Home

Draft Scouting Strategy

This is a discussion on Draft Scouting Strategy within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #81
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Draft Scouting Strategy

my limited experience is this. scheme means nothing but player type does. injury is usually more expensive to improve than toughness.

for ol i check letter ? for rbk pbk ibl awr or int to start
for qb awr thp sac mac dac pa tor or int
for wr/tes its catch/rte/cit/release or int
for hbs/fb its the obvious ones but that gets expensive so int

and so it goes on but if inj is low then thats a red flag and i mean C?, if its a player i really like ill narrow that down but low inj is out for me.

frankly spd/acc/agi/jmp/str/inj should be provided free at the combine. they dont necessarily have to be spot on and thats when you look at that stat separately. all combine attendess have a medical so why do i spend points on finding a number out?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #82
Just started!

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggaberto
Something I can't figure out is when you have your 2 minutes to pick players during the draft, you can't view all the attributes you scouted during the season, it's a more limited list.

Am I missing something here? I'm new to these forums so feel free to link me to an explanation if it's been covered off already but this is driving me nuts!

Cheers
I have this same question. I scout all these attributes, then I get the draft and I can't see them? Hope I'm just missing something.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #83
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattylumps
I have this same question. I scout all these attributes, then I get the draft and I can't see them? Hope I'm just missing something.
You have to view by position. If you view by all players, only a few attributes show up.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #84
Just started!

Thanks pbni508.

I was hoping it was something simple that I was missing.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #85
Pro

OVR: 9

Haven't gotten to my first draft yet, what does the "intangible" rating mean? Is that somehow tied to development. I try to be realistic and not scout development as I don't feel like every nfl team knows they're getting a potential superstar in the 4th round.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #86
Rookie

nolan887's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj9949
Haven't gotten to my first draft yet, what does the "intangible" rating mean? Is that somehow tied to development. I try to be realistic and not scout development as I don't feel like every nfl team knows they're getting a potential superstar in the 4th round.
It has nothing to do with development, it is a lump stat of the stats that are important for the player type. For example, a power RB intangible would look at strength, ball carrier vision, and trucking, while a speed backs intangible looks at his speed, acceleration, and agility. It is a very good stat to scout first to give you an idea of whether or not you want to scout the stats that will matter
Old 12-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #87
Pew
Rookie

I almost always scout speed first, on everyone but O-linemen, then check their skill ratings. Scouting past letter grade is a waste of points, you're only going to be +/- 5 points; a general idea is fine; you're going to be improving them anyway.

A grade = 90+, and then it drops by 5-10 for each letter below that as far as I'm concerned. I rarely draft anyone with lower than a B in their important skill areas. For each position I have a few skills that need to be A/B for me to consider; especially if they're a high pick. LBs need at least B Speed with A/B Hit Power and Awareness, CBs need A Speed, with A/B in both coverages, F/SS need A Speed with B Zone Coverage and B+ Hit Power. WR's; B+ Speed, Catch and CIT. Pretty simple really. And you never really need to check DEV, because in most of the lower rounds; you can tell by their Awareness grade what DEV they have.

Oh and scouting scheme/player type is stupid when you can easily tell from their skills too.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #88
Pro

Cory Levy's Arena

My scouting strategy is as follows:

1. Wait until three weeks or so before the Draft Event in the Offseason to begin scouting (unless there's a story line player I want to check out - although those are the guys you should wait to scout due to the possibility they'll drop in stats due to an event).

2. I make a list of positions that my team needs from the Draft.

3. I go through the most important positions that I need to fill and start by only scouting the Intangible ratings for players at these positions. The higher the Intangible rating, the better the player is going to be. I've never seen a draftee with an 'A' rating in the game and there's only two or three 'B' Intangible rated players for each position in each draft if that.

4. Any player at a position of need with a 'B' Intangible becomes an instant target. For 'C' Intangible players, I'll scout their Physical and... Durability ratings, I think (whichever one is directly to the left of the Physical rating). These will give a good indication of how to rank the draftees on the 'C' Intangible level. I don't draft players with lower than a 'C' Intangible Rating unless I'm in the last two rounds and have just run out of prospects I want.

5. I'll use the points I have left over to scout position specific attributes to ensure the players I'm targeting are as good as the three above stats say.

6. Make a list of all the players I want in order of where they'll fall. I'll usually check off one guy per round that I definitely want. Enter the draft and I'll try to take my guys as early as possible, mostly an entire round before they're supposed to go.

Using the Intangible method it's really easy to find the great players in the draft year after year without spending a lot of scouting points.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »