Home

Justin Blackmon development rating...

This is a discussion on Justin Blackmon development rating... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #49
MVP

sniperhare's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Justin Blackmon development rating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by howemj192
Overall is a flawed, imperfect system. Add in how much scheme plays into it in CCM and you basically have to throw it out the window. Jones' base rating I believe is 75 (if you look outside of CCM) so he's not really underrated from that. Its just that what the game defaults the Patriots RE scheme to be Madden doesn't think he's a great fit. If you want his OVR to bump up you can manually change the scheme to something that fits Jones better. I realize that at the moment the scheme doesn't save, but I'm assuming thats a first or second patch fix from EA.

All sorts of complaints on here about CCM, but even with all of its flaws Madden 13 is by far the best next-gen Madden game (still would take franchise mode in Madden 08 on original Xbox over anything, but oh well). I told myself I wouldn't buy Madden last year and a friend convinced me it was great. Turned on franchise mode and hated myself for throwing $60 down the drain. I told myself I would never buy Madden again. When I heard about CCM I got suckered in again and I don't regret spending the money even for a second.
Schemes do save, you just need to be in an online CCM.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #50
Pro

OVR: 2

To me, Blackmon's ceiling is Anquan Boldin. Which at his best I saw as a 90. The point is we don't know. Why should there be set in stone dev ratings for first second or third year players. Progression does not take into account the possibility of different career arcs. Running backs often only last five years. But yet by having the career arcs that are in this game it will be year three before they are any good and will nearly always last more then five years. Wide Receivers have widely varying career arcs. I don't know if a full league scouting system is possible in this game, but if it is I sure wish they'd switch to it.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #51
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFCastle
Michael Crabtree.

Just because a guy is expected to be good doesn't mean he will be a stud right away...if at all.
Wow, they are exactly the same... Slow, struggle to get separation, possession receiver, hold out on rookie contract, off the field issues, on a team with a bad QB (Smith isn't so bad anymore, you get my point)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #52
Pro

OVR: 2

I'm wondering how u could take so much offense to this. The development team at EA just didn't think he'd be a star receiver. At least not right away. Remember those receivers the lions drafted in the 1st round a few years back? I think it was Charles Rodgers and Roy Williams. Rodgers had a lil success his first year but was never heard from again and Roy Williams showed flashes his first couple seasons but was very inconsistent and isn't even in the NFL anymore. It's not guaranteed man so just calm down
Old 09-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #53
Madden & NBA 2K fanatic

Joobieo's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow218
Wow, they are exactly the same... Slow, struggle to get separation, possession receiver, hold out on rookie contract, off the field issues, on a team with a bad QB (Smith isn't so bad anymore, you get my point)
I agree with this post 100%.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #54
MVP

pokerplaya's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfan89
Everything I've read on him has said that he has been impressive, and that has translated onto the field during the preseason. I don't see countless reports as you claim that say he is struggling.

Even if there were, so you mean to tell me he came in and played like a rookie? Crazy.

You also mean to tell me that despite scouting, tape, testing, and on field production that all had him projected to be a star, that he is now just a normal receiver for his projections because of one or two bad practices? Which again, every report from the preseason has talked about his great he has been.

Finally, I'm a Bucs fan, I hate the Jags. I just would like to be able to use Justin Blackmon in the game and not have him be an average receiver for his career. Especially when that is inconsistent with other ratings, and expectations.
Just wondering how much pre-draft info, like the combine up to the draft analysis that you saw.

For one, he is NOT considered to be more than a possession receiver in the NFL, probably a GOOD one, but he is never expected to become like a Calvin or a Julio Jones or the like.

I forget, I think his rating starts off as an 80, but I wouldn't be disappointed if it took him an extra season or two to reach his peak. For one, he was the last draft pick signed, which I feel that by ITSELF would lead to his development being lessened.

Not to mention his off-the-field incidents and attitude between the draft and him even signing his rookie deal -- I don't think its bad to rate his development this way at all. You've got an 80 overall who has a ceiling to be a very good, but NOT great possession receiver. Sounds like "working as intended" to me.

Don't have anything against Blackmon at all, even if I think its dumb to get a DUI before you even sign a pro contract (bad period, but come on, get paid first at least...) but I don't think just because a player is a Top 10 pick that he should be guaranteed a Superstar ceiling.

Hell, Tannehill has only been a quarterback for like 1 3/4 years now, before that he was a receiver. He's a top 8 pick, are we giving him a slam dunk for SuperStar? I'm not, and I like him as a player and his chances and talent as well.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 3

Somewhat off-topic, but Darrelle Revis is apparently not consistent and has no confidence. Darrelle Revis not having confidence is one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

The reason I bring this up is that these things wouldn't be at all problematic if they could be edited. Even if there is no editing players in CCM, there needs to be the option to edit the rosters before starting CCM, including the development trait, and using the edited roster.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #56
Madden & NBA 2K fanatic

Joobieo's Arena

OVR: 19
Icon11 Re: Justin Blackmon development rating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf28
Somewhat off-topic, but Darrelle Revis is apparently not consistent and has no confidence. Darrelle Revis not having confidence is one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

The reason I bring this up is that these things wouldn't be at all problematic if they could be edited. Even if there is no editing players in CCM, there needs to be the option to edit the rosters before starting CCM, including the development trait, and using the edited roster.
Ya that's kind of a fail on EA's part then. He only has a commercial with 'revis island' on it lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »