Home

Can someone explain why the schemes are so important to the game, and what they do?

This is a discussion on Can someone explain why the schemes are so important to the game, and what they do? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Can someone explain why the schemes are so important to the game, and what they d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfan89
This is what I think is stupid. For example a guy like Andrew Luck doesnt fit the Colts scheme. Are you serious? They are building their offense around him. Andrew Luck is the Colts scheme.
Its funny you mentioned that.. I simmed two CCM's and both times the Colts didn't resign Luck when his contract expired.... I couldn't believe it
Old 09-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #18
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Can someone explain why the schemes are so important to the game, and what they d

Scheme matters as much as you like it to. Beyond what others have said with regard to CPU roster management, it also helps the user to develop something of a team identity.
I have a friend that is terrible at Madden. I once asked him what does he look to do when he is passing. His answer was simply "pass to the open receiver." Well schemes will not help him. But for those who like the Xs and Os of football and have a plan of attack, schemes are very helpful.
Yes, you should match personnel to scheme, but you also need to match playcalling to scheme. That same friend has his CB scheme set to "man to man" yet he spent 80% of the game in zone and was wondering why his secondary played like crap. Play to your team's strength!

Now I do have a problem with some players not fitting to schemes. Many players can fit equally as well into multiple schemes. The game does not acknowledge that though. Take Ray Rice for example. Is he a speed back? A receiving back? A one cut back?
Old 09-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeq14
Hold on so are you saying you managed to change your scheme? exactly how did you do this?
Not intentionally I think it is a glitch that was caused by the update. I have all the player types as Cowboys default so it should say balanced and 3-4 attack. But now it shows west coast and spread which apparently is given to all created coaches, but this is now appearing in the scheme screen instead of just the coaches goals screen.

It's why I'm convinced scheme is pointless/broken and only player type is working. If players do actually gain extra xp for being in the right scheme then I got screwed as I focused on getting balanced players not west coast.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #20
Rookie

Maitreya's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeyEZ
I've been stopping myself all night from replying, but now I have to!

Hasn't anyone heard of Head Coach? It was done, and quite well in 09 but everybody wants to just button mash Madden players. Why aren't you people that want to see OC and DC mean something buying HC 09? Maybe if there were a surge of buyers EA would make it again! I still play it lol.

Spread the word! The ghost of Head Coach is coming!!
Because I want to PLAY the game, not watch.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by husani123
Its funny you mentioned that.. I simmed two CCM's and both times the Colts didn't resign Luck when his contract expired.... I couldn't believe it
I have a Jags CCM and Luck was not resigned by the Colts in that one either. He was 26 y/o, at 88 overall, after having lead them to the playoffs the previous two seasons. But apparently, because he doesnt fit the Colts scheme, he is let go. Ridiculous.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 6

Maybe it has something to do with who the AI signs,,but as for gameplay it means nothing. Every game I play the run/pass ratio is the same. Shouldnt be that way. A lot of the things tha EA said would make Franchise the "deepest ever" doesnt work right or the way it was preceived.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #23
Rookie

Yeah I made one as the Rams and they have a Power Running back system there.

I drafted a receiving QB and was going to change up the offense a bit and make it go more of a quicker tempo.

Schemes wouldn't let me save anything.

I'm going to restart a ccm soon I think.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #24
Pro

OVR: 2

Scheme is not supposed to have much of an effect if any on gameplay. It is merely an evaluation tool and a cpu guide to reflect real preferences in team management. Some teams options are just wrong. I do believe eventually that the scheme and/or player type should be able to change as players progress.

By the way, has anyone ever heard of a spread defense? I hate the fact that you can't change your teams scheme, and that every created player is glitched.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »