Home

MOST UNREALISTIC/RARELY DISCUSSED ISSUE

This is a discussion on MOST UNREALISTIC/RARELY DISCUSSED ISSUE within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
MOST UNREALISTIC/RARELY DISCUSSED ISSUE

When you throw a pass your intended receiver should never be surrounded by four players who converge for a tackle. Who is covering the other receivers? This often happens in Madden and NCAA. It seems defensive players can abandon their receiver and run faster then a football flys to cover the intended receiver. At most a safety could join a double coverage of a WR but who throws into triple coverage? This is to me the most unrealistic feature in all of EA football games. Player speed and ball speed to scale must be worked on to fix this problem. Spread isn't effective when defensive players can cross the field and cover a different player once the ball is thrown.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: MOST UNREALISTIC/RARELY DISCUSSED ISSUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coach Mode
When you throw a pass your intended receiver should never be surrounded by four players who converge for a tackle. Who is covering the other receivers? This often happens in Madden and NCAA. It seems defensive players can abandon their receiver and run faster then a football flys to cover the intended receiver. At most a safety could join a double coverage of a WR but who throws into triple coverage? This is to me the most unrealistic feature in all of EA football games. Player speed and ball speed to scale must be worked on to fix this problem. Spread isn't effective when defensive players can cross the field and cover a different player once the ball is thrown.
I agree that what you stated is unrealistic, but I do not believe it is the most unrealistic feature in the game.

To me the most unrealistic feature in the game is that once a defender has his hands on a pass there is nothing you can do to make him drop it. On offense if you receiver gets hit harder enough, or at the right time, he will drop the pass. This is not the case with defenders. Once the hands touch the ball it is an automatic catch.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
Rookie

Your point is very good and also needs to be fixed, although not every receiver is in position to stop a DB pick especially on a bad throw. There would however be less picks for you to break up if your receiver wasn't suddenly double or triple covered after you threw the ball to him. Hopefully both issues will be eventually fixed.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
MVP

pokerplaya's Arena

OVR: 14

Ever watch Calvin Johnson run down the field? There is almost always 3 players in his general vicinity and NEVER less than two.

In a preseason game last week, I saw Randy Moss running with 4 men on an overthrown ball on SportsCenter.

Yes, absolutely unrealistic... lol
Old 09-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
MVP

pokerplaya's Arena

OVR: 14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCdCWB1LM

Not sure how to imed a youtube link here, but that's a great video of Calvin and converging DBs....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
Rookie

Good video although unlike EA football games the three defenders were near Johnson on the delayed lob pass, they didn't come from across the field or from previously covering another player before Johnson. As I said three defenders on a WR does happen in real games like in your video. That doesn't negate the fact defenders in Madden/NCAA auto leave who they are covering and run faster then humanly possible to engage another receiver after the ball is thrown to him which isn't realistic.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10

This is adequately resolvable with sliders, that's why it not discussed more.

The other issue is that you need it to a slight extent to make the game playable. If coverage was true to life you should never have an incomplete pass playing with the god camera
Old 09-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coach Mode
Good video although unlike EA football games the three defenders were near Johnson on the delayed lob pass, they didn't come from across the field or from previously covering another player before Johnson. As I said three defenders on a WR does happen in real games like in your video. That doesn't negate the fact defenders in Madden/NCAA auto leave who they are covering and run faster then humanly possible to engage another receiver after the ball is thrown to him which isn't realistic.
Totally agree with you. Most of the time, it's painfully obvious that all the Defensive players move towards the ball after it leaves the QB's hands. In replay, you can see this in slow motion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »