Home

Scheme Question: New West Coast

This is a discussion on Scheme Question: New West Coast within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Scheme Question: New West Coast

Hi all,

I've got a question regarding roster building, positional strategies, etc.

So I'm firing up a Raiders franchise, and am trying to get a handle on the principles and ideal player types for the modern adaptation of the West Coast, such as the one the Raiders are currently implementing.

Here are the observations I've made so far by reading a bit. Please correct me where I'm wrong, and for the spots where I'm clueless, I'd love it if you guys could make suggestions for scheme type and offer some existing players as models.

Also, I'm trying to figure out the best playbook for such a system, so I'd take any and all recommendations there.

QB: They have Palmer, but ideally, the system is looking for a QB who is good
at PA and can use a robust rollout passing scheme, which sounds exactly
like the West Coast scheme for QB

HB: McFadden's actual player type is One-Cut, and that seems like the most
sensible fit. Are there other, equally suited back types for this system?

FB: Runner-Receiver. I'm assuming that new West Coast attacks want versatile
FBs rather than strictly blockers.

TE: Receiver? The in-line blocker at TE seems to be a dead model. Is this
correct?

WR: No clue. The Raiders have a bunch of fast guys. What player scheme types
fit best?

OL: Zone Blocking. That much seems clear from the state philosophy of the
new regime.

My experience with the West Coast was during the Walsh era, when two back sets were the norm. I've looked at Madden's and Flores's books, and while they're Vertical Offense books, they do have lots of PA in them, as well as plenty of opportunities in the passing game for backs like McFadden and Reece, as well as a good number of FB runs.

What other playbooks would make sense with a West Coast system, and what are their particular strengths?

I know that several positions on my team just aren't good fits, like all my fast WR, my TE, and several members of the OL, so I'll need to draft to fit the system. That's where having some sample current players for each role would help me build the squad.

Thanks in advance!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: Scheme Question: New West Coast

I think with the running backs, you'd want to have a guy that is a good receiving threat. Reggie Bush (who also plays in a WC system in Miami) is the type of player I would look for; plenty of speed and is a mismatch when going up against LB's on pass plays. I'd also carry a bigger-sized HB for short-yardage situations.

Mobile quarterbacks with accuracy throwing on the run would be good. A Russell Wilson-type QB would be a good fit.

Wideouts you'd probably want one deep threat to stretch the field and keep the safeties honest, and then find some good possession guys. That's not to say that those possession guys can't have speed, but their catch and catch in traffic ratings should be high.

Tight ends should be receiving threats but also be competent run blockers.

I'm not sure on the OL, so I won't comment on what to look for there.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »