Home

How do you set up game times in online franchise?

This is a discussion on How do you set up game times in online franchise? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Rookie

RightWingPigeons's Arena

OVR: 6
How do you set up game times in online franchise?

I'm really sorry if this is a terribly stupid post and I'm coming off as a total newb (and if it's too terrible, I'd really appreciate I warning instead of a ban for wasting people's time as it's not intentional). I've really looked everywhere and haven't been able to figure this one out though... And since I haven't owned a Madden game since Madden 10, this is really a new concept to me that I'm looking forward to with Madden 13 which I just preordered.

I understand how the weeks progress and everything else, but how do you usually set up the time to play your game? Do you usually message your opponent and see what day/time works for them or do you just have to keep checking until they're online? Also, are leagues ever set up where games in the morning/afternoon/evening are preferred? My concern is that I work a night job, and that I'll end up joining a league where everyone always wants to play in the evenings. My wife is also going to be having a baby in September, so are most leagues pretty relaxed on allowing a computer controlled week or two in instances like that? I guess I'm really just looking for general ideas of etiquette when it comes to this stuff. I really want to compete in a franchise mode, but only if I can do it in the right way.

Sorry again if this is a totally stupid post. Just very excited to get back into Madden and enjoy all the features after a long dormancy period.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
Rookie

RightWingPigeons's Arena

Re: How do you set up game times in online franchise?

Really and help at all would be greatly appreciated. My friends who play video games refuse to play Madden so I'm definitely going to have to enter a league with people I don't know. In Madden 12 are there descriptions of the league other than the settings it's being played under? Like I said in my original post, my big fear is joining a league where nobody will want to play me in the mornings which is usually my only opportunity to play. I'm really excited to get back into the game and catch up on everything that has changed since 10 and just want to avoid angering anyone while I catch up to speed on the etiquette of online play.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
MVP

The league(s) I run all use text messaging to get in contact with our opponents, or by being in the league chat daily.

There are a multitude of ways which vary league by league, but I've found the way my league does it to be fairly common amongst most leagues I've been in.

Other options include:

PSN (as u said)
Twitter
Facebook
phone calls
ip tracking followed by a knock on their door (not recommended)
Old 08-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
Tradition Sports Online

RynoAid's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightWingPigeons
I'm really sorry if this is a terribly stupid post and I'm coming off as a total newb (and if it's too terrible, I'd really appreciate I warning instead of a ban for wasting people's time as it's not intentional). I've really looked everywhere and haven't been able to figure this one out though... And since I haven't owned a Madden game since Madden 10, this is really a new concept to me that I'm looking forward to with Madden 13 which I just preordered.

I understand how the weeks progress and everything else, but how do you usually set up the time to play your game? Do you usually message your opponent and see what day/time works for them or do you just have to keep checking until they're online? Also, are leagues ever set up where games in the morning/afternoon/evening are preferred? My concern is that I work a night job, and that I'll end up joining a league where everyone always wants to play in the evenings. My wife is also going to be having a baby in September, so are most leagues pretty relaxed on allowing a computer controlled week or two in instances like that? I guess I'm really just looking for general ideas of etiquette when it comes to this stuff. I really want to compete in a franchise mode, but only if I can do it in the right way.

Sorry again if this is a totally stupid post. Just very excited to get back into Madden and enjoy all the features after a long dormancy period.
I hear you man, it's tough to wrap your arms around being in a league if you have never done it before.

It's actually a lot more straight forward than you think. First thing is to find a good, solid league that has the community and tools to stay viable all year round. Nothing worse than putting in time and effort into a league only to watch it crumble because of inactivity or poor leadership.

Once you find that community, you will utilize forums and XBL or PSN to schedule your games. If you find the right kind of league you will find that a lot of guys are in your boat.. working, married, etc.... Most guys do tend to play in the evening times though, so make sure you let the leadership of a league know the challenges of your schedule first.

If you find a large enough site, you will find others like yourself that work odd hours and should be able to find a league. Don't get discouraged before you even try though... give it a go.

TAKING APPLICATIONS NOW FOR CCM LEAGUES
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/rynoaid
Old 08-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
Rookie

RightWingPigeons's Arena

Awesome man, thanks for the help.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
Rookie

RightWingPigeons's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoAid
I hear you man, it's tough to wrap your arms around being in a league if you have never done it before.

It's actually a lot more straight forward than you think. First thing is to find a good, solid league that has the community and tools to stay viable all year round. Nothing worse than putting in time and effort into a league only to watch it crumble because of inactivity or poor leadership.

Once you find that community, you will utilize forums and XBL or PSN to schedule your games. If you find the right kind of league you will find that a lot of guys are in your boat.. working, married, etc.... Most guys do tend to play in the evening times though, so make sure you let the leadership of a league know the challenges of your schedule first.

If you find a large enough site, you will find others like yourself that work odd hours and should be able to find a league. Don't get discouraged before you even try though... give it a go.

Good to know. Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it. I had almost talked myself out of doing it, but I think it will be worth it as long as I find the right group of players. Man, if they would have had this kind of stuff when I was a kid I never would have left the house. Hell, even with Tecmo football it was hard to get me and my friends out of the room and outside. I really do thank you though for boosting my enthusiasm back up. I mean, I was excited as it was to just get an updated Madden, but all these online features are just insane to me. My only hope now is that my abilities haven't suffered too much from not playing since 10 (still using that sprint button lol).
Old 08-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

for my league when i play someone all owners that play another person first send a message to the oppent on xbox live and no answer they can post on forum

without a forum u have owners saying they both tried get game in but no prove
so with a forum it shows me who actually try get there game in and this
help make decision if i should extend the due date etc

ea new connected careers should have a fourm when it comes out
even i don't use it and with a forum u know the rules for the league
cause u got a sim league and freestyle/tourment style league

free style like have very few rules and sim league each sim league is different
on rules like when u can go for it on 4th down to where u can move rosters on depth chart etc

if you find a good league it can be a lot fun
if you u find a wrong one can be a bad expence and best slotion to find a league that fit your style of play and find a league where owners are relax

good luck finding the right league for yourself
Old 08-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0
Usually I go through and send everyone of my opponents a friend request. Soon as it's time for our game ill begin communication on a good day and time for us to connect.

Xbox has an android app now which makes connecting on the go much easier. So now I can check my messages without being online or near a computer.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »