Home

Stopping the elite WR's.

This is a discussion on Stopping the elite WR's. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Stopping the elite WR's.

I usually run the Quarter defense against that if it's 5-wide. If it's 4-wide I come out in dime but for whatever reason it puts the LB on AJ Green and the DB on the TE or RB. Normally, I can just switch them manually. I can't do that during hurry-up situations though.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 6

It's pretty common to see a top WR in the slot now...whether or not it's a majority of the time or not is moot. If you're in man coverage, your #1 CB will NOT line up on the slot receiver.

I don't think you'll ever see a Champ Bailey or Revis line up as the nickle back in real life, either...no matter who is lined up in the slot, even if it's man coverage. I could be wrong there, but I've never seen it.

Few things I do that help (note: I don't play online, just CCM, and I don't do gameflow on defense ever....can cause matchup nightmares).

If you're in a zone...you have to make sure your nickel back is lined up correctly. If the offense comes out in a typical 3 WR set, the slot receiver is on the left of the QB...and that's where the default nickel schemes line up your back. If the slot receiver is on the opposite side, audible and reverse your formation, which will line the nickel up on the other side. I also generally do press coverage on the slot receiver, even in a zone...even though it doesn't always make them press, it moves them closer to the receiver.

As has been said, you can "highlight" the receiver for your defense to focus on them...but this can get you beat pretty handily by other receivers.

Here's a pretty good write up of how to "hot route" your defense, but I personally still use the d-pad as I don't tend to miss with the defense too much:

http://www.madden-school.com/forum/m...beginners.html
Old 09-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by method29
I usually run the Quarter defense against that if it's 5-wide. If it's 4-wide I come out in dime but for whatever reason it puts the LB on AJ Green and the DB on the TE or RB. Normally, I can just switch them manually. I can't do that during hurry-up situations though.

there 11 guys on offense right? 5 guys ont eh line and one QB. So that makes 6. 5 WR...there should be no TE or RB on the field???
Old 09-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYM72382
there 11 guys on offense right? 5 guys ont eh line and one QB. So that makes 6. 5 WR...there should be no TE or RB on the field???
I mentioned the TE during a 4-wide set. I think you mis-read.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #21
Rookie

Quote:
I've never seen an instance in dime coverage against a normal 4 wide set that a DB isn't covering the person in front of them. If you're in a zone blitz, that could cause the issue...but man to man I've never seen that happen. Maybe if you were blitzing a db, but usually a safety is going to cover that spot. I don't have dime defense in my CCM, so I'm not saying it doesn't happen...I've just never seen that happen before.

If it's truly an issue, you can always just change your auto subs around...like put a safety in for the MLB, and put a backup safety deep. Similar to the nickel sub formation. Leaves you susceptible to the run, but if you put your starting strong safety in for the MLB...it might not be so bad.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
I mentioned the TE during a 4-wide set. I think you mis-read.
I did sorry...against teams that split the Te out or always have them out in passing like the pats I just make sure I use a formation with an extra DB
Old 09-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #23
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoleDude
I've never seen an instance in dime coverage against a normal 4 wide set that a DB isn't covering the person in front of them. If you're in a zone blitz, that could cause the issue...but man to man I've never seen that happen. Maybe if you were blitzing a db, but usually a safety is going to cover that spot. I don't have dime defense in my CCM, so I'm not saying it doesn't happen...I've just never seen that happen before.

If it's truly an issue, you can always just change your auto subs around...like put a safety in for the MLB, and put a backup safety deep. Similar to the nickel sub formation. Leaves you susceptible to the run, but if you put your starting strong safety in for the MLB...it might not be so bad.
It's when the offense comes out with this formation.

WR WR WR LT LG C RG RT TE/RB? WR

------------------QB RB/Empty?

I come out in the Dime, man coverage, 4 DL (obviously rushing), LB is in man, 4 CBs all in man, and the Safeties are in zone.

AJ Green Lines up in that 3rd WR spot between the LT and the other inside WR to the left. For whatever reason, the LB always covers him if the TE/RB is lined up on the right, to the inside. While the CBs cover the other 3 WRs and the TE/RB.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
It's when the offense comes out with this formation.

WR WR WR LT LG C RG RT TE/RB? WR

------------------QB RB/Empty?

I come out in the Dime, man coverage, 4 DL (obviously rushing), LB is in man, 4 CBs all in man, and the Safeties are in zone.

AJ Green Lines up in that 3rd WR spot between the LT and the other inside WR to the left. For whatever reason, the LB always covers him if the TE/RB is lined up on the right, to the inside. While the CBs cover the other 3 WRs and the TE/RB.
That makes a bit more sense....just more reason that defensive assignments shouldn't have been taken out of the game :\. Not sure there's anything you can do to fix it honestly. I'd probably just use Quarter against it every time to make sure you get better matchups.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »