Home

Draft Scouting Strategy

This is a discussion on Draft Scouting Strategy within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #73
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Draft Scouting Strategy

So, if you don't choose to scout in a particular week the points roll over?

If that's the case, I'm storing them up...

Confirmation?

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #74
MVP

Obnoxious's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV2k3
So, if you don't choose to scout in a particular week the points roll over?

If that's the case, I'm storing them up...

Confirmation?

Thanks!
It all saves up to I believe 34-36,000 in the off-season. Online that is. Offline is like 22-24,000. Can't remember exact numbers.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #75
Rookie

OVR: 0

Do scouting points roll over from year to year like player xp? Or should I use all my scouting points i accumulate in a year?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #76
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsingh877
Do scouting points roll over from year to year like player xp? Or should I use all my scouting points i accumulate in a year?
I've never seen scouting points roll over to the next year. They do, of course, roll over week to week. You have until Stage #7 of the off season to use them. Stage #8 is the draft and your points and ability to scout will be gone at that stage.

You receive 2,000pts per week, or 3,000pts if you purchase the Expert Scouting Package. You are also given an extra 1,000pts per week in a few of the off season stages.

-rdm

Last edited by rdm1800; 09-19-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #77
Pro

gamemaster-2005's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
Last night I had the draft of a lifetime by following the same principles mentioned in previous posts I've made. The key starting point is AWR. I don't touch a guy if he isn't at least a "C" in awareness. It's 25 pts to unlock the letter grade and another 100 to unlock the exact number, yet it's the most crucial to finding a guy with a high OVR.

This is the best way to find a "gem" or a late-round diamond or whatever you want to call it.

Another key thing to remember. The CPU knows about these gems as well. Most of the guys below who I took in the 3rd - 5th rounds were projected to go 1 to 2 rounds later. In the past I tried to steal them in the projected round but the CPU ALWAYS...and I mean ALWAYS takes them within 5 picks before I'm about to. It's as if they know something is up. So I've just started taking them a round or two early, and I don't care because I know their ratings are going to be so high it's worth it.

Anyways, here's the best I've put together so far:

Rd 1 - QB (76)
Rd 2 - DT (83)
Rd 2 - RT (74)
Rd 3 - C (86)
Rd 3 - DE (82)
Rd 4 - CB (83)
Rd 5 - HB (83)
Rd 6 - CB (72)
That's a hell of a draft
Old 10-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #78
Just started!

OVR: 0

Something I can't figure out is when you have your 2 minutes to pick players during the draft, you can't view all the attributes you scouted during the season, it's a more limited list.

Am I missing something here? I'm new to these forums so feel free to link me to an explanation if it's been covered off already but this is driving me nuts!

Cheers
Old 10-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #79
Rookie

JRT2006's Arena

OVR: 5

I've built a spreadsheet to help me decide who will fit my team. It grades prospects and current team members (for offseason cuts) by averaging skill rating, some with a heavier weight on the overall then the others. For instance, I favor agile WR with good route running. those skills make up 20% each of the overall grade. My Strategy goes as follows:

1) Position Specific Skills - if I'm scouting WRs and I favor agile WR's with good route running. I scout all agility and route ratings. Same goes with other positions I scout.

2) The players with the higher agility and route running, I then scout Scheme.

Throughout the season I find my favorite players based on specific position skills that fit my scheme. During the offseason I use the points to scout the rest of the important skills (those with 10% and 15% weights on my spreadsheets overall grade). Any extra points I have a scout schemes with.

I'm a spreadsheet guy, I use it to cut my players in offseason, rank my big board in the draft, and set my depth charts. I have lower rated overall players starting over higher overall players because according to my spreadsheet, the skills i favor for that position, they excel in, even though the rest of the "not so important skills" they don't. Its worked pretty well for me so far.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #80
Pro

ajk49er's Arena

OVR: 2

wish the cpu had a spreadsheet strategy.

most frustrating thing in the world to play a season, watch chandler jones(example) put up droy stats with 10 sacks 70 plus tackles, only to sit on the bench in year 2 for the likes of ropati pitoitua. is ropati rated higher? yes(although the new rating system should have booted chandler jones more than 1 freaking point for the year he had) but still, spreadsheet wise, it wouldnt be close!

grr

I just scout awareness on every single player. then go from there. WR's I want high spec catch, jumping, as they are hard to progress at high levels. DL I want a guy who has insane physical skills, the rest is easy to move up. LB I look at awareness followed by player type.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »