Home

The Vision Cone was the most revolutionary sports video game feature EVER

This is a discussion on The Vision Cone was the most revolutionary sports video game feature EVER within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #137
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: The Vision Cone was the most revolutionary sports video game feature EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
For a team like the Ravens, I wouldn't need it at every position, though. Replacing Ray Lewis would be a matter of taking and outside linebacker who's raw as he is, putting him in the middle, user controlling him, and wiping away one of his biggest hindrances as a defender.

For that matter, letting Flacco walk would be an obvious no-brainer. Save the money, find someone with the same (or better) THP, S/M/DAC, with trash AWR, sign him cheap, enjoy my new franchise QB for about a $1 M a year.

Just doesn't sound like football or having to go through similar decisions it takes to build/maintain a strong team to me.
I read over this some time KB and I came to the conclusion that you are taking this matter of Awarenss to linearly. The scenario you just raised is one that takes place in real life - its not a superficial matter or hypothesis, these scenarios do play out in real life where a team is able to manage effectively still with a raw player perhaps even more than the original starter.

Awareness is Subjective

There are different things to be Aware of for each player and each situation is unique to the player, coach, and team. If you fit the spread offense or vertical offense, that is what you become familiar with. If you fit the zone schemes on Defense that is what you become excellent at and teams should scheme to use you more in zone than man if you are not a balanced linebacker.

*There is a role of coaching that can be exercised to breed success out of a player while at the same time not belaboring stress on their awareness. Its about putting your players in the position to succeed in the roles that they can thrive within.

Familiarity is also a blessing

A Quarterback who does not have to make long strides to become familiar with a new playbook is at less of a hindrance than the one who is known for IQ but fails to pass the hurdles at the Pro level using a Pro Offense.

Look off techniques, pump fakes etc; they all still become intangible - sometimes it is said the player just has IT - you can't coach it. How would we develop that IT factor into the game? Look @ Johnny Football Menzel - Heisman winner and the man is Raw! Freshman at that!

I understand your pt regarding having a need to increase AWR and to that I agree with the bulk of what BFD said on this subject.

It is the AWR rating that I think you are giving more heed to than necessary.

Looking at the whole: You are the QB and Coach.

You make the QB's job easier by putting the people in the right positions and you make the right read maybe 75% of the time. You also use the QB in a scheme that can match your sill level or his or both. There are QB's who fail here and pass there; they struggle with this coach but they prevail valiantly with the other guy. How do we factor this media?

It is a holistic project and it is just as BFD said, [...]There are already some good pieces in place with the DPP traits but we do need ratings to be tiered with more disparity and we also need animations to be tiered with more disparity - those two go hand in hand[...].

About the real life examples of heroes arising out of obscurity

Look at Kaepernick, look at Brady. QB's have flourished out of their bench ranks due to the veteran taking an injury and have come out to outshine the Veteran in a very short (insta-weeks) turn around time. Awareness can be raising ten fold while you sit on the bench!

Sometimes its a Match Made in Heaven

Could Kaep and Brady do the same with Any team based on their AWR - no. I don't highly doubt it - I outright say, No! Familiarity and comfort are key. In real life even the player personalities in the locker room affect chemistry on the field which then affects performance and yes even awareness.

Again, I hear you on having a need to exercise awareness but there are many raw gunslingers out there who have succeeded - Brett Farve was reckless man and look at the stats and success he amassed. Antonio Gates comes out of College as a Hoop Star and then goes pro to the NFL and dominates those ranks as a TE! What?! LOL

You're giving AWR too much of a heavy merit man and making it seem like its a far outreaching goal to attain a 99 when in reality 0-99 are arbitrary numbers to begin with and cannot substantiate the innumerable variables that take place on field using an awareness quantifier for success and fail.

M13 & Drafting by Needs
:Schemes

M13 is on board with factoring these needs to draft by needs:scheme. They even have production and intangible ratings for draftees. Its a project that is coming along - I hope they don't throw away the whole package due to some spilled milk.

*Converting from a 3-4 DE to the OLB position or vice versa is a common transition right now made by veterans and by rookie draftees. This is something they can expound on with more brushing and polishing but for now we gotta be patient.

I think forever the potential rating has mattered and can be more of a measure for success than awareness. This is why I am shifting your focus here: there are other existing factors that are overshadowing your focus on Awareness alone.

In short memo...

What I've digested from your commentary is that we still need to factor in the Awareness efficacy of each player - what I am saying is that its still not AWR alone that should be the be all end all even for user ability; that just sounds contradicting too when you mix it with user awareness.

We are in the era where DPP is available to us - we gotta use it to its maximum potential. Those guys should be labing those traits sun up to sun down, calling for cabs late Saturday mornings! If I take what you say so litterally it really sounds like we may as well let go of the controller as QB and watch the QB awareness play out? Might as well just watch the game, no? Its not rocket science but its also nothing to become frantic about.

*I'm not meandering your point but it does seem like that is what you're conveying in a helpless hands way if we don't get this AWR thing right.

The Average QB should already have a bulk of the same AWR regardless of his experience, same goes for any other position or they wouldn't be on the team to begin with. Your average NFL player should have like say a 75 average and beyond that you are in the elite realm when you get into the 90's but not many will stretch out of that 70-80 bubble. Wagering higher, you could make the average 50 so long as the elite are somewhere marginally distanced from the average bubble. This is the tier system BFD raised and another fella in the NCAA threads expounded on this, GotMadSkills..

In future iterations I could see how the Madden Labs are brought back and you can be trained on your IQ or players can be pooled on IQ tests. Perhaps even the AWR ratings get locked and cannot be altered. I mean, how do you accurately measure Awareness in real life using a streamlined course like we do in the Video game?

Could you, per se, walk me thru how you envision Awareness ratings should/could impact the users control of that player? I will reflect on the other variables that may be capable and responsible for threading your idea together.

Last edited by hanzsomehanz; 02-13-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #138
Pro

Madden has had it's fair share of misses, but the vision cone was not one of them. As basic as it was, it did separate scrub qbs from elite ones, with scrubs having a small vision cone, while elite qbs could see the whole field.

But as for most revolutionary feature, I'd probably go with player skills in nba2k. You can have 2 players with the same overall rating, but play completely different. Oh I still wait for the day when we got sig skills and player tendencies in Madden.

I know one of the old Madden's had 'skills', but they were just huge icons on the field and it didn't change how they played at all. There was no variety, everyone played the same.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #139
Pro

It at least offered something, which is a lot better than what we've gotten with other ea football games where you could play the same with a scrub qb as you could with an elite one. It should be harder to pass with bad qbs, and to me that's what the vision cone accomplished.

Another thing is that madden has a lot of ratings, but I have a hard time seeing the differences between players. One of the things that made me stop playing Madden 13/NCAA 14 was that I saw too many 'weak' players trucking defenders when they shouldn't, average defenders making one handed interceptions.

I'd like to see ratings match what's going on the field, and the vision cone as an optional feature.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #140
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fist Of Kings
I'd like to see ratings match what's going on the field, and the vision cone as an optional feature.
...and the ability to change the primary rec.!
Old 08-06-2014, 11:50 PM   #141
Just started!

OVR: 0

There has been plenty of discussion on this subject the last few years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2014, 01:03 AM   #142
Rookie

Jerikokai's Arena

OVR: 5
The Vision Cone was the most revolutionary sports video game feature EVER

Just one more thread which explains the lack of TRUE interest EA has for its users.

This website is one of the main websites EA uses as a reference/connection to its players of their games. It's supposed to to be a site where we can voice our concerns and give ideas to help make their games better.

Yet, for as long as I have been a part of this website, I have learned two things....

1. EA has yet to truly listen to us, the fans, on improving the game. Hence, why we have continued to express our concerns for the very same problems we cry out to have fixed each and every year.

And ... (For ea, what's really important).....

2. This site has turned into more of an advertisement scheme to promote the game(s) more so then to offer a place to receive input from us.

-----------

Seriously, this is free advertisement for them. It's all over the website, every year. They promote it with videos, podcasts, interviews, field tests at conventions, etc.

It's free advertisement to get people excited before every game release. Thousands of dollars saved in advertising every year.

They spend more of an effort promoting the release then they do fixing the games. Then they recruit certain people on the os staff to act as ears to the ground representatives to help correct legacy issues. Yet ironically those very specific threads are literally page upon page of the same corrections that still need to be made. Even to the point where the threads are so long and numerous it's two or three years old. They are recruited to help, they do their job yet the implementation from EA is non-existent.

Are we truly this blind or ignorant as consumers? That we allow them to do this?

Anyway, I digress. I'm off my soapbox now. Sorry.

Last edited by Jerikokai; 08-07-2014 at 01:08 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »