I think at this point we have a lot of stuff that our competitors have had, and right now, we’re just concentrating on expanding ‘Madden’ and making the best simulation football we can,” Lugo adds. http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/tec...-engine-kinect
Old 08-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #31
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetCarp
About the accelerated clock: Would you rather the playbooks be harder to use?
Good point. A big reason for the disparity between time in Madden and in the NFL is the time required to call a play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #32
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Just to talk about the accelerated clock... that's actually a simulation feature. In real life it takes time to get the play call and personnel in to the huddle and ready to go. Accelerated clock is designed to simulate the time it takes to accomplish all of this so we can also play full 15min quarter games in a reasonable amount of time.

Now, Madden has a long way to go, but accelerated clock is actually one of the good things about the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »