Home

Is it time to do away with OVR Rating

This is a discussion on Is it time to do away with OVR Rating within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 8
You know since I have been waiting for patch I forgot about production rating..see with that along with ability ratings why even have OVR rating..
Old 10-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: Is it time to do away with OVR Rating

yea totally for doing away with the ovr rating. it bugs me that a guy can beast it up for 2 or 3 years and because his overall is still 78 that is his trade value, it's stupid.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #19
Rookie

Agreed..See and to be honest look at it a def way...guy has good year but then really drops off the face of earth..ala D Anderson (former Brown) exactly anyone from the year of the Brown's
Old 10-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHalt621
Here is my reasoning..it changes depending on what kind of D or O u are running anyway..also..it's not like the coaching staffs in NFL have a list in front of them that says.."Tom Brady" is a 99..if u know what I mean..or at least an option
It's been time to do away with such ratings.

If the CPU needs it to determine who's good/bad - leave it as a calculate the player evaluation component of the AI does and not have it displayed.

Even for "casual" fans, it doesn't really give them any more information. It's still just EA's weightings for the ratings, which may not even match up on the field depending on that user's play style and coaching style (I don't just mean scheme in the game but how the user uses the plays within that scheme - run/pass ratio, type of runs/passes, etc).

In fact, it might even hinder "casual" players because they'll believe the OVR instead of the individual skill or what they see on the field. They might think they are "playing wrong" because a higher OVR isn't excelling more than a lower guy, etc.

A Production rating that's NORMALIZED (i.e. not based on arbitrary EA thresholds but where X = average in the league that year and each rating point is +/- 1%, so if average is 50, 55 would mean the player was 5% better than the league average) would make sense. If, for whatever reason, I have a defensive league (like my old franchise was becoming), I would want Production based on that, not something that's fixed and doesn't consider the league environment the player played in.

Last edited by KBLover; 10-07-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #21
Rookie

xpmar9x's Arena

OVR: 0

I doubt they'd ever get rid of it.. but OVR really means nothing to me. Rookies play just as good because all the over stats are good, but then Donny gives them a 40 awr.

I do think they need to tune it down. Seems like theres a trillion 90+s, I think it should be more like this:

Superstars: 90+
Pro-Bowlers: 80+
Starting Material: 70+
Average Players: 60+
Below Average Players: 50+

Its what NBA2K did, makes the stars "stars" if that makes sense. Gives them more of an impact.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #22
Pro

OVR: 0

OVR is for the CPU, if you're a user paying attention to OVR as if it matters...lol oops.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #23
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
It's been time to do away with such ratings.

If the CPU needs it to determine who's good/bad - leave it as a calculate the player evaluation component of the AI does and not have it displayed.

Even for "casual" fans, it doesn't really give them any more information. It's still just EA's weightings for the ratings, which may not even match up on the field depending on that user's play style and coaching style (I don't just mean scheme in the game but how the user uses the plays within that scheme - run/pass ratio, type of runs/passes, etc).

In fact, it might even hinder "casual" players because they'll believe the OVR instead of the individual skill or what they see on the field. They might think they are "playing wrong" because a higher OVR isn't excelling more than a lower guy, etc.

A Production rating that's NORMALIZED (i.e. not based on arbitrary EA thresholds but where X = average in the league that year and each rating point is +/- 1%, so if average is 50, 55 would mean the player was 5% better than the league average) would make sense. If, for whatever reason, I have a defensive league (like my old franchise was becoming), I would want Production based on that, not something that's fixed and doesn't consider the league environment the player played in.
And I think if they did away with it and based it on production (rating) then the CPU would be likely to make a move on a player in season no? I mean it would be great to be in season..and notice that the insert team benched insert player
Old 10-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpmar9x
I doubt they'd ever get rid of it.. but OVR really means nothing to me. Rookies play just as good because all the over stats are good, but then Donny gives them a 40 awr.

I do think they need to tune it down. Seems like theres a trillion 90+s, I think it should be more like this:

Superstars: 90+
Pro-Bowlers: 80+
Starting Material: 70+
Average Players: 60+
Below Average Players: 50+

Its what NBA2K did, makes the stars "stars" if that makes sense. Gives them more of an impact.
I agree with u that some players are way over rated..how many calls u think they (meaning madden team) receive from players and agents of players saying "come on..I'm faster then him..I'm better then him"..why have a rating scale from 0-99 if for the most part everyone is above 60 in base skills..a lineman runs a 5.10 40..but his speed is 60? But someone else runs a 4.10 40 and is 98..due to the small window of one second..u would think they would be more likely to use the whole scale..but they don't..

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »