Home

First Review 7.5/10

This is a discussion on First Review 7.5/10 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #257
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: First Review 7.5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
Wait a minute, I thought she was a writer for Xbox magazine? How did she review the PS3 exclusive The Show? Are you sure it wasn't 2k's baseball game?

I'll try and find the review
She's a freelance writer.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #258
Banned

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
She's a freelance writer.
Thanks for the info

Just found the MLB Review after a little looking...

http://www.gamesradar.com/mlb-12-the-show-review/

Sounds like she thought that the game wasn't a big jump from MLB The Show 11. She gave it a 3.5 out of 5.

Last edited by wheelman990; 08-11-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #259
Rookie

jvaughn31's Arena

OVR: 0

For people thinking that this review is not legit you can check her twitter. She says that "her review is making the rounds" on Aug 9. The review might not be good (we won't know until we play) but it is real.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #260
Rookie

OVR: 6

Wow if she gave this and Mlb 12 the show similar scores.. Then i'm extremely excited for this game, should be close to perfect because the show is.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #261
Rookie

KensaiKatai's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Thanks for the info

Sounds like she thought that the game wasn't a big jump from MLB The Show 11. She gave it a 3.5 out of 5.
I've loved the show, one of the best sports games ever and I've had it every year that it's been released on the PS3. I actually agree with this review and the reasoning behind it. The show did not make big leaps the last couple years. It stayed in my shelf a lot more than it ever has this year.

If Madden doesn't make a big leap this year then it is in trouble. If that is her reasoning for the 7.5 then it's justified imo. It might even be generous. It's just one person's opinion though and this is just my opinion. Some may play it and love it. People act like 7.5 is the same thing as a 5.0 though and that isn't the case. It seems a lot of people WANT this game to be great and I hope that doesn't get in the way of being objective about it's quality on a general level. I'm tired of complacency from developers for what we shell out year in and year out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #262
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Thanks for the info

No mention of the new physics that made all the difference in the world and made it a "whole new ballgame"..
"Review" was pathetic at best

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

Last edited by Skyboxer; 08-12-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #263
Banned

OVR: 0
Because we'll never know how good the game is until IGN says they always know what they're talking about O__o

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #264
Rookie

OVR: 2

Tradition says we assign a grade to our video games at the end of a review. For sports games, especially at this point, assigning a grade makes little sense.

With a new game coming out every year, like clock work, there are really only two questions a reviewer could ask:

1. Are we getting the best simulation of this sport that we could possibly hope for given the limitations of the console/PC?

2. Is this the best simulation of this sport I've ever played?

The first questions is a difficult one to answer at this stage. Simply put, the consoles are nearly a decade old. Reasonable people can disagree, but we're probably getting the best simulation we can on these consoles.

The second question is probably easier to answer because each year gives us the best football/basketball/baseball game we've ever played. Now, people may say things like, NCAA Football 2011 was the best version of the game ever and NCAA Football 13 isn't as good. I think that's absurd. NCAA Football 13 is better than NCAA football 11. NCAA Football 13 may not live up to your expectations of what a college football game should be at this moment in the console's life cycle. It may not be as drastic of an improvement over NCAA 2011 and NCAA 2012 as you may have hoped for... but it's the best college football game you've ever played. Same goes for the Show 12, Fifa 12 (or PES 12 if you prefer), NBA 2k12, etc. And it will be true for Madden 2013.

So, the real questions for reviewers is, what are you reviewing? The Show has been cited in this discussion. Well, the Show still has a fundamentally broken franchise mode. But, the new ball physics has drastically improved the game play. But the graphics look the same. Well, the graphics are about the very best you could do given console limitations. I guess, I'll give it a C+. How does one come to that conclusion? Who knows. Is the Show the best simulation you could hope for with this console? Probably. Is it the best baseball game you've ever played? Almost certainly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »