Home

Let's talk defense [in Madden]

This is a discussion on Let's talk defense [in Madden] within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Let's talk defense [in Madden]

NOTE: For those who don't know, I am still playing Madden 12.

As I was going through this process or testing sliders and building my playbook, I was playing in practice mode along with "Play Now" and franchise games.

While in practice, I was watching replays and taking note of how my defenders covered the middle of the field. I called a cover 2 Zone. My CBs were in flats coverage. My ROLB was a pass rusher and my other 3 LBs were in yellow hook zones. I was user controlling Bowman, the ILB playing the Zone on the TV left [defensive right] and in the replay I noticed the LOLB Brooks dropping into a middle hook zone with Willis instead of off to TV Right [defensive left] like he is supposed to. He would do this over and over again.

This got me thinking. It got me asking the basic question "Why?" Is it my settings? Is it his ratings? Is it both? So, I took a look at his ratings and he has like 60 Zone Coverage. What I decided to do was go in and edit the 49ers starting linebackers Zone coverage ratings to 99 [and NOT save] and go back into practice. Well, that appeared to make a huge difference. While they were not playing the zone perfectly, they played it a lot better, as they should with a 99 rating

Well, that inspired me to reload my roster file, and sort by All NFL for all 3 line backer positions for zone coverage ratings. To no surprise, almost every linebacker in Madden has a low zone coverage rating.

There are only 7 MLBs with 80 or more Zone Coverage. 4 of them all have 80 and only Vilma, Urlacher and Derrick Johnson have over 80. D.J. Williams and Pat Angerer are the only OLBs with 80+ ZCV with both at 81. To me, it is now no wonder why the coverage over the middle of the field is so bad.

Now, I don't know how much a problem this is in Madden 13, but the easiest solution to this problem is to have Donny go in and adjust all of the ZCV ratings of linebackers in the game.

Off of the top of my head, every player should be raised by 10 points. By doing that, there would only be two OLBs and 7 MLBs with 90+ ZCV for a grand total of 9 out in the entire game. That wouldn't flood the roster, but it should greatly improve defensive game play, even though it would be a lot of work.

Now, to save time I think I will only edit players who have 70+ ZCV to see what happens. After all, if a guy only has ZCV in the 60's, raising it into the 70s won't really make a difference in my opinion. They will still be bad.

So, in conclusion, I think that simply adjusting the ZCV ratings of the LBs in the game will help improve defense in Madden.

P.S. I think this is also the problem with the terrible blocking I see out of FBs & TEs. Linebackers and linemen simply have much higher block shedding than the FBs & TEs who are blocking them, leading to instantly shed block animations. Vernon Davis is one of the two best run blockers in the game and only has like 80 run blocking strength compared to many line backers who have 90+ block shedding.

Last edited by PGaither84; 09-25-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

Re: Let's talk defense [in Madden]

As I am doing this... and I'm doing this for both man and zone coverage... it only affect the OVR rating by 1 point.

Going back into practice, it really is making a difference. Bad players are still bad, but the best coverage line backers are much better. Again, there are only 9 players with 90+ ZCV [that isn't that many] and not that many in the 80's. It's like, guys in general are finally doing their jobs with a bit more consistency. They are starting to look more like pros.

Last edited by PGaither84; 09-25-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
As I am doing this... and i'm doing this for both man and zone coverage... it only affect the OVR rating by 1 point.
They should leave the ratings alone and adjust the effectiveness of zone coverage. In M13, the linebackers and secondary have terrible zone covereage. Zone is bust this year.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
MVP

TreFacTor's Arena

OVR: 24

I see what your saying PGaither, I think this is how Ea "fixes" the game anyway. The real issue offline is the cpu ai that is completely unchallenging. Sliders and ratings matter little when you can beat the cpu with 3 offensive and defensive plays no matter the team. I have to play with blinders on to enjoy Madden. I know I'm not playing football, just replicating football plays...sort of.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

I have also said it before... it feels like EA's football game is built for college football MORE than NFL football. It's like... when you see some of the mistakes in NCAA, you can brush some of it off and say "Well, it's college. Some guys are pros and some wouldn't make it in the AFL." When you play Madden though, you expect a higher level of play. People make mistakes, but in Madden it feels like poor programing rather than an intentional "It's in the Game/Everything you see on Sunday" way to simulate mistakes.

It's a computer program, and the players [who are nothing more than a bag of ratings] simply lack the skills [high enough rating] to do their jobs at times. Some of that is Donny Moore's fault, though most of it is still Central Game Play's fault.

Still, even then, if i were Donny Moore, I would rethink how I rate certain positional skills. I think it i a combination of how we view ratings, and how effective/ineffective they really are.

For all my negativity over the last couple years, I am trying to be positive.

Last edited by PGaither84; 09-25-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
MVP

phant030's Arena

OVR: 14

this is why i think they should hv ratings thresholds or tighten an internal threshold via patch. The ratings will become more effective without a lot of work. i think at least. if it would work like the speed threshold slider

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »