Home

Madden 13 emphasizing post-launch support

This is a discussion on Madden 13 emphasizing post-launch support within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #81
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Madden 13 emphasizing post-launch support

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeycool
EmmdotFrisk you are the man! I would have lost my cool so many times over if I had to deal with same responses over and over.

The point of making this thread was not to start a bashing spree, but honestly evaluate whether or not EA has lived up to what the article said about community interaction and post-launch feedback.

I do think EA has done better in some regards, mainly you and your constant interaction with this tough crowd, but it could be much better in my opinion. For instances, we still have not had a third patch confirmed. I know that it is not practical to specify fixes until they are certain to be fixed, but I would be VERY surprised if EA didn't KNOW if there is or is not going to be a 3rd patch.

From what it sounds like to me, EA uses a waterfall process model to develop their software. In which case it seems like the team is in the designing phase of these feature additions and bug fixes, which is why they are unable to commit to fixing them until they have a workable design/solution all mapped out.

I'm pretty sure based on the information you are giving us that they are well past gathering and developing requirements. The old adage is that if proper time is given to design, then coding is straight forward and will take less time than designing. Of course, there is still verification and testing that needs to happen before anything is ready to go out (this is internally, not the verification done by Sony and Microsoft)

My guess (which is just that, a complete guess) is that we are about 3-4 weeks from a 3rd patch being released, if in fact there is a 3rd patch in the works.
Which is pretty much how patches from Madden and NCAA have proceeded in the past. For Madden, the last patch usually drops sometime in October.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #82
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmdotFrisk
AI playcalling cannot be fixed with a tuner but we know its a major issue.
Well, in looking at the tuner updates for NHL, it seems like they mostly adjust AI issues that deal with abilities, like some sort of internal slider set. Is this what tuners can do? Can you explain exactly what tuners can be used for. Thanks
Old 09-26-2012, 11:32 PM   #83
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
I believe the disconnect is the level of emulation. The hardcore community wants 100% authenticity. We want real life to = Madden. While I would love this, I understand the limitations of making a video game...(Abbreviated for space)
Who pray tell, does this disconnect apply to? Quite often when I engage in a discussion about the realism lacking in Madden, someone retorts with "no game is perfect" in various wording. I consider myself a reasonable person and you too, so of course no reasonable person expects a "100% authenticity". I have stated many times that the vast majority of my expectations for this video game, Madden, comes from what I have seen or experienced in other video games to emulate real life, not real itself.

To the ideas offered in your post, those sound great for innovation for total control passing in a video game but I don't understand why Madden can't copy what other football games have done before, until they achieve a way to do it better. Again, I am not presenting wishlists or uneducated ideas with respect to programming about how to improve Madden, I am just asking why can't the devs emulate NFL realism in Madden the way and at the level other devs have in other video games?
Old 09-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #84
Pro

EmmdotFrisk's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Who pray tell, does this disconnect apply to? Quite often when I engage in a discussion about the realism lacking in Madden, someone retorts with "no game is perfect" in various wording. I consider myself a reasonable person and you too, so of course no reasonable person expects a "100% authenticity". I have stated many times that the vast majority of my expectations for this video game, Madden, comes from what I have seen or experienced in other video games to emulate real life, not real itself.

To the ideas offered in your post, those sound great for innovation for total control passing in a video game but I don't understand why Madden can't copy what other football games have done before, until they achieve a way to do it better. Again, I am not presenting wishlists or uneducated ideas with respect to programming about how to improve Madden, I am just asking why can't the devs emulate NFL realism in Madden the way and at the level other devs have in other video games?
What do you mean by copy? Do you mean cut and paste code? or try and re-create?
Old 09-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #85
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
What do you mean by copy? Do you mean cut and paste code? or try and re-create?
Come on man, give the guy some credit. Of course he doesn't mean cut and paste the code. He means recreating what other games have been able to do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #86
Pro

EmmdotFrisk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
Well, in looking at the tuner updates for NHL, it seems like they mostly adjust AI issues that deal with abilities, like some sort of internal slider set. Is this what tuners can do? Can you explain exactly what tuners can be used for. Thanks
Things that are predicated by sliders, difficulty, speed. So some AI can be tuned but some can't. It really comes down to the exact issue on a case by case basis.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #87
Pro

EmmdotFrisk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
Come on man, give the guy some credit. Of course he doesn't mean cut and paste the code. He means recreating what other games have been able to do.
Give the guy some credit. What are you talking about?
Old 09-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #88
Pro

EmmdotFrisk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
This is a legitimate question because he didn't specify which games.

He didn't say previous EA games which would imply copy, paste. Nor did he give specific examples.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »