Home

2 Minute Warning AI Change

This is a discussion on 2 Minute Warning AI Change within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 21
2 Minute Warning AI Change

I have now seen this occur three times, so to me it's no longer just happen chance.

While trailing, the computer will line up to punt on 4th and whatever down. Should the two minute warning occur during the timeframe, the computer will then go for it.

To be brutally clear, I have now seen punt team come out, the 2 minute warning hit, and then have the offense come back out.

Are we really using this type of AI structure, where they seemingly don't understand the difference between 5 minutes and 2:01 minutes left in a game?

Between this and the TO with 1 minute left, it just looks like simpleton AI.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 2 Minute Warning AI Change

I had an instance where with me up 1 score CPU in hurry up under 2 minutes to go...they hurried to line to run a play on 4th down but I felt my D wasn't set up right so I called a timeout and after the timeout they punted lol.

Last edited by NYJin2011tm; 09-30-2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 09-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

im not sure i understand.. when theres over 2 min left the comp will punt it while trailing (prob because they feel over 2 min is efficient enough time to stop you and get the ball back for the win, also 2 min warning stops the clock) but under 2 min they go for it ( because under 2 min is when you start to draw the line of if they get 1 or 2 first downs the games over). so yeah i have seen what you mean by right at the 2 min warning theyll change up but i dont really see the problem in it???
Old 09-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
Rookie

ghostlight85's Arena

OVR: 10

I have less of a problem with the decision to change from punt to going for it, though I see what you are getting at.

The problem I have is that the CPU at least in CCM doesn't seem to have ANY sense of urgency when trailing until the 2:00 warning. They could be down 14 with 4 or less minutes and you'll never see hurry up or a change of gameplan until the 2:00 mark. I think that something fundamental in the CPU gameplans is broken in CCM.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by oo40oztofreedum
im not sure i understand.. when theres over 2 min left the comp will punt it while trailing (prob because they feel over 2 min is efficient enough time to stop you and get the ball back for the win, also 2 min warning stops the clock) but under 2 min they go for it ( because under 2 min is when you start to draw the line of if they get 1 or 2 first downs the games over). so yeah i have seen what you mean by right at the 2 min warning theyll change up but i dont really see the problem in it???
You made my point for me.

The AI apperantly looks at time as 2:01 to infinity, 1:59 and under.

You don't punt into the two minute warning, because when you do that clock stoppage doesn't impact anything.

What you do is set up a scenario where the offense will get the ball back with zero time outs and worse field position a majority of the time.

Your either going for it or your not, the 2 minute warning should have zero effect on it but instead it actually changes the situation entirely.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 28

How about the one where the computer will do a fake if they have 4th and less than 5 and they are between the 40s. I played an online ccm game against the cpu and they did 3 fake punts in one game. All within those paramters. Chance??? I highly doubt it. The hits just keep coming. Frankly, I am amazed that more press is not writing articles talking about how big of a disaster this game is. I have never seen a high profile sports game released like this in my entire sports gaming history (covering over 30 years). It's actually incredible at this point.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
Rookie

ghostlight85's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
How about the one where the computer will do a fake if they have 4th and less than 5 and they are between the 40s. I played an online ccm game against the cpu and they did 3 fake punts in one game. All within those paramters. Chance??? I highly doubt it. The hits just keep coming. Frankly, I am amazed that more press is not writing articles talking about how big of a disaster this game is. I have never seen a high profile sports game released like this in my entire sports gaming history (covering over 30 years). It's actually incredible at this point.
I think that's exaggerating. I don't think it's even the only example of this within the Madden series. I think All-Pro Football was equally as disappointing as this one for different reasons. I think MLB 2k series has had worse efforts in their pantheon. Madden 7/8/9 were all pretty hard to stomach. This game is flawed, deeply. But it's not the only one ever.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlight85
I think that's exaggerating. I don't think it's even the only example of this within the Madden series. I think All-Pro Football was equally as disappointing as this one for different reasons. I think MLB 2k series has had worse efforts in their pantheon. Madden 7/8/9 were all pretty hard to stomach. This game is flawed, deeply. But it's not the only one ever.
Right - and MLB2k received low to mediocre ratings across the board. madden got a 9 from IGN. Also - APF was designed to simply be an online head to head game. It wasn't broken and bug riddled like this game is.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »