Home

Draft Scouting

This is a discussion on Draft Scouting within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #57
MVP

Tweeg's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Draft Scouting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry
Wow 15 guys? Well nevermind everything I just said then...

They made it more difficult by getting rid of the predetermined classes, and not allowing you to sort by potential. You can completely scout 50-60 players, and still barely find any of the gems. How finding out 4 or 5 ratings on 15 players could possibly be considered scouting is beyond me. No, going into a draft with basically no information is not fun to me.
Going into a draft and knowing what everyone is rated sounds like way less fun to me.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #58
MVP

OVR: 9

I like the new scouting but we should have combine numbers to go off of. The fact that we have no idea of how strong or fast someone is without unlocking it is dumb.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #59
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauler97
I like the new scouting but we should have combine numbers to go off of. The fact that we have no idea of how strong or fast someone is without unlocking it is dumb.
I agree with that. We should know basic stuff.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #60
Rookie

PioneerRaptor's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieMowf
I agree with that. We should know basic stuff.
I also agree. Anything that is tested at the Combine should be known.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #61
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeg
Going into a draft and knowing what everyone is rated sounds like way less fun to me.
50 or 60 players is everybody? There's 250+ players in the classes, and plenty of sleepers. You won't find out who every good player is. And i'm not asking to know every single rating on those players, but unlocking 4or5 attributes for 15 people is basically pointless. We should have a letter grade approximation for everyone, and then use the points to find out exact ratings on a certain number of players.

Last edited by Tackleberry; 08-26-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #62
Rookie

OVR: 1

I don't have the game yet, so I'll withhold judgement. From what I've read it seems like things are moving in the right direction with CCM though.

Here are some things I've always wanted to see in Madden scouting/drafting.
1. Full Combine results. It's a bit silly that we can't review everybody's physical attributes and Wonderlic results to get a general sense of how the player will turn out.
2. Scout grade approximations. Your scouts should have very general notes/grades on every or most players. As you spend more time scouting them, the grade gets more accurate. Also, the skill level of your scouting staff should determine how accurate the scouting reports and how often they "hit" on gems.
3. More busts. These would be guys who have all the physical tools (ratings) to seem worthy of a high pick, but once they get to the NFL just can't handle it. I know it'd suck to draft a dud, but it happens in real life. Right now, if you can unlock enough of the ratings, you a player is going to be good. That doesn't happen in real life. Maybe your scouting skill will determine how good they are at identifying potential busts.
4. Also, maybe we could have some "character" concerns for some players. So for some players, they'll fall in the draft due to character issues. They become riskier on how they progress. You could get a steal, or you could get a guy that somehow hurts team chemistry and lowers his teammates ratings.

Just some ideas...
Old 08-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #63
Rookie

TomBrady's Arena

OVR: 5

In future maddens I really hope combine numbers and basic reports should be unlocked by deafult at the end of the season. Kinda like the ones the people at draftcountdown write. For example:

Quote:
Isaiah Pead
Running Back | Cincinnati | SR
Height: 5-10⅛ | Weight: 197 | 40-Time: 4.47

Strengths:
• Top notch athletic ability
• Great change of direction ability
• Polished as a receiver out of the back field
• Above average vision to find holes
• Shown ability as a return man

Weaknesses:
• Rarely decides to run up the middle
• Frail frame could lead to injuries
• Gets eaten alive rushing between tackles
• Very little upside as a blocker

Injury History:
• Missed 2 games in 2010 with a left knee bruise
• Limited early in 2011 due to hamstring issues

Notes:
Big East Offensive Player of the Year in 2011 -- 2011 Liberty Bowl MVP -- 2012 Senior Bowl MVP -- Outside runner with upside as a pass catcher and blocker.

NFL Player Comparison: Mewelde Moore
Maybe even simpler reports than that. Just to give you an idea of what kind of players they are. Just some basic info that even a normal fan would know after watching the players play.

The current Madden scouting is very arcady. Instead of learning that a receiver has lets say 72 in catching, 94 in speed, and 80 acceleration, you should be told that he has amazing top speed, but takes some time to reach it and has questionable hands. Reports should also be wrong sometimes. A guy that is said to have great hands, doesnt have to have a good rating in catching. Scouts are wrong all the time, and learning exactly how good deep accuracy a QB has really ruins the realism. According to most scouts, AJ Green had average accleration and lacked elite speed, and would not be a deep threat. Try telling that to Asante Samuel.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #64
Pro

scottyo60's Arena

OVR: 9

How about eleminate finding out numbers and create the system where there is notes and approximations as to what the players are? Like a real scouting system! I just got done reading a book on the Patriots, Falcons and Chiefs scouting and this is no where close to what scouting is.

Maybe make notes like
+leadership on field
+track speed translates to field
+big hitter
+quick hips
+sure tackler....... Then from there the ratings represent what happens from the notes.

Or negatives
-looks mechanical in movements
-thinks too much, not fast reaction (maybe lowers awareness, but can also raise play recognition some)
-maxed out potential
-gets beat trying to press

Then go from there. You don't have to use xp and you'll get a realistic scouting to a degree. I've never been a fan of finding out numbers or even the old way where you could see the attributes from that hexagon thing they had. Just keep it as notes with a national scout and four regional scouts. Wouldn't be all that tedious and builds depth to the season.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »