Home

OS Roundtable: Madden NFL 13 Demo Impressions

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: Madden NFL 13 Demo Impressions within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #33
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: OS Roundtable: Madden NFL 13 Demo Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmallwood
Most definitely! BUT, These are things that should have been in the game or that were in the game that were removed. It still takes away from M13 immersion factor and the overall gameplay.
I didn't think "legacy issues" were part of the items missing from franchise mode, which hopefully that returns either via patches or next year.

I thought "legacy issues" were more along the lines of momentum, foot planting, OL/DL, etc... which is why I stated, we knew these weren't going to be in the game. We already eliminated the should have's, could have's by June 4th in both areas, actually.

Maybe it's just me, Big, but when I review a movie or music, I review what's in it, not what's not in it or would of's, could of's.

Again, that's me, though.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #34
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

[quote=BezO;2044015590]I'm curious what you mean by this. As long as you're pre-warned about what won't be fixed, you're OK with it? Or was o/d-line interaction, specifically, not a big deal to you?

/QUOTE]

What I mean, is that, as long as I'm pre-warned, I'm not surprised it's not in. Doesn't mean I don't think it's important to fix or needs a lot of improvement. It's very high on my list. And foot planting and momentum is next on my wishlist, but I knew it wasn't overhauled.

June 4th, we were told OL/DL was only tuned, not overhauled. Out of that statement, I wasn't expecting much improvement from 12 to 13.

Last edited by roadman; 08-16-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #35
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
Maybe I'm just becoming too soft in my old age (lol) but I definitely had fun and enjoyed the demo. Yeah, it's still Madden, but it's an improvement from previous years to me. I've had fun, and the big thing that was holding this series back in my eyes - presentation - is vastly improved.

The "it's still Madden" thing I don't get - people coming in expecting vast gameplay changes to any yearly sports game are only going to be disappointed. But this is a solid step in the right direction for the Madden team.
Yeah I don't expect too many earthshattering changes until the next gen consoles are released. Things like sideline models and challenge system being addressed are things they already have told us they aren't going to improve on this gen due to hardware limitations. The main things I would like to see in M14 though, if the new consoles aren't out yet, are a new player movement engine with footplanting,weight and momentum, improved blocking and o/d line interaction as well as a in-game ticker showing scores around the league in CCM and a studio halftime and weekly wrapup show, improved and more player specific commentary during play by play and replays, and have Jim and Phil come back on screen from time to time and at halftime to recap the first half and preview the 2nd.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #36
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I didn't think "legacy issues" were part of the items missing from franchise mode, which hopefully that returns either via patches or next year.

I thought "legacy issues" were more along the lines of momentum, foot planting, OL/DL, etc... which is why I stated, we knew these weren't going to be in the game. We already eliminated the should have's, could have's by June 4th in both areas, actually.

Maybe it's just me, Big, but when I review a movie or music, I review what's in it, not what's not in it or would of's, could of's.

Again, that's me, though.
True @Legacy issues. I'm only stating that they should be fixed by now. The real issue that keeps me from buying M13 is the lack of editing/customization that can be taken into CC/Franchise Mode. That includes roster changes, ratings, jersey #'s etc.

If they hand that control back over, it would be worth purchasing and tweaking some sliders to see how the game could play.....but without editing...I'm sitting out this year.

Legacy issues won't be fixed until next gen and I'm fine with that because next year we should see a real new next gen machine (sorry wii u)
Old 08-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #37
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
I've had fun, and the big thing that was holding this series back in my eyes - presentation - is vastly improved.
**offers virtual handshake**

Not enough of us seem to care about presentation anymore. Glad some still do .
Old 08-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #38
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

Honestly, the reviews are way off from my perspective (which in no way is better than anyones or the right one) but to me, this feels like a whole new madden.

From the very first time loading it up to now, it just feels so refreshed. I do not remember a Madden game being this smooth, and when I say smooth I mean the fluid of the game not really so much as the animations being perfect.

The IE does have flaws but as I said before, it is first run with physics in EA football.

To me, this is a no brainer buy for any NFL fan. (If not a fan of NFL maybe not so much, but to me NFL fans have to have their real football and virtual football and this is the best madden this gen IMO)
Old 08-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #39
Banned

StrawHat Patriot's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles36
**offers virtual handshake**

Not enough of us seem to care about presentation anymore. Glad some still do .
I guess the reason why is that we've had some presentation in past games; more importantly, the halftime show and postgame show are a joke.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #40
nxt
H**sm*n

nxt's Arena

OVR: 14

Played the game on Heisman, Slow Speed. It definitely "feels" better, but I'm still not totally sold. I just can't get over some of the tackling animations, and they funky stuff that goes on after the play. It totally disrupts the immersion factor. You really see how bad it is during the replays (which by the way are the worst ever - I hope these are fixed for retail). It doesn't even look like they are tackling/wrapping up; it looks more like they are falling on top of one another. And the ball carriers often get contorted in unrealistic ways with their arms knocked totally behind their backs, yet still holding on to the ball. They really need to tune the RTP and animations because as it stands, I'm seeing way to many weird/unrealistic things on the field.

From reading through this thread and others, it sounds like the RTP and animations have been cleaned up on retail version, but honestly, I haven't seen it yet. On the videos that I've seen of the retail version, the replays are always skipped or blocked by the play call screen.

Last edited by nxt; 08-16-2012 at 03:59 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »