Home

Head Coach vs Madden 13 (CCM)

This is a discussion on Head Coach vs Madden 13 (CCM) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: Head Coach vs Madden 13 (CCM)

Loved Head Coach (except for not being able to play), and Looman was the reason I decided to try out this years's Madden. I can see some things progressing toward a true franchise. Would like to have Head Coach's game planning for the next week's team. Not high on the practice mode in this year's Madden. Would like to Practice plays that would be effective against the your next opponent ie. more to do between games.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by morieeel
Loved Head Coach (except for not being able to play), and Looman was the reason I decided to try out this years's Madden. I can see some things progressing toward a true franchise. Would like to have Head Coach's game planning for the next week's team. Not high on the practice mode in this year's Madden. Would like to Practice plays that would be effective against the your next opponent ie. more to do between games.
Forgot about gameplanning, although that was one thing that i thought was a bit blah on HC09
Old 09-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

I disagree with the OP that just because HC09 didn't have game play, that made it a simulation. That seems to be saying a football game can't be a simulation if it has on-field game play but I have always wanted a football game with a HC09 team management AND realistic game play. Madden COULD be that game IF EA would make it so. However, I am not optimistic about that because the good people at EA seem to agree with the OP that simulation football is tantamount to just watching the games.

To the questions;
1. yes I heard of it.
2. didn't buy it but got it from a friend that bought the Madden 09 anniversary dual pack thingy that that year.
3. Not a question.
4. Yes, I want control of one on-field player at the time but in a much more realistic way according to player ratings than what Madden currently offers.

My 3 biggest disappointments of things that didn't make it from HC09 into Madden are, coordinators/position coaches, playbook knowledge and the wear n tear injury system including the body part chart.

I just want to touch on the injury system real quick.The injury system in HC09 had a solid foundation for using that body part setup to represent multiple progressive injuries. It visualized the notion of players being "80%" or whatnot and various percentages could have been tied to the severity of the injury to each body part. For instance, ONE player could be 75% on their arm, due to a sprained elbow and 80% on their right leg due to an ankle sprain, at the same time. Then all that tied into whether the player is doubtful, questionable, out, etc, for each game. It would have been so immersive to actual diagnose and have to gameplan around players wearing down in CCM. That one nuance alone, would instantly adds more depth and realism than what M13 currently provides.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #12
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeyEZ
I'm reading through a lot of posts and getting slightly frustrated.

I'm hearing all these comments about what people say they would like in Madden 13 CCM, what does work, and what doesn't work etc.

I read and I say to myself, calmly at first, "Self, that was in Head Coach", "that worked in Head Coach" starting to grind teeth, "THAT was IN Head COACH!"...

So this thread isn't just a rant, a few questions:

1) Have you HEARD of Head Coach 09? (yes it is an EA game and actually, Josh Looman and Donny Moore (the guys bringing you CCM were the leaders of the Head Coach development team) <--which is why I plunked down my coins for the first time since 06 for a Madden title. (06 is when the first Head Coach game came out)

2) If you heard of it did you buy it? If not, why not?

3) Buy it now and you may be amazed at what it did and what you are asking for! (Probably find it for $10 or sumthin)

4) Is it necessary for you to control the players during the game? That is NOT in Head Coach because it is a simulation game, not an arcade game. Again, if all these people that are complaining about CCM were to buy Head Coach, they would probably have kept the franchise

Anyway, really curious to hear from Head Coach players, their thoughts on M13 CCM and hopefully to get a lot more fans so EA might consider letting Josh and Donny really develop CCM either as part of Madden or as its own franchise again.

Thanks for reading...
HC09 was to me....played it for two years or more, and was totally immersed in it. It's the best NFL game I've played in the sense of immersing me in football and the level of control in terms of management/team building. It was the ultimate NFL RPG.

I loved that game so much I wound up buying it for three of my friends and they all love it.

As to HC/Madden CCM. I like that I'm seeing more elements of HC incorporated into Madden. I rather like CCM so far, but it's still not quite as immersive or detailed as HC. But I wasn't expecting it to be, either.

I think Madden is one or two iterations away from potential greatness, if they can keep from trying to reinvent it every year and just build on what's there.

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"
Old 09-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I disagree with the OP that just because HC09 didn't have game play, that made it a simulation. That seems to be saying a football game can't be a simulation if it has on-field game play but I have always wanted a football game with a HC09 team management AND realistic game play. Madden COULD be that game IF EA would make it so. However, I am not optimistic about that because the good people at EA seem to agree with the OP that simulation football is tantamount to just watching the games.

To the questions;
1. yes I heard of it.
2. didn't buy it but got it from a friend that bought the Madden 09 anniversary dual pack thingy that that year.
3. Not a question.
4. Yes, I want control of one on-field player at the time but in a much more realistic way according to player ratings than what Madden currently offers.

My 3 biggest disappointments of things that didn't make it from HC09 into Madden are, coordinators/position coaches, playbook knowledge and the wear n tear injury system including the body part chart.

I just want to touch on the injury system real quick.The injury system in HC09 had a solid foundation for using that body part setup to represent multiple progressive injuries. It visualized the notion of players being "80%" or whatnot and various percentages could have been tied to the severity of the injury to each body part. For instance, ONE player could be 75% on their arm, due to a sprained elbow and 80% on their right leg due to an ankle sprain, at the same time. Then all that tied into whether the player is doubtful, questionable, out, etc, for each game. It would have been so immersive to actual diagnose and have to gameplan around players wearing down in CCM. That one nuance alone, would instantly adds more depth and realism than what M13 currently provides.
Nice response, thanks. Nice to see there are still some HC alumni around. I bought M13 for the same reasons, knowing it was about potential, and not what was going to be in the game right now.

Let me clarify on the "sim" response though. If my QB has 90 AWR and I am controlling him, (yes I suck) I will not choose the correct receiver nor will I sense the oncoming rush (again, I suck) so it does me no good to draft a QB with the skills I want him to have if I'm controlling him. Controlling a player makes him you, instead of the sum of his attributes. That is what I mean by not being a sim....does that help?
Old 09-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #14
Pro

ajk49er's Arena

OVR: 2

the playbook knowledge, the coordinators/position coaches, the injury system, and imo one of the best features, was their tracking page. that had info on every team from players that retired during the offseason, to who you drafted, signed and all of that. it was like a super transactions log.

those would be things Id love to see in the next game, as they all added quite a bit. PB knowledge made you think twice about making changes to your team or moving away a vet, the coaches were just cool to upgrade and the retired players turned coach were also neat. and this game really lacks a transactions log more than anything.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #15
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeyEZ
Nice response, thanks. Nice to see there are still some HC alumni around. I bought M13 for the same reasons, knowing it was about potential, and not what was going to be in the game right now.

Let me clarify on the "sim" response though. If my QB has 90 AWR and I am controlling him, (yes I suck) I will not choose the correct receiver nor will I sense the oncoming rush (again, I suck) so it does me no good to draft a QB with the skills I want him to have if I'm controlling him. Controlling a player makes him you, instead of the sum of his attributes. That is what I mean by not being a sim....does that help?
LOL, makes sense to me. Draft some kid with 90 THP and good accuracy and you're set unless you sim the games.

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 5

1. As I have stated quite a few times on this forum, HC 09 is the greatest game of any genre I've played. FOR ME, it filled every niche that I look for in games.

2. Bought it because it came with Madden 09 I think. Never ended up playing Madden 09......

3. Simulation fans will not believe how good it is. They should definitely buy it.

4. Obviously for me it is not only NOT necessary for me to control players, but as a sim fan I PREFER not to. Again, because I am a sim fan, I enjoy managing and creating a team. Then, I enjoy calling plays and watching the players I drafted/signed/traded for perform. What I would not enjoy, just to be clear, is not being able to call plays. I would need to always do that.

Thanks for the post. I always enjoy reminiscing about Head Coach 09.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »