Home

Patch Updates without LIVE?

This is a discussion on Patch Updates without LIVE? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
Rookie

jack58's Arena

OVR: 0
Patch Updates without LIVE?

I'm currently without a console and thinking about picking up Madden 13 since it sounds like EA's latest patch fixed most of the issues. I'm stricty an offline player and football is about the only game I play much. I usually go with Xbox over PS, but I'm not sure which is the best deal this time around?

If I get an Xbox without a LIVE GOLD account, can I still download patches? If not I'm thinking PS3 may be the better way to go as online updates are free?

I appreciate any feedback!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Rookie

jack58's Arena

Re: Patch Updates without LIVE?

Somebody must know the answer to this .... With Xbox console, do I need a GOLD LIVE account to download Madden patches?

Sorry if the answer is obvious to most, but I don't know and it will determine which console I buy? I would ONLY use LIVE for updates as I do not play online, so don't want to waste another $60 on Live.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

You do not need to have gold to get patches,only if you want to play online.

Although (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) I believe you need to have gold to get the updated rosters,and if you wanted to play a solo online CC.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Old 10-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Rookie

jack58's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
You do not need to have gold to get patches,only if you want to play online.

Although (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) I believe you need to have gold to get the updated rosters,and if you wanted to play a solo online CC.
Thank you for the reply Cowher (and I still miss him as the Steeler's coach)!!

I've played Madden for many, many years, but always as an offline franchise player. I have no experience with the new CC mode (still haven't picked up M13), but it sounds like it's basically the same as the old franchise.

What would be the reason to play a solo online CC? If that was something I would enjoy, PS3 might be the way to go with FREE online??

Last edited by jack58; 10-22-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack58
Thank you for the reply Cowher (and I still miss him as the Steeler's coach)!!

I've played Madden for many, many years, but always as an offline franchise player. I have no experience with the new CC mode (still haven't picked up M13), but it sounds like it's basically the same as the old franchise.

What would be the reason to play a solo online CC? If that was something I would enjoy, PS3 might be the way to go with FREE online??
CC is the new "franchise" mode....basically franchise was taken out in favor of CC.
There are alot of similarities though...like trades,free agency the draft and so on. In CC though,you earn experience points by meeting certain goals,and by doing practice each week,then upping whatever player attributes you wish....think of it as sort of a "mini rpg".

As far as the advantage goes for playing online solo,is changes can be made without the need to wait for a patch...but the downside is,if EA's server is down for whatever reason,then you can't play your career.

Luckily I haven't had any issues with online (knock on wood..lol) but if updated rosters are your "thing",then without gold you can't get them (I believe).
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Rookie

jack58's Arena

Roster updates not a biggy for me, so I might be safe with an Xbox. I typically go with season-opening rosters then take a franchise as deep as I can (until I get bored with it). Once in a franchise rosters change from reality anyway, so never tried to keep up with each weeks roster update. Favorite way of playing is to take one of the weakest teams and build them into a perennial playoff contender, and hopefully a Super Bowl winner after a few years.

All that said, I can see where online CC could be the way to go if they can fix problems without a patch ... always HATED waiting on patches!! Which is why I have yet to buy M13!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »