Home

What is speed threshold?

This is a discussion on What is speed threshold? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #9
Banned

Ninjas N Grits's Arena

OVR: 3
I can notice a big difference at 15 vs 50. I also notice it seems to affect coverage skills too. You get more separation from speedy WRs at a lower setting.

****Everybody knows Jackie Robinson was #42****
Old 08-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: What is speed threshold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keebsiek
Here is a youtube video regarding threshold for Madden '10. I doubt threshold has changed since '10.

Skip to 2:13 for the definition of "threshold".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySiFqu3aXBg
thx man, vid helps but now I wonder does it only affect pass plays like in da vid?
Old 08-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBuilder
Which is why you'll see some OS users (like me) who set speed threshold to zero. Then you won't have linemen with 75 speed catching Devin Hester on a breakaway
Oh, these exaggerations! When you have a lineman with 75 speed catch Devin Hester in the open field, please share that footage .

As others have confirmed, speed threshold was introduced in M10 as a way for speed to NOT be the end all be all in Madden. The idea was that the higher the threshold, the less difference there would be between faster & slower players in the game. That doesn't mean Chris Johnson is all of a sudden slow, or that Hester can't run past anybody. Rather, it means that the pursuing defenders won't be running in mud 40 yards behind the ball carrier. It means that you can't just take Felix Jones and abuse the defense with outside runs.

As unpopular as it may be, I contend that the higher threshold creates more realistic gameplay. Even when the M10 blog came out introducing speed threshold, there was a chart suggesting that higher settings best represented 40 times. Not that 40 times are indicative of how a player performs in pads, but you catch my drift.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woo_Zam
thx man, vid helps but now I wonder does it only affect pass plays like in da vid?
I think this will affect speed in all areas of the game. A zero threshold may be too great and too easy to run back kicks and create separation. I'll play a few more games with the demo with threshold set to 15 and see what I find.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by keebsiek
I think this will affect speed in all areas of the game. A zero threshold may be too great and too easy to run back kicks and create separation. I'll play a few more games with the demo with threshold set to 15 and see what I find.
cool, I may use 15 in Madden 13 or 25 as usual seeing dat in CCM being a balanced hb my speed won't be elite 2 start out
Old 08-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
Rookie

bucknut88's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBuilder
When speed threshold is set to a lower number, you'll see a bigger difference between fast and slow players.

Which is why you'll see some OS users (like me) who set speed threshold to zero. Then you won't have linemen with 75 speed catching Devin Hester on a breakaway
absolutely correct. I also, always set it to 0. And then go after fast players
Old 08-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #15
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles36
Oh, these exaggerations! When you have a lineman with 75 speed catch Devin Hester in the open field, please share that footage .

As others have confirmed, speed threshold was introduced in M10 as a way for speed to NOT be the end all be all in Madden. The idea was that the higher the threshold, the less difference there would be between faster & slower players in the game. That doesn't mean Chris Johnson is all of a sudden slow, or that Hester can't run past anybody. Rather, it means that the pursuing defenders won't be running in mud 40 yards behind the ball carrier. It means that you can't just take Felix Jones and abuse the defense with outside runs.

As unpopular as it may be, I contend that the higher threshold creates more realistic gameplay. Even when the M10 blog came out introducing speed threshold, there was a chart suggesting that higher settings best represented 40 times. Not that 40 times are indicative of how a player performs in pads, but you catch my drift.
Haha good point that does sound like an exaggeration Allow me to clarify... Assuming Devin Hester is already past defenders, he won't be caught. My issue with high threshold is on examples when Hester is running a straight line, and a d-lineman has 5 yards on Hester from the middle or other side of the field. The lineman will be able to traverse yardage at an angle, even though Hester is running in a straight line, and have a chance at making a tackle.

And though I certainly respect your opinion that a higher threshold offers more realistic gameplay, I do disagree. If DeSean Jackson is returning a kick and running beside a linebacker with an 79 speed rating, that linebacker stays on Jackson much longer than he should (in my opinion of course). I think 20 points (or 1/5 of a total speed rating) should be more significant.

DeSean Jackson can blow by corners, which means he should destroy linebackers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #16
I am Batmoose

MooseBoyJ's Arena

OVR: 6

I always set my threshold to 0. I want the fast fast and the slow slow.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »