Home

How do YOU Madden?

This is a discussion on How do YOU Madden? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 11
How do YOU Madden?

I thought it was about time for another thread that isn't about what's wrong with the game, or even what's right (i.e. positive).

Just curious about something as I sit here starting my Redskins offline CCM.

It's been 20 minutes so far since I made my coach (import game face), checked one last time to make sure my custom playbooks weren't available futilely, desperately, and then clicked Start. I haven't started my career on the action menu yet though because I'm filling out my spreadsheet with my roster! I guess I started laughing at myself and thought, "Hey me, you should ask how other people play Madden just for a sanity/freak/nerd/geek/reality check!"

I have my PC on next to me at all times with a spreadsheet open where I can see my entire Depth Chart in front of me at all times with info like players' name age scheme type and Primary Rating for their position. I use this spread sheet which has all my franchise info/philosophies/scouting etc info on it also to evaluate players in-game, make notes on possible positions of need, and prospects to scout. It's my clipboard basically.

As you all know by now, I do not control any (yes, despite all the drama, I am happy about QB Autopass at least) players on the field (except kicks of course shakes angry fist at Madden God somewhere up in a northerly direction) and use Gameflow (which I'm not sure is very valid since without custom playbooks you can't really create your gameflow either can you? I could use a little assistance with that if you know, those not really knowing/just guessing/or have other ideas having nothing to do with that specific question need not address that specific question) Anyway, I use gameflow or Aggressive Play 100% yes 100% on Defense (ala DC) and Gameflow about 80% of time on Offense, or I call my own play.

Hmm, oh, when I'm first hired, usually I trade my players over 30 for draft picks and have no problem trading stars that do not fit my system for draft picks or rarely another player if they are my ideal type. I believe in building via Draft, not FA, but I will take a young FA off the market once in a while and use FA to fill out my roster. Again, always young R or 1-2 year players who may end up diamonds in the rough. (Something I loved about the walk-ons in Head Coach after the draft!!)

Salary Cap is on, always, as well as trade deadlines (all enabled) injuries, etc. I try to make it as sim/realistic as possible, of course.

I've never really tried sliders before, but I am going All Madden this time for difficulty and just keeping an eye on no slider above 75 per Jarrod. Question, if I'm not controlling any players, my Human sliders never affect the game correct?

hmm, well, that's all I can really think of at the moment, and I have to get back to my spreadsheet, but

How do YOU Madden?

1)Notes/Tools?
2)Player Control/Play Call?
3)Franchise Philosophies?
4)Settings?
5)Sliders?
6) Coach/Player/Strategy types to win or to emulate yourself (even if not the strongest option to beat the game)

Another thought...do you play to "beat" the game, or do you play to simulate yourself and your philosophies?

I was just going to respond to a post that was asking about coaching types, and realized that it was a good question to add to this thread on How Do YOU Madden?

When I choose my Head Coach type, I choose Team Builder, because that is the type of coach I am, and how I like to play! I wouldn't use Strategist, just because that is the best option for beating the game...

So again, How Do YOU Madden, do you play to beat the game by using the best of everything options/players/trades/FA/Rosters etc., or do you play to emulate yourself, so that it may be harder but that is why you are playing, not just to beat the game.

Last edited by SloeyEZ; 10-20-2012 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Added choosing coach/strategy types...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: How do YOU Madden?

I'm a franchise guy, never play online. I played M13 online once, and I quit before halftime. I'm not a sim fanatic, but I enjoy some realism. I went up a touchdown on this guy(I dink and dunk a lot, which apparantly infuriated this guy) so of course he never once tried a punt, and did an onsides kick every score. That's just not fun for me.

I play CCM with the Packers...always the Packers. I keep a pen and paper handy, mainly to write down draft prospect names to remember, and things I need to adjust after gametime.

I usually try and get rid of older guys, unless they are beloved. I try and build through the draft but I don't pass up a good bargain on the FA market.

I run a lot of shotgun, but that doesn't mean I don't like to run the ball. I run out of the shotgun quite a lot. Draws out of the shotgun are my favorite. If they start to keep an extra LB in there, then I audible out to a pass.

I like a high percentage offense. Dink and dunk, screens, draws, etc. I will eat you up underneath until you get tired of the grind, then hit you over the top when you get impatient.

Defensively, I'm very conservative. My usual strategy is m2m with 2 deep safeties, and always rush at least 4. Keep the play in front of you, tackle well, and wait for a mistake. I tend to allow a decent amount of yards, but buckle down in FG range.

I'll let you see get used to the gameplan, then throw the occasional overload.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Pro

kcsam's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeyEZ
I thought it was about time for another thread that isn't about what's wrong with the game, or even what's right (i.e. positive).

Just curious about something as I sit here starting my Redskins offline CCM.

It's been 20 minutes so far since I made my coach (import game face), checked one last time to make sure my custom playbooks weren't available futilely, desperately, and then clicked Start. I haven't started my career on the action menu yet though because I'm filling out my spreadsheet with my roster! I guess I started laughing at myself and thought, "Hey me, you should ask how other people play Madden just for a sanity/freak/nerd/geek/reality check!"

I have my PC on next to me at all times with a spreadsheet open where I can see my entire Depth Chart in front of me at all times with info like players' name age scheme type and Primary Rating for their position. I use this spread sheet which has all my franchise info/philosophies/scouting etc info on it also to evaluate players in-game, make notes on possible positions of need, and prospects to scout. It's my clipboard basically.

As you all know by now, I do not control any (yes, despite all the drama, I am happy about QB Autopass at least) players on the field (except kicks of course shakes angry fist at Madden God somewhere up in a northerly direction) and use Gameflow (which I'm not sure is very valid since without custom playbooks you can't really create your gameflow either can you? I could use a little assistance with that if you know, those not really knowing/just guessing/or have other ideas having nothing to do with that specific question need not address that specific question) Anyway, I use gameflow or Aggressive Play 100% yes 100% on Defense (ala DC) and Gameflow about 80% of time on Offense, or I call my own play.

Hmm, oh, when I'm first hired, usually I trade my players over 30 for draft picks and have no problem trading stars that do not fit my system for draft picks or rarely another player if they are my ideal type. I believe in building via Draft, not FA, but I will take a young FA off the market once in a while and use FA to fill out my roster. Again, always young R or 1-2 year players who may end up diamonds in the rough. (Something I loved about the walk-ons in Head Coach after the draft!!)

Salary Cap is on, always, as well as trade deadlines (all enabled) injuries, etc. I try to make it as sim/realistic as possible, of course.

I've never really tried sliders before, but I am going All Madden this time for difficulty and just keeping an eye on no slider above 75 per Jarrod. Question, if I'm not controlling any players, my Human sliders never affect the game correct?

hmm, well, that's all I can really think of at the moment, and I have to get back to my spreadsheet, but

How do YOU Madden?

1)Notes/Tools?
4)Settings?
5)Sliders?
Nice to see another Coach Mode player. Since you play as I do, let me ask you a couple questions: I am still playing Coach Mode on M12. I've yet to purchase M13 since there was no Coach Mode in the original release. Since the patch has dropped, I've heard of a lot of issues that still haven't been corrected - depth charts, editing, CPU AI, etc. In your opinion, is it worth the $50 to swap out M12 for M13? Or are the issues just too much to get your head around when it comes to a Coach Mode/Sim style player? Thanks.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsam
Nice to see another Coach Mode player. Since you play as I do, let me ask you a couple questions: I am still playing Coach Mode on M12. I've yet to purchase M13 since there was no Coach Mode in the original release. Since the patch has dropped, I've heard of a lot of issues that still haven't been corrected - depth charts, editing, CPU AI, etc. In your opinion, is it worth the $50 to swap out M12 for M13? Or are the issues just too much to get your head around when it comes to a Coach Mode/Sim style player? Thanks.
I honestly have no idea, sorry, I've been playing Head Coach since 05 instead of Madden. This is the first year I've played Madden since and I'm honestly very much teetering on still going back to HC but I'm starting a CCM now. (oh guess, that is obvious)

I don't know what was in M12 Franchise, but the new CCM is heading toward a decent managing mode, if it continues. I really can't even make a suggestion Try renting M13 I guess would be your best option!!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
Pro

kcsam's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeyEZ
I honestly have no idea, sorry, I've been playing Head Coach since 05 instead of Madden. This is the first year I've played Madden since and I'm honestly very much teetering on still going back to HC but I'm starting a CCM now. (oh guess, that is obvious)

I don't know what was in M12 Franchise, but the new CCM is heading toward a decent managing mode, if it continues. I really can't even make a suggestion Try renting M13 I guess would be your best option!!
Alright, cool, thanks for the advice. I've heard a lot of good things about HC09. Never played it. Better than Madden when it comes to Coach Mode players?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsam
Alright, cool, thanks for the advice. I've heard a lot of good things about HC09. Never played it. Better than Madden when it comes to Coach Mode players?
No comparison whatsoever!! You should really pick it up if you're into coaching only.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 18

I am in the fifth year of my Redskins dynasty
Year 1: I missed the playoffs
Year 2: Won the Superbowl with Kurt Cousins (RG3 was injured)
Year 3: Lost in the Wild Card round to Arizona
Year 4: I missed the playoffs

I keep a WORD document with the following with small blurbs of each section from my current season:

OFFENSIVE SCHEMES (helps me know what to scout for)
Quarterback
*Field General – scout awareness, throw on the run, and play action

DEFENSIVE SCHEMES
Defensive Ends
*3-4 Run Stopper – scout strength, pursuit, and tackling (LE)
*3-4 Versatile – scout physical and intangible ratings (RE)

2016 OFFENSIVE NEEDS
*I haven't went through my current roster yet

2016 DEFENSIVE NEEDS
*I haven't went through my current roster yet

KEY EXPIRING CONTRACTS
*I haven't checked contracts yet

GAMES PLAYED
*This season I will play the home games and simulate away games (The previous year I played each NFC East team once and chose 5 random games).

DRAFT STORIES
*I like keeping track of there twitter stories and where they go in the draft
Old 10-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Good thread OP

How do YOU Madden?

1)Notes/Tools?

I created an offense playsheet in Excel which is color coded by formation and play type. The next step is to group 10 plays into a SET that I run against an opponent. A new set each drive and possibly going back to a set if it was very successful. I also put a comment section to list hot routes, pre-snap motion, and what reads I should look for.

I also made an Excel draft guide where I plug in the letter/number grades I find for players and group them by position.

I do enjoy the player control portion. It's a 32 man online CCM (OS Vets) and it is fun/competitive. We utilize the no-switch rule and I support it. I use a MLB or Safety on D. I have often made 10 yards gains touchdowns lol, so I try to not get too invovled.

I like to build through the draft and run a conservative offense that focuses on not turning the ball over. On defense I want to make the opponent earn touchdowns. I try to play sound D and hope my opponent makes a mistake. The more passes thrown and runs, the more chances for a turnover.

I'm truly enjoying this version of Madden, and it is mainly due to the league I'm in.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »