Home

The Vision Cone was the most revolutionary sports video game feature EVER

This is a discussion on The Vision Cone was the most revolutionary sports video game feature EVER within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #65
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: The Vision Cone was the most revolutionary sports video game feature EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
The vision cone IMO was absolutely terrible. Just my opinion. The worse thing about Madden has been its defense and that year they made defense worse by adding random gap blitz angles, that is your defenders would not go where the pre-play art says they are supposed to go, just so you could have time to use the vision cone. It was a mess IMO. If they bring it back as a mode then that's could be something people could look forward to, but they definitely should not ever make that something normative ever again.
Having reads > Not having to make reads.

It was one of the only innovative features introduced into Madden in the last decade that attempted to move the game towards REAL football strategy and mechanics.

Did the implementation need to be improved? Of course.

Did it need to be scrapped? No.

The main problems that everyone had with the feature were the visibility of the cone on the field for opposing players and the drastic penalty to accuracy combined with the psychic DB reaction to balls in the air that resulted in INTs galore.

There were maybe 1-2 other minor complaints. Thats a handful of problems that could have been addressed in the next cycle and we could have a mature feature by now.

If a handful of problems is enough to scrap a great concept, then kill CCM today.

As it stands now, you can get an athletically gifted QB with a huge arm and just go wild in the passing game. The main reason the Skins and Niners ran their version of the Pistol was to reduce their QB's reads down to 2 per play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #66
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
Having reads > Not having to make reads.

It was one of the only innovative features introduced into Madden in the last decade that attempted to move the game towards REAL football strategy and mechanics.

Did the implementation need to be improved? Of course.

Did it need to be scrapped? No.

The main problems that everyone had with the feature were the visibility of the cone on the field for opposing players and the drastic penalty to accuracy combined with the psychic DB reaction to balls in the air that resulted in INTs galore.

There were maybe 1-2 other minor complaints. Thats a handful of problems that could have been addressed in the next cycle and we could have a mature feature by now.

If a handful of problems is enough to scrap a great concept, then kill CCM today.

As it stands now, you can get an athletically gifted QB with a huge arm and just go wild in the passing game. The main reason the Skins and Niners ran their version of the Pistol was to reduce their QB's reads down to 2 per play.
There is a post a few pages back from a former developer at EA, and he agreed with what I said earlier in this thread.

It was a polarizing feature.

There was a lot of negative feedback that the cone looked like a yellow flashlight on the field. I recall the negative feedback becoming often and harsh.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #67
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hort22
how many madden games had the vision cone?

i only used it on madden 06 for the ps2.

a buddy of mine was talking about this the other day...he said once that cone came out i quit buying new games...hes still simming on 2005!
It was prominently featured in Madden 06 and Madden 07, toggleable in Madden 08 (if I recall correctly) and silently removed at some point thereafter.

I think the feature could have been better if Madden plays had a built-in idea of pass progressions that the player had to learn, which probably would in turn lend itself to proper implementation of a playbook knowledge rating for the QB affect how quickly he gets through his progressions. The cone would then rotate automatically for QBs with low AWR, whereas with QBs like Manning / Brady with high AWR they'd just look straight ahead since their cone covered so much of the field, as to "look off the safeties" if you will. As it was implemented in previous games, the double-tap-to-throw / right-stick mechanic was simply asking the user to do too much, IMO.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #68
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
There was a lot of negative feedback that the cone looked like a yellow flashlight on the field. I recall the negative feedback becoming often and harsh.
Come to think of it, it was incredibly ugly. lol
Old 02-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #69
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
The vision cone IMO was absolutely terrible. Just my opinion. The worse thing about Madden has been its defense and that year they made defense worse by adding random gap blitz angles, that is your defenders would not go where the pre-play art says they are supposed to go, just so you could have time to use the vision cone. It was a mess IMO. If they bring it back as a mode then that's could be something people could look forward to, but they definitely should not ever make that something normative ever again.
What made the vision control suck was the terrible control scheme.

Again, what does it matter to ANYONE who hates or doesn't want a vision feature, if it's an OPTION?

I don't care for Be a Superstar, it's total crap. Anyone's who's played it knows it's total crap. But it's still in the game is it not?

The idea of vision is absolutely required in this game. The camera angle defeats most of the challenge in passing the football and renders QB value nil. This problem is far too understated and ignored.

In Madden, and always in Madden, you can evade rushers/look at scrambling lanes/monitor 5 targets spread out all over the field....SIMULTANEOUSLY. Which of course, is humanly impossible. I mean, hello? Can this be any more straightforward?

If you want sim football, you want vision. Saying otherwise is hypocritical as far as I'm concerned. QB vision doesn't have to use that terrible RS mechanic, but many responders to this topic seem to argue against it because of that. There's obvious alternatives that would utilize vision without being cumbersome, but they ditched it because they couldn't see that. A shame.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #70
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
There is a post a few pages back from a former developer at EA, and he agreed with what I said earlier in this thread.

It was a polarizing feature.

Be A Superstar sucks. Don't we all agree? It's uninspired, it's got many issues, there's no soul in this mode.

Negative feedback galore.

Yet it remains.

That's not an acceptable argument to justify QB Vision being removed and discarded, in any form.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #71
Banned

OVR: 2

I loved the passing cone. However, I don't think it would work on this gen of football. The players your controlling do not respond to the your button pushes like in last gen. There's too much lag there making it nearly impossible to throw a pass, switch man to a receiver, and dive or jump for a pass that may not be right on the money. For me it, it feels like the passing game is scripted to the point where is doesn't matter how much speed you put on the pass or where you try to throw it....this gen it's is pick a receiver and push the button and watch the cpu do the rest. They would hav eto blow up the entire engine and start over which sadly I don't see them doing.

It's one of the main reasons I've given up on the franchise all together.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #72
Rookie

I don't think I would want the vision cone to come back ( or anything like NCAA where the QB would get rattled). What they need to do, is add more separation in the attributes from a rookie to a veteran. The ratings just don't seem to matter enough.

Maybe even add more play calling options for veteran QB's and fewer for a rookie. Make you earn that playbook, especially with audibles.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »