Home

How is connected careers any different?

This is a discussion on How is connected careers any different? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
How is connected careers any different?

Im not being sarcastic here, just curious. I believe EA hyped the game saying that Connected Careers would be a deep experience and totally different. How is Connected Careers different from Franchise, Superstar and Online modes from previous Maddens? Other than all being on one page.

I thought it would be something along the lines of using your offline franchises online or something. Or at least the settings would apply across the board.

With all the bugs and issues people have mentioned this supposed patch coming soon "should" be huge. Might have to clear some memory! But I have a feeling it will mainly focus on the online component.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
Banned

dingleberryfinn's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: How is connected careers any different?

They made it different by decidin' to tick off a whole new segment of their customer base.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
MVP

Champion8877's Arena

OVR: 14

It is very different actually. It is just a much deeper experience with story lines, XP, better scouting, progressing players through play instead of potential, etc. The list goes on, it is like franchise mode with RPG aspects added in. I personally love it and it is already better than franchise in my opinion, even with a few bugs.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayb
Im not being sarcastic here, just curious. I believe EA hyped the game saying that Connected Careers would be a deep experience and totally different. How is Connected Careers different from Franchise, Superstar and Online modes from previous Maddens? Other than all being on one page.

I thought it would be something along the lines of using your offline franchises online or something. Or at least the settings would apply across the board.

With all the bugs and issues people have mentioned this supposed patch coming soon "should" be huge. Might have to clear some memory! But I have a feeling it will mainly focus on the online component.
It's not really any different.

They removed a lot of basic, fundamental features under the guise of some all new depth that's never before been seen. But it's not.

Twitter feeds are just a glorified version of NFL 2k5's ESPN halftime and weekly wrap up shows, NBA 2K's NBA.com news page, or past gen Madden's Tony Bruno Show and newspapers. Not only that, but they are often times inaccurate (Jim Harbaugh fired for a "lack of wins"???), or contradict each other (in another CC where I created a head coach to replace Harbaugh, one tweet said he got fired for locker room issues, while the very next storyline was about Harbaugh's chances going into year 2...), and are entirely too scripted (the same roster moves happen every year: McNabb goes to the Browns, James Farrior goes to the Panthers, Jeremy Shockey goes to the Raiders, Marcus Trufant gets traded to the Texans, Pierre Thomas gets traded to the Buccaneers, Terrell Owens gets released from the Seahawks, Texans sign Plaxico Burress). The storylines are so scripted that the CPU even starts taking control of my roster to try to make their storylines play out. As the 49ers, Delanie Walker is automatically placed on my trading block, and when I try to remove him from the trading block, the CPU puts him right back on it, trying to get me to trade him so they can continue their scripted stories.

Schemes are only a representation of implementing your own strategies and philosophies, while in the meantime we lost custom playbooks that actually were implementing your own schemes and philosophies.

There's some cool things in Connected Careers to be sure, but there's nothing innovative about it. It's not deeper. In fact I'd say it's far less deeper than ever before. It's just shinier.

Last edited by Franchise408; 09-03-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

It's different in great ways. The player progression is loads better, which is a huge deal to me as an offline franchise player. You can actually customize what attributes guys get better in (even speed), but it seems balanced in that 1 point in speed will cost you a lot of points you could have used in other attributes - the point though is that you get to choose.

The scouting and drafting is also awesome compared to recent attempts. I've been playing a multiplayer franchise with a friend and we never end up wanting the same guys in the draft. There are late round steals, good undrafted FA, trading down is easy if you don't want a guy at your pick...

A lot of people are upset that you can't customize anything. Beyond wanting to move a fast MLB to OLB or moving a fast DT to LE, or even RG to LG or RT to LT, I don't really have a big problem with that.

I've been hating madden since 2005 as an offline franchise player, and this has me saying "FINALLY!"
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »